Divisional Round: Vikings vs. Saints, Week 19

Riddle

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

Good stats are fun. Our defense is special. Hopefully we can earn something at the end of the year to show for it,

If they can pull it off and get the a Victory in the super bowl I see the Purple Reign Zimmer defense going down as one of the truly greatest in the modern passing era.

On 07/01/2018 at 8:17 PM, AP_allday2869 said:

We beat them convincingly with Sam Bradford and Dalvin Cook. We do not have them anymore. As much as I like Keenum, he's not throwing for 350 yards and 3 TD's against the Saints. This is the one team I am not very confident against. Maybe its PTSD from 2009, but this game has me very uneasy. I do think our defense can give Brees and the Saints offense a migraine, but you never know with Brees at the helm. I'll be at the game on Sunday, so I'll try my best to do my part from the stands. I think it will be a close one, but Minnesota pulls it off.

I honestly don't know why everyone is talking up the Saints so much in this game. It's not like they got better as the season went along.

They were 4-3 in the last 7 games of the season, including a convincing loss against Tampa Bay in Week 17 with the division on the line, and a narrow come-from-behind victory against an equally mediocre Washington team in Week 11.

More importantly, the Saints have not won a road game since Week 10 at Buffalo.

All 6 games where the Vikings allowed 100 yards rushing this year came on the road. In 5 of them, they allowed between 102-115 yards.

The Panthers game was the only time they allowed more than 115. Quite a bit more: 216. Over half of that (122 yards) came on 2 carries, the rest (94 yards) came on 34 carries — under 3 YPC.

Packers at Lambeau, the Vikings allowed 113 rushing yards. 48 of that was Hundley, Packers RBs combined for 18 carries for 71 yards (just under 4 YPC).

Falcons in Atlanta had decent YPC (4.64), but a lot of that was either running on 3rd and long before punting, or running on early downs, trying to set up 3rd and manageable. Even so, Atlanta was 1/11 on 3rd downs (at home!), including 0/1 on 3rd and short, 1/3 on 3rd and medium, and 0/7 on 3rd and long.

Overall, the Vikings run defense allowed 3.68 YPC against, and 17.6% of carries against them went for 1st downs. NFL averages this year were 4.08 YPC and 22.3%. The Vikings run defense was 5th in YPC against, 2nd in 1st down percentage, 2nd in total rushing yards allowed, and 1st in total rushing 1st downs allowed.

The only game where they allowed more than the NFL average YPC and 1st down percentage was the Browns game. 

At home, the Vikings only allowed 2 run plays of more than 12 yards all year. Their YPC allowed was 2.82, and only 12.7% of rushing plays went for 1st downs. 

Archived