Rams 2018 offseason

holt_bruce81

Let’s stop with the Rams would HAVE to let Donald, Goff, or Gurley walk if they bring OBJ on board. Do you not think Snead and McVay is considering the long term ramifications of this move? No way they are thinking they will move on from the franchise QB, the best young running back in the NFL and the best young defensive player in the NFL.

Now I was thinking how I keep hearing nobody want OBJ antics. Didn’t Cooks sorta forced his way out of New Orleans? Yes! He wasn’t happy with his role on the team and the Saints decided against giving him a long term deal for a disgruntled player and they just decided to trade him to the Patriots. I remember the game against the Rams two years ago when the Saints scored 40+pts and Cooks didn’t even have a target. I found it odd. I even talked to my friends who are Saints fans and they echoed the same thing. I thought why would the Saints trade Cooks? Again it was because he wasn’t happy with his role there and wanted out. Nobody made a big deal about it. He was just traded, the Pats got their deep threat for Brady, the Saints drafted very talented OT in Ramszck and all is good. Yet with OBJ all I’m hearing is nobody want his issues. He hasn’t gotten in trouble off the field. Can he draw attention to himself? Yes, but that’s mainly the New York media. Brady screams at McDaniels it gets talked about one day then disappears. Why? New England isn’t the New York media. New York Giants also don’t have the structure that New England has at the top. All I’m saying is OBJ isn’t the first player that is young and talented that the organization would consider or actually traded away due to not wanting to invest long term and deal with his issues and he won’t be the last. 

28 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Let’s stop with the Rams would HAVE to let Donald, Goff, or Gurley walk if they bring OBJ on board. Do you not think Snead and McVay is considering the long term ramifications of this move? No way they are thinking they will move on from the franchise QB, the best young running back in the NFL and the best young defensive player in the NFL.

Now I was thinking how I keep hearing nobody want OBJ antics. Didn’t Cooks sorta forced his way out of New Orleans? Yes! He wasn’t happy with his role on the team and the Saints decided against giving him a long term deal for a disgruntled player and they just decided to trade him to the Patriots. I remember the game against the Rams two years ago when the Saints scored 40+pts and Cooks didn’t even have a target. I found it odd. I even talked to my friends who are Saints fans and they echoed the same thing. I thought why would the Saints trade Cooks? Again it was because he wasn’t happy with his role there and wanted out. Nobody made a big deal about it. He was just traded, the Pats got their deep threat for Brady, the Saints drafted very talented OT in Ramszck and all is good. Yet with OBJ all I’m hearing is nobody want his issues. He hasn’t gotten in trouble off the field. Can he draw attention to himself? Yes, but that’s mainly the New York media. Brady screams at McDaniels it gets talked about one day then disappears. Why? New England isn’t the New York media. New York Giants also don’t have the structure that New England has at the top. All I’m saying is OBJ isn’t the first player that is young and talented that the organization would consider or actually traded away due to not wanting to invest long term and deal with his issues and he won’t be the last. 

I do think they have a plan, but all of the numbers show that one of them will have to go. And if we somehow keep all 4, the rest of the team will be filled with vet minimums and an injury to one of them could kill us. Unless you're seeing something I'm not, but you can't just say "they have a plan, the wouldn't do it otherwise" without any evidence to back that up. Like I said before, if they go for OBJ, I'm going to trust them until they show me not to, I just don't see how it's physically possible to make those 4 contracts match and still field a competitive rest of the team.

Cooks never had blow ups on the sideline. Cooks never launched himself helmet first at a defender's head after the play was over. Cooks never got into a brawl in the middle of a game. OBJ loses his cool, plain and simple. A lot. Much like Peters, but Peters himself has said that he knows he needs to get better at that. OBJ has done nothing to make me think he's maturing in any way or working towards fixing that.

And he HAS gotten in trouble off of the field. Just because a punishment hasn't been given out for that hotel room video, doesn't mean it's not going to happen. And even if it doesn't, it still shows where his head is at. What is he doing in a room with hard drugs in the first place?

I understand the idea of getting one of the most talented WR in the league is intriguing and flashy, but it just doesn't make sense to me. It doesn't make sense financially. It doesn't make sense compensation wise. It doesn't make sense attitude-wise. No one knows whether or not his attitude could change. It could, and he could go on to become the great Rams WR of all time. Or it could not change and he could severely damage what we have in place and even affect Goff's progression. I would rather keep our picks, keep our cap reasonable, and have a team with great players from top to bottom than a handful of stars and guys off the street.

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

Kareem Hunt in the 3rd. David Johnson in the 3rd. Lamar Miller in the 4th. Jay Ajayi in the 5th. These backs were drafted 3rd round or later and combined with a 3rd down back could produce 80% of Gurley's production in our offense.

Jay Ajayi? Seriously? The disappointment and system back that is Lamar Miller? Kareem Hunt who fell off because he couldnt carry the entire season load and lost the rookie of the year award because of it?

And now you are saying we would need a 3rd down back added to the mix? Changing your stance once again

The Running game in Washington was awful, just nonexistent most years with those JAG backs. And none of those offenses were ever close to what we put on the field last year. 

Todd Gurley was a legit MVP candidate as a Running Back in 2017, that is very impressive in the league we are now in.

12 hours ago, The LBC said:

You did it in the post I quoted.  You started into both sexual and political themed posting which has always been against FF's expressed rules.  There was no reading into it required, you plainly did it.

This isn't an oversensitivity.  What you said was inappropriate... flat out.  

And you can knock it off or Webby will be dealing with you firsthand.

Dude!! YOU made it political, lol...NOBODY cares(d) about your stupid post (which was 'political in itself').  There's 'politics' being discussed EVERY day in this forum, or are we just making it football politics only? If so, doesn't this fall into the football "politics" category?????

