2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

Just now, RoellPreston88 said:

Don't be intentionally obtuse. 

The difference is BB replaces draft busts with a FA or a trade, not a UDFA like Ted.

Free agents like Martellus Bennett? 

Ever think maybe McCarthy just sucks compared to Belichick as a coach?  You have to pick one.  Either Thompson is horrible at drafting, or McCarthy is horrible at coaching.  Both of them can't be horrible because if they were, we wouldn't have reached the playoffs the past eight years.  Even with Rodgers. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Ever think maybe McCarthy just sucks compared to Belichick as a coach?  You have to pick one.  Either Thompson is horrible at drafting, or McCarthy is horrible at coaching.  Both of them can't be horrible because if they were, we wouldn't have reached the playoffs the past eight years.  Even with Rodgers. 

I think Thompson is a solid draft, but since 2011 has been pretty poor. 

MM I'm on the fence on. 

And yes, they can both be poor.

Just now, RoellPreston88 said:

I think Thompson is a solid draft, but since 2011 has been pretty poor. 

MM I'm on the fence on. 

And yes, they can both be poor.

Thompson has been poor since 2011 compared to who?  Show me 5 teams that have been better at drafting since 2011 since Ted Thompson.  Consider where they've been drafting from, too.  The Broncos?  John Elway, whom everybody says is the best, is a BAD drafter.  So show me 5 teams that have been better at drafting than Ted Thompson. 

41 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Or having a really damn good QB is deodorant for a mediocre roster like the Pats probably have sans Brady and we definitely have.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Clelin Ferrel (EDGE-Clemson)

I've always been a big believer that you need three edge guys. We've got one in Perry. Brooks is a possible option as a third guy. I don't think Fackrell or Biegel are going to be one of the three you need. We need a second guy because Clay isn't getting it done. Clay is 31.5 and Brooks is 33. We're going to have to take another guy high next year to fill in these spots.

2. Jaire Alexnder (CB-Louisville)

Kevin King, Davon House, and Damarious Randall looks like a middling rotation going forward. A plus player to upgrade House would give this team a trio with some excellent potential moving forward.

3. Mike Gesicki (TE-Penn State)

We're once again bereft of talent at TE. Richard Rodgers is as underwhelming as it gets and I'm not expecting Lance Kendricks to all of a sudden begin living up to his potential at the age of 30. This offense seriously needs another weapon that can run and catch.

3b. Lorenzo Carter (EDGE-Georgia)

I'm double dipping at edge. With the age of Clay and Brooks, and the injury history of Clay and Perry, I think you want another set of young legs to gain seasoning for the next few years.  

4. Martez Ivey (OG-Florida)

Jahri Evans isn't a long term answer. Ivey slots in decently as a rotational guy waiting in the wings to be developed ala Lang. 

4b. David Sills (WR-West Virginia)

Height and Speed are two things that we lack. With an aging and underwhelming group.

4c. Deon Cain (WR-Clemson)

Height and Speed are two things that we lack. With an aging and underwhelming group.

6. Nyles Morgan (ILB-Notre Dame)

I like the trend of adding youth and speed inside. I think Martinez and Ryan do enough to keep the defense rolling, but the depth is underwhelming behind them. Even with playing Jones/Burnett a ton of snaps inside, I still think you want  third guy inside who's an ILB.

7. Davin Bellamy (EDGE-Georgia)

I'm collecting Edge guys here at this point. I doubt he makes the team but I want to take a shot on athletes on the edge this year.

2 hours ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Been bogged down with school and haven't been able to look at prospects much.

@AlexGreen#20 just listed 3 EDGE players in the post above.

Anybody else got EDGE guys to keep an eye on?

Clelin Ferrel, Arden Key, Dorance Armstrong, Austin Bryant, Harold Landry, Sam Hubbard, Josh Sweat, Porter Gustin, Marcell Frazier, Lorenzo Carter.

All guys to keep an eye on as Day 1-Day 2 picks.

This off-season is going to be tough. We really need WR/TE/OG help, but we always could use CB/EDGE help. If we cut Cobb I hope we make a play Trumaine Johnson/Malcolm Butler. After House expires we have 0 CBs not on a rookie deal, just don't think that small of a financial allocation is a way to have a good defense in 2017.

If the season ended today, we'd have the 17th or 18th pick in the draft (don't know tie breaker scenario for Bills). 

We better make the damn playoffs or lose the rest of our games because this season ain't gonna be worth no damn 17th overall pick, and that's not gonna help us much. 

Archived