Official Training Camp Thread: Beta Style

MOSteelers56

52 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

In addition to a couple of trades, some interesting players waived or put on the trading block today. They have some concerns (i.e money, injuries, suspensions..) but interesting nonetheless. Haden, TJ Ward and Odighizuwa.

Didn't Odighizuwa quit football or was that someone else? 

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Didn't Odighizuwa quit football or was that someone else? 

I don't recall that. He was like by a few on here (including me) coming out of UCLA. It's only his 3rd year and he's had some injuries and now the suspension.

5 hours ago, Chieferific said:

In addition to a couple of trades, some interesting players waived or put on the trading block today. They have some concerns (i.e money, injuries, suspensions..) but interesting nonetheless. Haden, TJ Ward and Odighizuwa.

Odighizuwa?  WT...?  He won't be on the street long.  Can't say I've follow his career, but I thought he had some serious upside coming out of UCLA.  

Heard on In The Locker Room with Tunch & Wolf today that Big Play Bill Gay was lined up at safety during practice today and that he lined up in sort of a linebacker position with Shazier.

Hopefully this is bad news for Golden

On 8/29/2017 at 2:53 PM, skywlker32 said:

I believe the tag is for the average over the past 5 years or something.

It is based on the average of the top five salaries of the previous season or 120% of the players current salary whichever is greater. So based on his $12 million salary he would get an increase to about $13.5 as the average salaries would be less than his current salary.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1960713-how-the-nfl-franchise-tag-process-works

http://www.steelers.com/news/labriola-on/article-1/Tomlin-on-coordinators-in-the-box-Mitchell/e5b20034-30e7-49b8-89a0-bdd5150c07cf

Good Q & A with Tomlin:

Tomlin...

Q. When we were talking about cuts last week, you said that at this stage, some guys are ready to go for one reason or another. Can you explain what you meant by that?

A . The competitive atmosphere that we have, the intensity of it, just erodes at men over time. And particularly those who are challenged in terms of physical talent. It is a wear-and-tear mentally at times, it is a wear-and-tear physically at times. This process has a way of making the selections for you at times.

Q. How does that manifest itself in players in the cases where you make that judgment?

A. In play. In quality of play. In detail of assignments. In availability. It is revealed to us in so many ways, and that’s the awesome thing that training camp is in this process. If you’re really open to it, it’s really easy to see. It unfolds in front of you.

On that note, I found it interesting that Tomlin was interviewed on Steelers.com. He said the 4th preseason game will probably determine the winner of the competition at long snapper as it's been that close. It had been assumed by everyone that the draft pick was a lock.

http://www.steelers.com/news/labriola-on/article-1/Tomlin-on-coordinators-in-the-box-Mitchell/e5b20034-30e7-49b8-89a0-bdd5150c07cf

17 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

On that note, I found it interesting that Tomlin was interviewed on Steelers.com. He said the 4th preseason game will probably determine the winner of the competition at long snapper as it's been that close. It had been assumed by everyone that the draft pick was a lock.

Interesting. You never know. One would assume that spending a 6th round draft choice on a long snapper would almost be like investing a #3 on a kicker. You would think they are a lock. We are on the outside of those meetings and evaluations so I guess you never really know.

Archived