2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

6 minutes ago, Pad Level said:

The packers should draft Josh Rosen if they get a top 10 pick.  QBs are everything in this league and Rodgers will be 35 when he takes his next snap.  Perfect time to groom a top prospect. 

Eh the way the NFL is going the "groom the QB" thing is dying. The most elite a team can be is if you hit on a rookie QB and have a good team around him. Im not wasting 2-3 years of a rookie deal anymore on a backup QB. Play him, if he sucks you'll be back in the top 10 and can try again.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Eh the way the NFL is going the "groom the QB" thing is dying. The most elite a team can be is if you hit on a rookie QB and have a good team around him. Im not wasting 2-3 years of a rookie deal anymore on a backup QB. Play him, if he sucks you'll be back in the top 10 and can try again.

I don't see it that way at all.  It's hard, very hard to get a franchise qb.  Look at Miami, Minnesota, Chicago, Cleveland, Baltimore, Tampa, Jets, Bills,  San Fran, Kansas City,  Tennessee, Oakland, Washington,  Baltimore, Jacksonville.  All of these teams have one thing in common,  they haven't had a franchise qb in decades.  I don't want the Packers to join those ranks when Rodgers hangs them up.  

This is a really good year if you need a defender and you're picking in that 6-13 range. Couple QBs, OTs, WR, Barkley all pretty much assuredly going top 10. Would love Chubb or Arden Key in that range. Unless something changes I am pass rushing backer over anything if you pick that high.

It's got to be a pass rushing elephant end or Outside linebacker.  Corner would be next .. sucks to say, but we could really use a top flight starter at corner still.  We have spent a lot of picks on corner, but we've also let some guys go.  I think Randall is a slot corner, and Rollins has been a fringe talent the past two years.  I think King will be a pretty decent corner, but he's probably more of a #2 than a #1.  I don't care for House .. can't depend on that guy, plus he isn't anywhere near #1 status.  The reason I go pass rush over corner is because a strong pass rush allows cures a lot of coverage woes.  

I think adding a stud OLB to this team would be really exciting next year. Imagine the looks we can give whoever plays us in week 1 until the injuries stack up.

Assuming Burnett goes, we have Josh Jones as that safety/ilb hybrid and Clay as a OLB/ilb hybrid. 

1 hour ago, Pad Level said:

I don't see it that way at all.  It's hard, very hard to get a franchise qb.  Look at Miami, Minnesota, Chicago, Cleveland, Baltimore, Tampa, Jets, Bills,  San Fran, Kansas City,  Tennessee, Oakland, Washington,  Baltimore, Jacksonville.  All of these teams have one thing in common,  they haven't had a franchise qb in decades.  I don't want the Packers to join those ranks when Rodgers hangs them up.  

Other teams stupidity shouldn't drive your philosophy. CHI, CLE, NYJ and Buffalo have passed on many franchise QBs in the draft for no real reason other than incompetence. Some of those other teams have a franchise QB.

The situation you're proposing would probably give us 1-2 years to determine if that QB is legit befors giving that massive long term deal. If you give it to them based on fools gold (see Jay Cutler, Ryan Tannehill, Andy Dalton, maybe Cam Newton) now you've set your franchise back years.

Versus drafting a bust QB, you simply take one again in 2 years and try again. Look at LAR or Oakland last year with Carr, the jump from bad to playoffs is almost instant when you go from bad QB play to good.

This is guaranteed to be a fun draft nonetheless. If Hundley sucks, we'll be somewhere in the 6-8 win range and get a pick much higher than used to.

If we win enough games to get into the playoffs then recency bias makes Hundley the new Garapolo as he obviously performs well in this scenario and we could be looking at a really nice pick if Ted decides to move him.

Plus we'll be adding 4 comp picks as well as a 7th for McCray and Elliot I believe?

34 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Plus we'll be adding 4 comp picks as well as a 7th for McCray and Elliot I believe?

I'm pretty sure we missed out on the Elliot pick, he wasn't active in enough games IIRC.  Don't know about McCray.

Surprised this thread made it to the second page.  Anyway, if the season ended today, we'd have the 20th overall pick in the draft.  That's still the highest it's been in a very long time.  I don't expect any more than three more wins, and I'm not even confident with that based on how horrible McCarthy was calling plays and coaching yesterday.  I feel like the Browns could possibly beat this team based on how stubborn and sometimes borederline stupid McCarthy is without Rodgers.  I see 15 POSSIBLE teams passing us in standings, so it will probably end up being 10 teams passing us, which would give us the 10th overall pick.  I just picked a random mock draft in the mock draft thread, and here are the 10 players taken between 10-20:

Fitzpatrick - Safety
McFadden - Corner
Hyatt - OT
Adams  - OT
Guice - RB
Wilkins - DT
Jefferson - OLB
Falk - QB
Nnandi - DT
Alexander - CB
Ridley - WR

Then there was Key (EDGE), Landry (EDGE) and James (safety) taken in the top 10.  Looks promising with a few defensive backs and pass rushers available.  I think Spriggs sucking was blown out of proportion, especially considering his IR status, so hopefully a couple of those tackles go before we pick.  I really wouldn't hate a top 10 safety in this draft considering Clinton-Dix is breaking my heart this year and Burnett is probably going to go to Buffalo and lead the league in interceptions next year. 

I've got us at pick 21 right now. Fitzpatrick is a possibility to play cornerback. I think it's too early to draft a safety high. Haha has had too much on his plate with Morgan out and it's shown in his play. I'd like to see Morgan resigned as well next year. I think it's CM3 we cut with no cap hit. At this moment I'd like to see McFadden at cb or Chubb at OLB.

Team PCT SOS
1 SF 0.000  
2 CLE 0.000  
3 NYG 0.143  
4 IND 0.286 0.484
5 TB 0.333 0.546
6 CIN 0.333  
7 CHI 0.429 0.499
8 SD 0.429  
9 OAK 0.429  
10 NYJ 0.429  
11 BAL 0.429  
12 ARI 0.429  
13 DET 0.500 0.472
14 HOU 0.500 0.473
15 ATL 0.500 0.563
16 WAS 0.500  
17 DEN 0.500  
18 DAL 0.500  
19 TEN 0.571 0.443
20 JAX 0.571 0.443
21 GB 0.571 0.500
22 CAR 0.571 0.534
23 NO 0.667 0.545
24 SEA 0.667  
25 MIA 0.667  
26 BUF 0.667  
27 MIN 0.714 0.485
28 STL 0.714  
29 PIT 0.714  
30 NE 0.714  
31 KC 0.714  
32 PHI 0.857  

On 10/16/2017 at 12:48 PM, Pad Level said:

The packers should draft Josh Rosen if they get a top 10 pick.  QBs are everything in this league and Rodgers will be 35 when he takes his next snap.  Perfect time to groom a top prospect. 

We already have him but some people know him as Brett Huntley. 

On 10/16/2017 at 1:10 PM, Pad Level said:

More than half of those teams have a QB good enough. 

Archived