2017-18 Playoffs

Sugashane

2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Happy for Alshon & Corey Graham.  Sucks that Pace didnt franchise him again bc he would make Trus life so much easier.

Let's not re-hash this again.  If a player does not want to be here and be part of the rebuild then why bother franchising him?

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

Let's not re-hash this again.  If a player does not want to be here and be part of the rebuild then why bother franchising him?

Bc whether or not a player wants to b here you have his rights and it gives you an opportunity to change his mind.  Lance Briggs was never going to play another down for the Bears...until he did.  

2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Bc whether or not a player wants to b here you have his rights and it gives you an opportunity to change his mind.  Lance Briggs was never going to play another down for the Bears...until he did.  

Exactly. Even if he refused a long term deal Trubisky would have had a real threat on the outside for this year and we may have had a chance at a compensatory pick (depending on FA). Or at least been trade bait. I like most of what Pace has done, but I hate he let talent walk without any compensation.

56 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Exactly. Even if he refused a long term deal Trubisky would have had a real threat on the outside for this year and we may have had a chance at a compensatory pick (depending on FA). Or at least been trade bait. I like most of what Pace has done, but I hate he let talent walk without any compensation.

Looking back, the cost to retain Alshon under the tag  last off season would have cost a guaranteed $16M.  Based on his history of injuries and missing practice/games I could see why the Bears were hesitant to commit that much money to him for 1 year when they knew he probably would have walked this off-season to a team that was more ready to contend right away.  I don't think any team would have traded for a rental player with a cap number that high nor do I think the Bears would have got a compensatory pick for him after this coming FA period as they are expected to spend a lot in FA.

30 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Looking back, the cost to retain Alshon under the tag  last off season would have cost a guaranteed $16M.  Based on his history of injuries and missing practice/games I could see why the Bears were hesitant to commit that much money to him for 1 year when they knew he probably would have walked this off-season to a team that was more ready to contend right away.  I don't think any team would have traded for a rental player with a cap number that high nor do I think the Bears would have got a compensatory pick for him after this coming FA period as they are expected to spend a lot in FA.

I completely disagree. Bears could easily have allowed him and his agent to negotiate with another team for a long term deal contingent upon the Bears getting enough value to trade him. Resolves the issue of him becoming a rental where he doesn't want to be. He and his agent could have given a short list of hopeful destinations and Pace could have reached out.

Benjamin fetched a 3rd and 7th, Jeffery is better IMO and only a year older. The Eagles were even talking with the 49ers for Torrey Smith because they wanted an upgrade, so I'm confident that they would have taken a look at him.

Hell, even AP fetched a 6 with how limited his body of work was in NO.

• 2 weeks later...

Still trying to wrap my head around the Pats benching Malcolm Butler today. From Butler’s emotions during the anthem it seemed like he found out right at game time, and then BB stuck by it even after the Eagles were torching them all game. Perception of the move to me was that it was very personal and punitive. I’ll be curious to see if more comes out about this once Butler has moved on in FA. 

VfYEJZ3.jpg

Assuming there wasn’t some off the field issue he’s conveniently leaving out, I 100% want this guy on our team next year. Good player who will never be more motivated than next year to prove he was done wrong today. Give me a whole team of guys like that. 

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

VfYEJZ3.jpg

Assuming there wasn’t some off the field issue he’s conveniently leaving out, I 100% want this guy on our team next year. Good player who will never be more motivated than next year to prove he was done wrong today. Give me a whole team of guys like that. 

The dude was pretty much upset all year that the pats tried to trade him and then brought in Gilmore to replace him.  Hes a really good cb and yeah im with you, id target him in FA.  

Archived