Bengals to hire Teryl Austin as Defensive Coordinator

.Buzz

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Can someone explain this one to me?  His defenses have been average to below-average most of his career as a DC.

He got his defenses to overachieve based on the talent they had. He had one year where the Lions defense had a lot of talent, and they finished 3rd in the NFL in scoring defense and 2nd in the NFL in total defense. He's not an elite DC, but he's a quality one.

Let's put it this way, in my mind, there are four types of DCs in the NFL:

1. Guys who can make wine out of water (ex. Mike Zimmer or Wade Phillips)

2. Guys who are reliant on talent but can get talent to overachieve (ex. Teryl Austin or Gregg Williams)

3. Guys whose defenses will be exactly as good as the talent they have (ex. Rob Ryan or Steve Spagnuolo)

4. Guys whose defenses will not live up to the talent they have (ex. Jim O'Neil or Ken Norton Jr.)

Obviously, you can't have a guy who is a #4. You can deal with a guy who is a #3, but it's not ideal. A guy who is a #2 is a good hire. A guy who is a #1 is a home-run hire.

14 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Let's put it this way, in my mind, there are four types of DCs in the NFL:

1. Guys who can make wine out of water (ex. Mike Zimmer or Wade Phillips)

2. Guys who are reliant on talent but can get talent to overachieve (ex. Teryl Austin or Gregg Williams)

3. Guys whose defenses will be exactly as good as the talent they have (ex. Rob Ryan or Steve Spagnuolo)

4. Guys whose defenses will not live up to the talent they have (ex. Jim O'Neil or Ken Norton Jr.)

Obviously, you can't have a guy who is a #4. You can deal with a guy who is a #3, but it's not ideal. A guy who is a #2 is a good hire. A guy who is a #1 is a home-run hire.

How about:

Great

Good

OK

Bad

:)

Archived