2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

1 hour ago, MantyWrestler said:

We needed OLB and passed twice on Houston. 

This isn't true.  We had just won the Super Bowl.  Clay Matthews was the best DPOY candidate.  We didn't "need" a pass rusher in the sense that we had an all-pro pass rusher.  Our offense had been bad to okay for Aaron's career that far, and it was clear from us going offense with our first three picks that we were trying to fix our offense. 

17 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Oh so he has a fighters attitude. No way. Let’s draft another nice guy. I believe Houston from m KC had issues. Jones from KC too. Randy Moss... and xountless others. Once we draft one we’ll stick with him but no risk in the draft at all. 

Regarding Houston, yep we passed on one of the top drafters in the NFL to select Sherrod who unfortunately went down with that gruesome injury.

http://archive.jsonline.com/packerinsider/120708179.html

This was all pre-Guion, Datone Jones, Pennell, etc. when pot smoking apparently did not equal "Packer People."

Guys, like I said, we did not have a need for pass rusher when we passed on Houston, so you can't say we passed on him because of his pot stuff.  It's more than likely we saw a QB who just won a Super Bowl, we saw a first round grade on a tackle, and we went with protecting our QB. 

It really wasn't that egregious to bring it up.  It sucks, but if Houston went down with Sherrod's injury and it was our tackles keeping us from winning right now we'd be saying we passed on Sherrod. 

10 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

There's a difference between an aggressive on field attitude and being an *******.  Brian Dawkins was one of the fiercest football players ever while also being an amazing human being.  Darren Sharper was one of the most underrated safeties ever and would be in the Hall of Fame right now if he wasn't a worthless human being (63 interceptions, 11 touchdowns, try to fight that statement). 

Mike Daniels is apparently obsessed with manga and comics and all that and is still one of the most intimidating football players in the league. 

Don't try to excuse somebody spitting on somebody by saying we need a fighter's mentality when that mentality exists without spitting on somebody being a prerequisite. 

My point is we don’t have enough fighters on this team. We seem soft, especially up front. 

24 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Guys, like I said, we did not have a need for pass rusher when we passed on Houston, so you can't say we passed on him because of his pot stuff.  It's more than likely we saw a QB who just won a Super Bowl, we saw a first round grade on a tackle, and we went with protecting our QB. 

It really wasn't that egregious to bring it up.  It sucks, but if Houston went down with Sherrod's injury and it was our tackles keeping us from winning right now we'd be saying we passed on Sherrod. 

Stand corrected. We drafted Guy as a DL and Elmore at OLB in that draft but stuck with Eric Walden and all 3 of his sacks in 2011. 

44 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Even if we did have a need for Houston, there was a TON of red flags on him.  32 other teams passed on him.

5 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Regarding Houston, yep we passed on one of the top drafters in the NFL to select Sherrod who unfortunately went down with that gruesome injury.

http://archive.jsonline.com/packerinsider/120708179.html

This was all pre-Guion, Datone Jones, Pennell, etc. when pot smoking apparently did not equal "Packer People."

If you smoke pot at the NFL combine, knowing there is a drug test, you're an idiot. I say that as someone who desperately wanted him in the first round. 

11 hours ago, pollino14 said:

I'm not too well versed on this years draft class yet. I know it's early, but what's the general feeling? Is it top heavy with elite talents? Deep?

Too early to make any definitive opinions on the class.  From my early evals, here's my thoughts by position.

QB - Right now, Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold are all the top QBs in the class early on in my evaluation.  Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen both have tools to dream on, but both come with their fair share of concerns.  Baker Mayfield is trying to buck a bunch of different QB standards.  Beyond that, it's a standard class.  Overall, not a bad class but not one that doesn't have it's concerns.

RB - You have Saquon Barkley as the gem of the class, but Derrius Guice isn't far behind.  Not going to dig too far into it, since the Packers probably won't draft one high given the positional value and the play of Aaron Jones.

WR - No real stud WR in this class.  No Julio Jones.  No Amari Cooper.  But a solid overall class.  Should find starters into Day 2 of the draft.

TE - Mark Andrews is probably the gem of the class, assuming he declares.  A solid overall class.

OT - Not sure there's an elite pass protector in this class, but again a solid overall class.  Mike McGlinchey might be the best by default, but I'd take Ronnie Stanley over him.

IOL - Quinton Nelson and everyone else.

DL - Solid, no real studs unless you like Hurst in a 34 defense.  Wilkins is good, but just not sure it's going to be an impact position.

EDGE - Bradley Chubb, Arden Key, and Clelin Ferrell are the top EDGE in the class, but not sure Ferrell is a great fit in our defense.  Solid options after that too.

ILB - Probably like RB, just not a position they're going to draft high especially with Martinez playing well.

CB - Looks similar to the WR class.  Not sure there's a real true stud.

Archived