2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

3 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Jamal Lewis - Won a Super Bowl as a rookie after rushing for 1300 yards in the season and 100 in the Super Bowl. 
Eli Manning - Won two Super Bowls.
Reggie Bush - Helped Saints win Super Bowl.
Von Miller - Super Bowl MVP.

Those are out of all top 5 picks to win a Super Bowl since 2000.  No top 5 receiver has ever won.  So it suggests QB, RB and EDGE are more important at least.  There are different reasons to pick a different position, too.  If a receiver busts, they have no use whatsoever.  If a left tackle busts, try him at guard.  If a pass rusher busts, try him as a situational pass rusher.  If a CB busts, try him in the slot or at safety.  Except for the Ty Montgomery types, if a receiver busts, you've got a busted receiver. 

Not true, especially when you consider that 15 quarterbacks have won a Super Bowl without being a first round pick. 

I think we're talking across each other here. I certainly don't expect us to be picking in the top 5. Rodgers spotted us 4 wins, surely we can pull of a couple more to avoid that fate (or am I being too hopeful?) If we are then yea for sure I expect there to be a defensive player worth taking. 

Moving on - I did say besides QB. So throw away Eli. Reggie - I will always love the guy but it's a stretch to say he was really that valuable in the SB run and I think most fans will tell you he wasn't worth the #2 overall pick. So then we're down to Miller and Lewis - and it's just bad statistics to say that 1 player at each validates correlating it to SB wins. However, in reality this is a moot point all around, because any GM will tell you that using draft history to impact your current pick is no way to draft.

A lot of these high picks are situations that don't apply to us - usually teams that pick high don't have a 2 time MVP, Super Bowl winning QB. Granted, having Rodgers means we really don't need a beast WR, but we did see how the offense struggled when Jordy went out last year. So clearly there is something to having that #1 guy, and it would be a real shame if in Rodgers waning years he didn't have a guy he could count on. 

My argument isn't that we should draft a WR, it's that we shouldn't be closed off too it. For me, at the end of the day if we're picking high (lets say 8-12) I just want a high impact player, regardless of the position (within reason - no QB, K, P, etc). We essentially are a rich team that can get a heckuva lot richer and I just want us to maximize those gains. If there's an edge that can do that I'm 100% on board for him to come off the board. But if the only person on the board who does that is a WR - I'm okay with that too.

lol Draftbreakdown is going to a membership model.

Hey guys. You don't have the rights to the video you already post, theoretically. You certainly don't have fair use rights when you CHARGE people to view it.

4 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

lol Draftbreakdown is going to a membership model.

Hey guys. You don't have the rights to the video you already post, theoretically. You certainly don't have fair use rights when you CHARGE people to view it.

I find it amusing that they're using the Fair Use Doctorine to keep their videos up, but they want you to pay for it.  How is that any different than pirating movies off the internet?

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I find it amusing that they're using the Fair Use Doctorine to keep their videos up, but they want you to pay for it.  How is that any different than pirating movies off the internet?

They obviously have some loophole secret plan. It's not gonna work. 

We could have a great secondary and not know it. The problem is that Kenny Clark is still developing and nobody along that DL commands as much attention as Daniels. Worse off, we have little to no pass-rush which compounds the problem.

We're like the Patriots, only our coordinator didn't go to Rensselaer Poly-Tech...

6 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

We should find last year's draft discussion thread on the old site and see who was right and who was wrong and who wanted McCaffrey and who called McCaffrey a glorified receiver.  :)

I hated the idea of using a top 10 pick on him.  Had a 2nd round grade on him.

14 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Ok. Back on topic. Rank your top OLB/DE. Love these 3 players; tenacious  

1) Brad Chubb

2) Duke Ejiofor

3) Sam Hubbard 

1)- Arden Key  LSU

2)- Bradley Chubb  NC St.

3)- Clelin Ferrell   Clemson

I think all three are not only elite athletes, but they love football.  They are all 'elephant' candidates.

A little bit off topic, but I was reminded of Lavar Arrington for some reason and I was going to come in here and say we need a Lavar Arrington more than we need anything else, and by that I mean we need somebody, anybody, to make plays even if they give up big plays.  Our defense has been bad for a while, but the past two years we've been bad without anybody making plays, and that's what needs to come back.  Playmakers.  We can win games with a bad defense, but not if our defense is bad without making plays.  Wasn't the thing with Arrington that he was a crazy good playmaker, but he was always doing his own thing and cost his team a lot of big plays?

Then I looked up Lavar Arrington and I saw the Redskins had the second and third overall picks that year.  How did that happen?  Then I thought that Damarious Randall is our Lavar Arrington.  Randall has by far been the biggest playmaker on our defense this year, and I'm starting to think I've been way too hard on him considering that fact. 

So all that rambling aside, my main thought is that we need a playmaker more than anything in this draft.  Don't care if that's in the secondary, at linebacker or on the DL/pass rushers.  No safe picks, no vanilla picks, we need a playmaker on defense. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

A little bit off topic, but I was reminded of Lavar Arrington for some reason and I was going to come in here and say we need a Lavar Arrington more than we need anything else, and by that I mean we need somebody, anybody, to make plays even if they give up big plays.  Our defense has been bad for a while, but the past two years we've been bad without anybody making plays, and that's what needs to come back.  Playmakers.  We can win games with a bad defense, but not if our defense is bad without making plays.  Wasn't the thing with Arrington that he was a crazy good playmaker, but he was always doing his own thing and cost his team a lot of big plays?

Then I looked up Lavar Arrington and I saw the Redskins had the second and third overall picks that year.  How did that happen?  Then I thought that Damarious Randall is our Lavar Arrington.  Randall has by far been the biggest playmaker on our defense this year, and I'm starting to think I've been way too hard on him considering that fact. 

So all that rambling aside, my main thought is that we need a playmaker more than anything in this draft.  Don't care if that's in the secondary, at linebacker or on the DL/pass rushers.  No safe picks, no vanilla picks, we need a playmaker on defense. 

Since we're going slightly OT

LaVar Arrington is god.

I wouldn't be the CFB fan I was without him. One day he just randomly started following me on Twitter. I don't know if I had discussed him at some point of what. But I got tears in my eyes lol. I can finally start wearing his jersey again too. For a while there that was a no no to wear PSU stuff.

But yes, he did his own thing in college and drove Joe Pa nuts, the thing is, he never really gave up anything. Then in the pros they started to exploit him more. He couldn't cover a lineman running a route which didn't help.

Just now, NormSizedMidget said:

But yes, he did his own thing in college and drove Joe Pa nuts, the thing is, he never really gave up anything. Then in the pros they started to exploit him more. He couldn't cover a lineman running a route which didn't help.

Interesting.  I remember he was linked to us in free agency for a while.  Might have been an Arrigo or whoever thing, but I remember that.  No... I think it was a real thing.  I think he actually said something about it because he was a free agent the same time Woodson signed with us. 

Archived