Also, it's a PROVEN fact in today's world that there's gender neutral locker rooms/ bathrooms so I wasn't saying anything out of line there.

You say you're an English teacher? High school or middle? which one? I really hope you aren't "on the clock" while you're arguing posting LONG WINDED responses and arguments all day long ???

50 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Yea, lets all just stop living in Reality, its just easier that way isnt it?

There is no way, in a Salary Cap NFL, that we can keep Jared Goff, Aaron Donald, Odell Beckham Jr, Todd Gurley, Marcus Peters and LaMarcus Joyner all on their second contracts in the next 2 years. That is what we are talking about. That is not doable. ESPECIALLY when we have very few Top 100 picks to supplement the rest of the roster.

Sure it would be a fun couple of years, but it would be a ROUGH 3 years after that.

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

Jay Ajayi? Seriously? The disappointment and system back that is Lamar Miller? Kareem Hunt who fell off because he couldnt carry the entire season load and lost the rookie of the year award because of it?

And now you are saying we would need a 3rd down back added to the mix? Changing your stance once again

The Running game in Washington was awful, just nonexistent most years with those JAG backs. And none of those offenses were ever close to what we put on the field last year. 

Todd Gurley was a legit MVP candidate as a Running Back in 2017, that is very impressive in the league we are now in.

Do we forget that Gurley had a down sophomore season and also an ACL injury his last year of college? Look I love Gurley. I think he should have won MVP last year ( I would have won a lot of money if he did). But last year will most likely be the best year of his career and I believe McVay is going to switch the focal point of his offense to Goff instead of Gurley next season.  I believe ODB can be a top 5 WR of all time. Do I believe Gurley is a top 5 RB of all time? No, I do not. This is all my opinion and if you choose to disagree that's fine. RB's also usually hit a road block around 30, but Larry Fitz is still going strong at 34. Gurley's contract is going to be HUGE and it may be the only large one he gets for his entire career, so I don't blame him for wanting to cash in on it. But we have a better chance at replacing his production through committee and later round draft picks; and I think last year will be the outlier of Gurley's career, but hell I hope I'm wrong. Moral of the story, if ODB costs us Gurley in 2 years, I'm still all for it. Nothing against Gurley though. I'll miss him.

3 minutes ago, RamPackFan said:

Dude!! YOU made it political, lol...NOBODY cares(d) about your stupid post (which was 'political in itself').  There's 'politics' being discussed EVERY day in this forum, or are we just making it football politics only? If so, doesn't this fall into the football "politics" category?????

Also, it's a PROVEN fact in today's world that there's gender neutral locker rooms/ bathrooms so I wasn't saying anything out of line there.

You say you're an English teacher? High school or middle? which one? I really hope you aren't "on the clock" while you're arguing posting LONG WINDED responses and arguments all day long ???

You have such a toxic attitude around here.

5 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I believe ODB can be a top 5 WR of all time.

Well then there is no logical discussion with you on this topic then. Because there is an argument to be made that he isnt even a Top 5 Receiver RIGHT NOW much less all time.

Ill take Gurley over OBJ, because I can rely on him. I have no problem paying a RB in his aged 25-28 seasons, especially an all around/4 down back, its when they start sniffing 30 that you dont mess with them.

4 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Well then there is no logical discussion with you on this topic then. Because there is an argument to be made that he isnt even a Top 5 Receive RIGHT NOW much less all time.

Ill take Gurley over OBJ, because I can rely on him. I have no problem paying a RB in his aged 25-28 seasons, especially an all around/4 down back, its when they start sniffing 30 that you dont mess with them.

Youre right. There will not be a logical discussion with you on this one lol. I can't think of anyone not seeing ODB as a top 5 WR in this league. That is just absurd to me. There is no argument. Julio better? Maybe. Antonio Brown? Sure, I'll bite. Deandre Hopkins? Yeah, guy has had bad QB play and still produced. But that's where the list ends bud. Think we can end this discussion right about here lol Go Rams.

17 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Well then there is no logical discussion with you on this topic then. Because there is an argument to be made that he isnt even a Top 5 Receiver RIGHT NOW much less all time.

I agree with you on most of this but out of curiosity, how would you rank the top 5? Does his antics factor in or are you strictly going just off talent?

Based on talent alone I'd have him at #3, just behind Julio and Brown, and he would be neck and neck with Hopkins and AJG.

4 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Youre right. There will not be a logical discussion with you on this one lol. I can't think of anyone not seeing ODB as a top 5 WR in this league. That is just absurd to me. There is no argument. Julio better? Maybe. Antonio Brown? Sure, I'll bite. Deandre Hopkins? Yeah, guy has had bad QB play and still produced. But that's where the list ends bud. Think we can end this discussion right about here lol Go Rams.

Thats where it ends? You couldnt be more wrong. OBJ is a playmaker, and an Elite WR, I will never take that away from him. But to think there isnt a discussion of 5 WRs being better than him? You just named the 3 that are HANDS DOWN better than him. The highest you could even think about placing OBJ right now is #4. And when we get there I can easily put Keenan Allen, Michael Thomas and A.J. Green right infront of him as well. Not to mention Mike Evans. Plus the likes of Adam Thielen, Tyreke Hill, Doug Baldwin and Brandon Cooks all belong in that conversation.

My claim (to make a point) is millions of times more reasonable than you saying he is Top 5 all time. He would have some work to do in order to be thought of a Top 5 WR to wear Horns (Holt, Bruce, Ellard, Hirsch)

23 minutes ago, Car_Ramrod said:

You have such a toxic attitude around here.

are there certain guidelines of how our attitude NEEDS to be around here? lol....I see negativity in MANY aspects around here...and negativity breeds all kinds of "toxicity" so, don't let's not be hypocrites here

Archived