Coordinator News and Rumors

WindyCity

I’ll be the only guy here to say this, but I’m all for Bettcher over Fangio. We’ve been watching front-four blitzes for fourteen seasons now. Let’s go QB hunting for once. I want Rodgers knocked senseless, not side-stepping our of the pocket on every single play and always finding somebody open.

So far Nagy is hiring a lot of familiar faces from the Lovie regime.  Tabor was once thought of as an up and comer when he assisted under Toub here.  Went to the worst and most dysfunctional franchise in the NFL and its no surprise he didn't have much success in that dumpster fire.  Don't listen to the haters. 

5 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

I’ll be the only guy here to say this, but I’m all for Bettcher over Fangio. We’ve been watching front-four blitzes for fourteen seasons now. Let’s go QB hunting for once. I want Rodgers knocked senseless, not side-stepping our of the pocket on every single play and always finding somebody open.

I’m good with it, for all the reasons you said. I don’t see Bettcher as a consolation prize - I said earlier I see them as 1 and 1a for us. If it ends up being Bettcher though Minkah would fit that Tyrann Mathieu role REALLY well if we can get him. Amos as Deone Buchanan. 

16 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m good with it, for all the reasons you said. I don’t see Bettcher as a consolation prize - I said earlier I see them as 1 and 1a for us. If it ends up being Bettcher though Minkah would fit that Tyrann Mathieu role REALLY well if we can get him. Amos as Deone Buchanan. 

Isn't he a future head coaching candidate, though? I'd hate to have him for 2-3 years and then he walks.

24 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

As a biased Cardinals fan, you really wouldn't be wrong at all for wanting Bettcher over Fangio. Bettcher's defenses have always brought it, would be a home run hire for y'all.

10 minutes ago, G08 said:

Isn't he a future head coaching candidate, though? I'd hate to have him for 2-3 years and then he walks.

I wouldn't honestly. If someone was that prized I would be happy to take advantage of them and just have someone be his assistant that was up and coming. It is the same with DeFilippo as an OC. You take advantage of great coaching and development while you can, and great coaches should be able to groom the coaches under them and help THEM develop.

Plus remember, great coords have slightly more ability to choose where they go. Having a stellar defense would allow us to likely be the top destination for one.

Pat Mannelly loves this hire.  Says that Tabor was one of the best coaches he's played for.   He's really respected among the league, even if the fans don't like him.  Also, remember how many regime changes there have been there since he was initially hired, and the new HC decided to retain him every time.  That's speaks a lot.  Certainly I don't think we see a huge downgrade either way considering our special teams have been pretty "Meh" the last seasons anyways

Just now, IronMike84 said:

Good teams lose coordinators. That’s just the way it is. I think it’s kind of a loser’s mindset to want a lesser coach under the assumption he’ll never get a promotion.

I agree with you for the most part, but I do think that if Fangio doesn't get a HC job this year, it's pretty much shown that the NFL thinks he's a great coordinator but not HC material.  Hiring him over Bettcher would be good because we already have the personnel and can expect that he'll be around.  If course if we can't get him, at can't avoid a coach just because he might get hired as a hc.  We are certainly better for having Adam Gase for that one year than we would be without him. 

Archived