2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

Apparently Fanspeak made a ton of changes to their format to make mock drafts more difficult to breeze through. My first attempt went as follows 

This draft would prompt me to cut Cobb, Trevor Davis and probably Geronimo Allison.

14: R1P14

WR CALVIN RIDLEY
ALABAMA
45: R2P13

EDGE AUSTIN BRYANT
CLEMSON
76: R3P12

TE MARK ANDREWS
OKLAHOMA
102: R3P38

WR MICHAEL GALLUP
COLORADO STATE
116: R4P14

CB HOLTON HILL
TEXAS
152: R5P13

CB DONT JACKSON
LSU
173: R5P34

WR KAVONTAE TURPIN
TCU
175: R5P36

DL ZAYCOVEN HENDERSON
TEXAS A&M
177: R5P38

EDGE K.J. SMITH
BAYLOR
190: R6P12

BRIAN ALLEN
MICHIGAN STATE
233: R7P14

DL DREW BAILEY
LOUISVILLE
241: R7P22

LB NICK DELUCA

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:
22 hours ago, incognito_man said:

He's not as good as him. He's worse.

Wrong.

you are on the wrong side of being right, here.

I'm not a UW homer, Fumagali is alright, nothing special IMO. But he has more tools than Andrews. I know you're an OU homer, though so I'll let your eval error slide on this one ;)

Fanspeak is not about who you draft (not for me anyway). It's about where the value is, for various positions, about which position groups need to ne snagged quickly and which give value in later rounds. That helps you improve draft strategy.

The reason I like the idea of drafting OLB, WR, CB, TE (in that orer) in the first three rounds, is that it's hard to get a top pass rusher after rd1. The better WRs drop off in the mid second (depending on how demanding your criteria is). The CBs group has many of the highest ranked prospects in rounds 3-5. TE looks like it might just about give up a good one with a 3rd comp pick (in fact CB and TE could be in reverse order).

At it's heart, Fanspeak best asset is more about allowing the computer to pick every other teams perceived needs, than who you pick.

25 minutes ago, MNPackfan32 said:

Watching Minkah Fitzpatrick, and I just keep waiting for him to be better than what he is. Don't get me wrong, he's a really good prospect and he would be a positive addition to any team. I just kept waiting for more.

So much this.

I just watch him and see a guy who's going to be in Micah Hyde's role of Slot/Safety guy who doesn't rock either spot.

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

So much this.

I just watch him and see a guy who's going to be in Micah Hyde's role of Slot/Safety guy who doesn't rock either spot.

If you mean an Pro bowl safety that is near the lead in INT's, not sure that is a bad thing.  

10 minutes ago, squire12 said:

If you mean an Pro bowl safety that is near the lead in INT's, not sure that is a bad thing.  

If Micah Hyde plays at a pro bowl level next year, consider me to have egg on my face. I'll have no issue admitting it.

My issue with the "Micah Hyde was a pro bowl caliber talent who just was misused in Green Bay by our evil and retarded DC" or even the "Micah Hyde is a Pro Bowl Caliber Talent" argument is first one of sample size, and second one of again sample size, but more importantly a guy making his plays at the right time. 

Safeties get balls thrown to them and the distribution of those throws are not regular. They come in bunches. Hyde got a bunch of opportunities this year. He's made some nice plays on the ball, but he's also had a lot of opportunities. If he continues to get the same amount of volume next year and maintains the production, I'll be impressed but personally I'm dubious that it will happen. 

Micah Hyde had 5 picks (4 that were beneficial to his team) in the first 7 weeks of the season. That was when everybody was paying attention for Pro Bowl voting. Since then he's had 0. If Micah Hyde went the first 9 weeks of the season with 0 picks, and then rattled off 5 in the last 7 weeks, he's not a pro bowler and nobody is gnashing their teeth over letting Hyde go. There seemed to be this assumption that Hyde's production in the first 7 weeks was going to continue, and obviously it hasn't, not because Hyde is somehow playing worse, but because that level of production is unsustainable.

In regards to Hyde. Nobody was really sad to see him go. At the time, we went younger and tried to inject more speed into the defense. Can’t fault the team for that. 

Additionally, he may have looked better here had he not dropped a majority of his interception opportunities. Good player, but there’s no way in hell he’s a multi-year pro bowl talent. I just can’t see that ever happening. 

43 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

So much this.

I think Fitzpatrick is a fair about better especially man to man. I think he's a better athlete, but yeah, I get what you're saying. Rich man's Hyde. Not a bad thing, just not a great thing. One thing that bothers me about him at times is his tackling, seems to stop his feet and not deliver with power.

Archived