2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

39 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

So we should get a top 10 non-QB player this year.

Who is everyone's top 10?

20 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Taking out the QBs I have (not really a concrete order yet):

Chubb, Barkley, Nelson, James, Fitzpatrick, Wilkins, Jackson, Ward, Key, Smith.

Why do I have this sinking feeling that TT will trade down to pick up some extra 4ths and 5ths?

27 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Taking out the QBs I have (not really a concrete order yet):

Chubb, Barkley, Nelson, James, Fitzpatrick, Wilkins, Jackson, Ward, Key, Smith.

I know we need EDGE, EDGE more EDGE and CB. But how would people feel if we drafted Nelson with our 1st pick? Protects our man, helps us with the run game, and pass game. Almost all the 'evaluators' say he has a chance to be an all pro from the get go. He may be the most sure fire 'hit' in the draft.  Packer nation would probably freak. 

7 minutes ago, tredpack said:

I know we need EDGE, EDGE more EDGE and CB. But how would people feel if we drafted Nelson with our 1st pick? Protects our man, helps us with the run game, and pass game. Almost all the 'evaluators' he has a chance to be an all pro from the get go. He may be the most sure fire 'hit' in the draft.  Packer nation would probably freak. 

Ask yourself this. Assuming we get healthier and nobody regresses, can we win with the  line we have ? Ask yourself the same question with regard to the defense

14 minutes ago, tredpack said:

I know we need EDGE, EDGE more EDGE and CB. But how would people feel if we drafted Nelson with our 1st pick? Protects our man, helps us with the run game, and pass game. Almost all the 'evaluators' say he has a chance to be an all pro from the get go. He may be the most sure fire 'hit' in the draft.  Packer nation would probably freak. 

I'd be pissed if we took a lineman with our first pick ... Ted has uber success in the middle rounds with lineman ... pro bowl lineman.  Why blow and early pick on something you have success attaining much later?

17 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Ask yourself this. Assuming we get healthier and nobody regresses, can we win with the  line we have ?

Good point, I think we could.

But Key freaks me out, so does Landry,  Chubb wont be there for our pick. What other position could we draft that gives an immediate impact? Maybe CB.  If Nelson can come in and is an All-Pro from the get go he not only helps our offense, but also our defense keeping them off the field. Linsely's game would improve, run game would improve and could help out whatever RT we have next year provided he goes to RG. 

I know I'm all alone here, but if Nelson is there I think I want him to be the pick.  

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

I'd be pissed if we took a lineman with our first pick ... Ted has uber success in the middle rounds with lineman ... pro bowl lineman.  Why blow and early pick on something you have success attaining much later?

That would be my one concern also.  But again, if he's a sure fire Pro-Bowler, All Pro at a position of need how could we not take that? 

Just now, tredpack said:

I know we need EDGE, EDGE more EDGE and CB. But how would people feel if we drafted Nelson with our 1st pick?

It's not going to happen because it's a stupid move.  No offense to you, just the idea in general, and I can prove it:

We're going to pick 14th overall.  There have been 35 top 14 guards taken in the history of the NFL draft.  Five since 1990.  Guards aren't taken in the first round in general, much less top 14. 

It's a position that has never shaped a franchise, and when you have one top 14 pick in 10 years, you don't spend it on a guard. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

It's not going to happen because it's a stupid move.  No offense to you, just the idea in general, and I can prove it:

We're going to pick 14th overall.  There have been 35 top 14 guards taken in the history of the NFL draft.  Five since 1990.  Guards aren't taken in the first round in general, much less top 14. 

It's a position that has never shaped a franchise, and when you have one top 14 pick in 10 years, you don't spend it on a guard. 

I hear you.  I'll try to dig it up, but I'd be curious to see how successful those guards were or weren't.  Whats the bust rate?  

4 minutes ago, tredpack said:

That would be my one concern also.  But again, if he's a sure fire Pro-Bowler, All Pro at a position of need how could we not take that? 

It's a different story if you are talking a franchise level LT, but guards just don't have that kind of value in the draft.  Look at Thompson .. he's let pro bowl guards get out the door to avoid paying them big contracts .. our franchise just does not value that position quite as highly as others, and in general I think that is fairly common around the league.  We need pass rush help so badly .. would be surprised if we didn't go in that direction at #14.

10 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It's a different story if you are talking a franchise level LT, but guards just don't have that kind of value in the draft.  Look at Thompson .. he's let pro bowl guards get out the door to avoid paying them big contracts .. our franchise just does not value that position quite as highly as others, and in general I think that is fairly common around the league.  We need pass rush help so badly .. would be surprised if we didn't go in that direction at #14.

Totally get that. 

I just dont think any of the pass rushers are worth a pick at #14, (besides Chubb) I want a stud starter. Like I mentioned previously, Key, Landry, Davenport freak me out. Their first year they may only see the field on third downs and passing situations. Where Nelson would impact almost every play on offense. I'm also of the mind-set our defense will be better in every faucet next year regardless if any pieces are added or not. 

I'll stop beating The Nelson Drum for a few days at least and let the discussion move on! 

Just now, tredpack said:

I hear you.  I'll try to dig it up, but I'd be curious to see how successful those guards were or weren't.  Whats the bust rate?  

Depends on what you think of Chance Wormack.  Other than him, the only name I recognized was Jonathan Cooper, and that's just because of how big of a bust he was. 

On 10/27/2017 at 10:46 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

I have yet to hear a single argument for how they're a more important position or as important as safety, CB, pass rusher, DL, OL, QB, or RB in today's NFL.

The patriots traded a 1st round pick for a WR with one year left on his rookie deal, while letting their best pass rusher walk, in the span of 2 years.

The money says that they are more important than interior linemen, more important than safety, and more important than interior DL, and much more important than RB.

RBs are fungible, so are interior linemen, and so are some DL positions that don't rush the passer.

Archived