2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

22 hours ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Springs definitely has issues and I agree he hasn't necessarily been playing well but I don't think he has been playing poorly either. A lot of mental errors and still has trouble keeping his hands on guys occasionally but he has improved quite a bit in my estimation. I agree Bulaga should hopefully return and start but I'm not giving up on Spriggs yet

I wasn't trying to imply that I was ready to get rid of him.  I think this is one of those situations where if the opportunity presented itself, I think Ted would seriously consider taking a 1st round pick.  @Da_Ducktator had a mock where there was no real legitimate EDGE or CB prospects available, and he slotted Connor Williams to the Packers pick.

We're not getting a top 16 pick, and that's okay (here's why)

TJ Watt - 30th overall, 6 sacks, looks the part of a top pass rusher.
Tre'Davious White - 27th overall pick, 1 FF, 2 FR, 3 INT, 1 TD, looks like an elite cornerback.
Kenny Clark - 27th overall pick, playing like an elite DL in just his second year.
Xavier Rhodes - 25th overall pick.
Harrison Smith - 29th overall pick.
Donta Hightower - 25th overall pick.
Cameron Jordan - 24th overall pick.
Muhammad Wilkerson - 30th overall pick.
Devin McCourty - 27th overall pick.
Clay Matthews - 26th overall pick.

If you're still not convinced on Kenny Clark, that's still 7 elite defensive players taken late in the first round since 2009.  And that's just on defense. 

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

TJ Watt - 30th overall, 6 sacks, looks the part of a top pass rusher.
Tre'Davious White - 27th overall pick, 1 FF, 2 FR, 3 INT, 1 TD, looks like an elite cornerback.
Kenny Clark - 27th overall pick, playing like an elite DL in just his second year.
Xavier Rhodes - 25th overall pick.
Harrison Smith - 29th overall pick.
Donta Hightower - 25th overall pick.
Cameron Jordan - 24th overall pick.
Muhammad Wilkerson - 30th overall pick.
Devin McCourty - 27th overall pick.
Clay Matthews - 26th overall pick.

If you're still not convinced on Kenny Clark, that's still 7 elite defensive players taken late in the first round since 2009.  And that's just on defense. 

You CAN get stud defensive players later in the first round.

You're more likely to get stud defensive players early in the first round.

I don't think this has ever been a disputed claim. 

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

You CAN get stud defensive players later in the first round.

You're more likely to get stud defensive players early in the first round.

I don't think this has ever been a disputed claim. 

Obviously.  I just decided to point it out since a lot of people seem upset we didn't flub for Chubb. 

On 12/13/2017 at 5:23 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

So Aaron's been cleared to play.  He's going to play the Panthers since we've still got a shot, so it looks like 8-8 is worst case scenario for our record.  Means we aren't picking any earlier than 18th overall.

Who are the secondary pass rushers?  The McKinley / guy the Cowboys drafted this year? Davenport UTEP, Bryant- Clemson, Allen- Kentucky, Armstrong- Kansas

I remember the names Chubb (he's not gonna happen anymore), Key I think, and then there was a white pass rusher from I want to say Ohio State. Hubbard

Gotta start looking at the lower end pass rushers and hope they're the JJ Watt (player people think can't possibly be as good as he looks so he falls a little due to stupid nitpicking). Ferrell-Clemson

2nd round- T. Edmunds  Va Tech

Then there is our own- Dooley.  To be had later.

Looked at Drafttek.com's 4 round mock draft.  They have Packers taking James Washington WR Oklahoma, Jaylon Ferguson Edge LA Tech, Jaire Alexander CB Louisville and Kendrick Norton DE Miami.  What do you think of that?  Also, any 411 on Ebenezer Ogundeko Edge Tenn St.?  My sleeper pick in rd #6 or #7, UW Jack Cichy ILB/OLB.

1 hour ago, jleisher said:

Isn't Chubb considered more of a 4-3 DE? What about Hubbard from Ohio St.?  

We need to talk about labels. 3-4 OLB/4-3 DE, it's probably best to just call them EDGE. If I'm picking and I run a 3-4 and there is a stud pass rushers, idgaf if he fits a 4-3 better, I'm taking him and letting him go get the QB. Guys like Nick Perry, Cameron Wake and Justin Houston play/have played "3-4 OLB". 

44 minutes ago, MNPackfan32 said:

We need to talk about labels. 3-4 OLB/4-3 DE, it's probably best to just call them EDGE. If I'm picking and I run a 3-4 and there is a stud pass rushers, idgaf if he fits a 4-3 better, I'm taking him and letting him go get the QB. Guys like Nick Perry, Cameron Wake and Justin Houston play/have played "3-4 OLB". 

I understand your point.  May not agree totally, but understand your point.  Now with that said, if the Packers draft like maybe #19 or so, who would fit your stud pass rusher needs?

On 12/15/2017 at 5:52 PM, jleisher said:

I understand your point.  May not agree totally, but understand your point.  Now with that said, if the Packers draft like maybe #19 or so, who would fit your stud pass rusher needs?

I'm not sure there really is a stud outside of Chubb. Landry is really good, I'm not wild about Key. Then you have guys like Hercules Mata'Afa, Duke Ejiofor but not sure they'll be a value at that pick. 

On 12/14/2017 at 5:28 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

Nobody is denying that you can get a talented defender after the top 16 or so selections, but the odds of selecting that defender go down tremendously.  I mean, let's looka t the defenders selected around them.

Clay Matthews - Vontae Davis/Ziggy Hood
Devin McCourty - Dan Williams/Jared Odrick
Muhammed Wilkerson - Jimmy Smith/Cameron Heyward
Cameron Jordan - Phil Taylor/Jimmy Smith
Dont'a Hightower - Chandler Jones/Whitney Mercilus

You're going to have hits mixed with misses.  Nobody is saying you can't find high quality players late in the draft, but they're usually few and far between in comparison to the top 16.

Archived