2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

39 minutes ago, cooters22 said:

Let's say somehow GB does take or get Bradley Chubb someway, somehow. Where does he play on this team? Do you change your defense to accomidate him? Is he more suited for a 4-3 end position? Let assume our base stays somewhat the same, where and how does he fit? 

OLB, no scheme change required. 

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

OLB, no scheme change required. 

The reason I ask is because I see him packing a little weight on his frame yet. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong but to me he looks like or reminds me of a Julius Peppers type but I think he'd be better off in a 4-3, but good in either.  BUT my knowledge of this kid is extremely limited so don't kill the messenger, so don't kill the messenger I'm only asking. 

7 minutes ago, cooters22 said:

The reason I ask is because I see him packing a little weight on his frame yet. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong but to me he looks like or reminds me of a Julius Peppers type but I think he'd be better off in a 4-3, but good in either.  BUT my knowledge of this kid is extremely limited so don't kill the messenger, so don't kill the messenger I'm only asking. 

Why do you see him needing to add any weight?

1 minute ago, MantyWrestler said:

8 minutes ago, cooters22 said:

Why do you see him needing to add any weight

I don' think @cooters22 said he needed to, but that he could see it occurrig  (natural maturation and filling out of frame).

2 hours ago, cooters22 said:

Bradley Chubb is thicker than Peppers was as a rookie. Chubb is about as thick as Peppers was in his late Chicago years when Peppers was getting up to about 290.

You're always going to have a difference in weight though because Peppers is probably 3" taller than Chubb 

14: R1P14

DERWIN JAMES
FLORIDA STATE
45: R2P13

LB MALIK JEFFERSON
TEXAS
76: R3P12

TE DALLAS GOEDERT
SOUTH DAKOTA STATE
101: R3P37

WR ANTHONY MILLER
MEMPHIS
116: R4P14

EDGE JOSH SWEAT
FLORIDA STATE
152: R5P13

RB KALEN BALLAGE
ARIZONA STATE
173: R5P34

CB HOLTON HILL
TEXAS
175: R5P36

SCOTT QUESSENBERRY
UCLA
177: R5P38

CB TONY BROWN
ALABAMA
189: R6P12

TE CAM SERIGNE
WAKE FOREST
232: R7P14

OT IKE BOETTGER
IOWA
239: R7P21

DL KENTAVIUS STREET
NC STATE

Of all the scenarios Fanspeak has thrown at me, this may be the most realistic one I’ve gotten yet. 

Cuts/Not brought back:Burnett (tough but Derwin James is a rare talent), Montgomery, House, Goodson,Cobb and Joe Thomas (Josh Jones will hopefully take a step forward in his role)

Probably sign one of the top 5 FA corners and let Hill and Brown (who I really like) fight for those 5 and 6 spots. 

First, let may say mock drafts can be fun and interesting to read.  That being said, I’ve never understood the point of mock drafts beyond speculating who your team might select in the first round.  Hear me out.  The draft is not static - it’s ever-changing with each teams’ pick.  As each player goes off the board, it literally puts into motion an entirely new set of scenarios for each team to consider.  Add in trades, and you have a very unpredictable, insanely dynamic process.

Here’s what I mean - X player starts falling and Y team trades up to get player they want.  Suddenly there’s a run on a specific personnel group, and you’re getting insane offers from other teams looking to get into the action.  GB has four picks in the 5th round, and I suspect they’ll use a few to make some trades.  There goes your first and fifth round mocks.

I guess mock drafts are kinda, sorta fun from a hypothetical, one-dimensional standpoint, but unless you’re Einstein and can roll out hundreds of scenarios, mocks are just way too over simplistic for my liking.  

Like I said, it is kind of interesting reading your mocks, and I’m not saying they should be discontinued.  Honestly, I wish I had more time to plan out a super dynamic draft, that would include picks and moves from every team.  To do that successfully, you’d have to completely understand every teams’ needs, and literally have a high level of knowledge about every eligible athlete for the draft.  Crazy to think about actually.  Carry on.

7 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:
14: R1P14

DERWIN JAMES
FLORIDA STATE
45: R2P13

LB MALIK JEFFERSON
TEXAS
76: R3P12

TE DALLAS GOEDERT
SOUTH DAKOTA STATE
101: R3P37

WR ANTHONY MILLER
MEMPHIS
116: R4P14

EDGE JOSH SWEAT
FLORIDA STATE
152: R5P13

RB KALEN BALLAGE
ARIZONA STATE
173: R5P34

CB HOLTON HILL
TEXAS
175: R5P36

SCOTT QUESSENBERRY
UCLA
177: R5P38

CB TONY BROWN
ALABAMA
189: R6P12

TE CAM SERIGNE
WAKE FOREST
232: R7P14

OT IKE BOETTGER
IOWA
239: R7P21

DL KENTAVIUS STREET
NC STATE

Of all the scenarios Fanspeak has thrown at me, this may be the most realistic one I’ve gotten yet. 

Cuts/Not brought back:Burnett (tough but Derwin James is a rare talent), Montgomery, House, Goodson,Cobb and Joe Thomas (Josh Jones will hopefully take a step forward in his role)

Probably sign one of the top 5 FA corners and let Hill and Brown (who I really like) fight for those 5 and 6 spots. 

Your answer the the Packers pass rush issues is Josh Sweat in the 4th... good job. 

6 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I must say this board is criminally low on Malik Jefferson. I understand his pass rush potential isn’t as high as the more well liked prospects here but he’s young as hell and his upside is as high as anyone’s. 

Maybe because he may guy be the 3rd best ILB in the draft. 

7 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I must say this board is criminally low on Malik Jefferson. I understand his pass rush potential isn’t as high as the more well liked prospects here but he’s young as hell and his upside is as high as anyone’s. 

Upside is super high, but looked like a really athletic mediocre football player this year. 

Archived