2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

Just now, skibrett15 said:

The patriots traded a 1st round pick for a WR with one year left on his rookie deal, while letting their best pass rusher walk, in the span of 2 years.

Come on, man.  It was the 32nd overall pick for a 24 year old veteran receiver with obvious talent. 

Who are you saying was their best pass rusher?  They traded their #1 pass rusher for a second round pick and he just had 17 sacks with the Cardinals this year.

Cooks isn't exactly lighting it up for the Patriots.  Remember when everyone said 200 catches and a billion touchdowns?  He had 65 catches and 7 touchdowns. 

The Patriots have absolutely screwed themselves with pass rushers and they currently have nobody, and their defense has suffered because of it.  They just happen to have played crap teams and have the best defensive coordinator in the league.  If Patricia gets hired as a head coach, the Patriots are going to wish they kept that first round pick and took a pass rusher - any pass rusher. 

The money says they are, but they're also selling more tickets than interior linemen, safeties and interior defensive linemen.  Don't act like that's not a factor.  You know it's true. 

Simple question incoming.  It can be answered with a single name.  The goal is winning Super Bowls.  You have a clone machine.  It clones players at 21 years old and you are guaranteed to keep them for the duration of their career.  Do you clone Reggie White or Jerry Rice?  If you say Rice, you're awful and shouldn't even be allowed to play franchise mode in Madden. 

13 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

The patriots traded a 1st round pick for a WR with one year left on his rookie deal, while letting their best pass rusher walk, in the span of 2 years.

The money says that they are more important than interior linemen, more important than safety, and more important than interior DL, and much more important than RB.

RBs are fungible, so are interior linemen, and so are some DL positions that don't rush the passer.

Exactly. Dudes acting like o-linemen aren't important. 

33 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Cooks isn't exactly lighting it up for the Patriots.  Remember when everyone said 200 catches and a billion touchdowns?  He had 65 catches and 7 touchdowns. 

The Patriots have absolutely screwed themselves with pass rushers and they currently have nobody, and their defense has suffered because of it.  They just happen to have played crap teams ...

While "everyone" may have claimed Brandin Cooks would have "200 catches and a billion touchdowns" can anyone really contend that his 65 receptions for 1,082 yards (16.6 ypc) and 7 TDs was not a highly productive season?

Especially when Cooks plays with a TE named Gronk, who had 69 catches, for 1084 yards and 8 TDs?

The reality is that NE finished 2nd in the NFL in passing yards, and Cooks has absolutely been the deep threat the Pats envisioned him to be when they traded for him.

As for NE's D, it "suffered" in 2017 by finishing 4th in the NFL in points allowed per game at 17.4.

And while the Pats may have played "crap teams" they also held Drew Brees and the Saints to 20 points (in NO), Philip Rivers and the Chargers to 13 points, and Matt Ryan and Falcons to 7 points.

As for "absolutely screw[ing] themselves with pass rushers," the final statistics reveal that the Pats finished tied for 7th in the NFL with 42 sacks. 

If the NE D "suffered" in 2017, can we get some of that suffering sent to Green Bay in 2018? 

2 hours ago, jfinley88 said:

i dont know this man but id like on this football team

I can't decide if I like the choke slam or the t-bag more. That is awesome. Thanks for sharing 

Seeing some comparisons to Mike Iupati not sure how accurate that is. But I'll take it. With Nelson and McCray (to start the year) at RT--that could a pretty potent right side of the line to run behind. I'd like to see us run more as Rodgers gets older. 

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Interior Offensive Lineman aren't important relative to many positions. 

You see it in draft capital. You see it in contracts given. 

I agree. But getting a stud G can go a long way. And I think he'd have a MUCH lower chance of busting than any of the edge rushers that may be available when we pick. 

With that said, I'm not saying I'd for sure take Nelson. But I wouldn't completely take him off the board at 14 just because of his position. 

What happened to BPA? Does that go out the window the higher you pick? I don't know...

3 minutes ago, Slinky said:

I agree. But getting a stud G can go a long way. And I think he'd have a MUCH lower chance of busting than any of the edge rushers that may be available when we pick. 

With that said, I'm not saying I'd for sure take Nelson. But I wouldn't completely take him off the board at 14 just because of his position. 

What happened to BPA? Does that go out the window the higher you pick? I don't know...

I apply a position multiplier to my big board. 

QBs and pass rushers get a 1.2x grade

DBs, OTs get a 1.1x

WRs, TEs, DL get 1.0x

RBs, FBs, interior OL, ILB get .9x

That was it naturally pushes the non-premium players down the board.

2 minutes ago, Slinky said:

It's not like the interior offensive lineman that many considered to be for sure home runs have worked out great in recent years. 

Ryan Kelly has been garbage in Indianapolis.

Garnett in 2016 was mediocre and didn't play in 2017.

Cameron Erving has been a disaster.

Laken Tomlinson has been a JAG.

Zack Martin has been a stud.

Xavier Su'a-Filo has been a disaster.

Jonathan Cooper has been a disaster.

Chance WArmack has been lousy.

Kyle Long has been really good.

Travis Frederick has been a stud.

It looks just as risky to me as any other position group.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's not like the interior offensive lineman that many considered to be for sure home runs have worked out great in recent years. 

Ryan Kelly has been garbage in Indianapolis.

Garnett in 2016 was mediocre and didn't play in 2017.

Cameron Erving has been a disaster.

Laken Tomlinson has been a JAG.

Zack Martin has been a stud.

Xavier Su'a-Filo has been a disaster.

Jonathan Cooper has been a disaster.

Chance WArmack has been lousy.

Kyle Long has been really good.

Travis Frederick has been a stud.

It looks just as risky to me as any other position group.

I was only talking about Nelson vs the edge rushers in our range. 

I'm surprised some of you are so against adding a guard. Not angry, just suprised. 

Pick #14

Chubb is gone, Key is gone (maybe), Ward is gone, Fitzpatrick is gone. Who do we take? Nelson seems to be the most ready to impact the game day 1. 

I love Wilkins, but just dont see where he'd fit on our team. Interior pass rush? He's not much of an edge at the next level. I'd love to see what Rodgers could do with Ridley's speed, but there is no way we take a WR rd 1. Is there? 

Just now, tredpack said:

I'm surprised some of you are so against adding a guard. Not angry, just suprised. 

Pick #14

Chubb is gone, Key is gone (maybe), Ward is gone, Fitzpatrick is gone. Who do we take? Nelson seems to be the most ready to impact the game day 1. 

I love Wilkins, but just dont see where he'd fit on our team. Interior pass rush? He's not much of an edge at the next level. I'd love to see what Rodgers could do Ridley's speed, but there is no way we take a WR rd 1. Is there? 

Big Nelson fan, I think he would be a plug and start at RG.  Many fokes are against drafting a G in the first round.

Archived