2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

Um, I have an unrelated question. If Brett Hundley under performs and only wins 2 or 3 more games out of the next 10, does his trade value tank? And should the Packers move on from Hundley and draft a new backup QB in the 2018 draft? Given the QBs that will probably be available, who and in what round, should they draft as their new backup QB, if Hundley fails to deliver?

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

We keep hearing about how the defense is our Achilles' heel, and yet people still want to use a first round pick on a WR.

What people!? When I read the boards people want Defense in the first round.

24 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Um, I have an unrelated question. If Brett Hundley under performs and only wins 2 or 3 more games out of the next 10, does his trade value tank? And should the Packers move on from Hundley and draft a new backup QB in the 2018 draft? Given the QBs that will probably be available, who and in what round, should they draft as their new backup QB, if Hundley fails to deliver?

If he fails that bad he has no trade value.

I am of the opinion that if you're picking in the top 10, you want to take a defender or a top flight LT. But my god, lighten up people. Odell Beckham has more effect on his team than a lot of people drafted ahead of him too. 

3 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

I am of the opinion that if you're picking in the top 10, you want to take a defender or a top flight LT. But my god, lighten up people. Odell Beckham has more effect on his team than a lot of people drafted ahead of him too. 

That's the kind of thing I mean.

Is it what I want or hope happens? No way, but if it shook out to something like a few defensive prospects with some real warts and a WR prospect you feel is a real winner, and the best pick on the board, there is a use and a need for that. I'm sure they'd be looking to trade down, but at the same time, if there is no buyer you can't sell. I am hoping for an edge rusher or another CB in the first, but depending on the prospect, I see the value a true elite WR could give this offense.

4 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

You can double check if you like but I took a real quick glance at his gamelogs and FWIW the NYGs are ~ 7-13 in the games he has 100+ receiving yards. 

Just now, wgbeethree said:

You can double check if you like but I took a real quick glance at his gamelogs and FWIW the NYGs are ~ 7-13 in the games he has 100+ receiving yards. 

But, like, correlation does not equal causation and an elite WR means as much to a team as an elite defensive lineman.  It's why the Giants were undefeated when Bekcham was healthy. 

10 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Hundley never had as much trade value as it was often assumed on this board, imo. If he wins only 2 or 3 games he will have next to none as PR said. Then we watch Darnold fall in the draft, we get him with the 13th-ish pick and let history repeat itself.

If Burnett leaves, I doubt we spend a top pick on a safety. It just doesn't make sense with Brice and Evans here, the valuation of the position, and the incoming draft class unless you really love one of the Bama boys. I have to think Fitzpatrick will be long gone by a team slotting him in at CB and I'm not sure Harrison has first round upside.

The obvious target this year is at Edge again. There's just a ton of borderline first round picks in Landry, Armstrong, Hubbard, the two Clemson kids, Allen, even Key has his set of baggage that might scare teams. Hell, a bad workout might push Chubb down the board. You've got to think somebody is going to be around.

8 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

Hundley never had as much trade value as it was often assumed on this board, imo. If he wins only 2 or 3 games he will have next to none as PR said. Then we watch Darnold fall in the draft, we get him with the 13th-ish pick and let history repeat itself.

Thanks for the response ESP. Isn't Darnold just a sophomore? Would the Packers want to use their number 1 pick on a backup? Or are you thinking he would be Rodgers' eventual replacement? Why do you like Darnold better than other options?

9 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Thanks for the response ESP. Isn't Darnold just a sophomore? Would the Packers want to use their number 1 pick on a backup? Or are you thinking he would be Rodgers' eventual replacement? Why do you like Darnold better than other options?

I think there's even smaller chance the Packers take a QB in the first round than a WR.

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If Burnett leaves, I doubt we spend a top pick on a safety. It just doesn't make sense with Brice and Evans here, the valuation of the position, and the incoming draft class unless you really love one of the Bama boys. I have to think Fitzpatrick will be long gone by a team slotting him in at CB and I'm not sure Harrison has first round upside.

The obvious target this year is at Edge again. There's just a ton of borderline first round picks in Landry, Armstrong, Hubbard, the two Clemson kids, Allen, even Key has his set of baggage that might scare teams. Hell, a bad workout might push Chubb down the board. You've got to think somebody is going to be around.

There's value in taking a safety early, just not the need.  I've got mixed feelings on Kentrell Brice, and I think Marwin Evans is solid depth back there.  But you probably don't need a safety.  CB/EDGE are clearly the two obvious needs on defense.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I think there's even smaller chance the Packers take a QB in the first round than a WR.

I agree. If Hundley fails, a third round QB as the new backup sounds about right to me. First round has to be Edge rusher or CB. I would like to see 1st round Edge rusher, 2nd round CB, 3rd round-a WR, 3rd round-b (comp pick?) backup QB. Of course the board has to fall just right for that to happen and it rarely does!

If Burnett leaves, I think safety is a bigger need than a lot of people will agree with.  I'm not willing to blame Clinton-Dix yet because we do happen to have a bunch of defensive backs playing together for the first time, plus injuries, which is never good for chemistry, but he is having a bad year.  I don't see Brice or Evans as starters.  I'd rather it be a pass rusher or corner, but if neither of those positions have high value at the time we pick, I certainly wouldn't be upset with a safety. 

Archived