Chargers Re-Sign DC Gus Bradley, Extend OC Whisenhunt

game3525

After overtures from Seahawks and Packers, defensive coordinator Gus Bradley is returning to the Chargers with a three-year deal, per source. Continuity for the Chargers.

Very pleased with this move. The defense was the strength of the team this year and the best it has been since 2007. 

Edit: Adding in Whisenhunt's new contract too, to kill two birds with one thread

Just now, Xenos said:

Makes me wonder if he really wanted the Green Bay job, and once Pettine was hired, we were his second choice. Eh...whatever. Just glad to have him back. Now let's get him a stud linebacker and DT.

That would be odd, the Chargers have more talent on defense then Green Bay does. Maybe Gus is midwest kind of guy. 

1 minute ago, game3525 said:

That would be odd, the Chargers have more talent on defense then Green Bay does. Maybe Gus is midwest kind of guy. 

I just find the timing odd. But it could have easily been the opposite. Once Bradley was signed, Green Bay went with Pettine instead. Or it could have been Bradley's agent trying to drum up more money for his client and using reporter to create a bidding war.

13 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Makes me wonder if he really wanted the Green Bay job, and once Pettine was hired, we were his second choice. Eh...whatever. Just glad to have him back. Now let's get him a stud linebacker and DT.

We honestly have no idea what the timing of any of these announcements really are.  The biggest lynchpin that was pulled from the sound of it was Vic Fangio - and Nagy appears to have put the full-court press on Fangio to get him to stay in Chicago, realizing that Green Bay really wanted him and the optics of losing the coordinator of the one productive side of the team he was taking over to a division rival would be terrible.

Pettine has - IIRC - more ties to McCarthy than Gus does (Fangio had ties that went directly through their former DC, Capers).

No doubt Bradley's agent used it to try and get more money on the table, I'm just glad they got this resolved before any new HC hires came across, because Bradley could have been a hot name for an offensive-minded coach to go after - and the Colts and Giants still have hires to make (Cardinals and Lions too, but I'm anticipating that if the Cards don't just promote their DC to HC, he's likely to stick around as he's at least still under-contract, and I'm expecting the Lions to hire a defensive-minded coach now with them allowing Austin to walk).

10 minutes ago, The LBC said:

We honestly have no idea what the timing of any of these announcements really are.  The biggest lynchpin that was pulled from the sound of it was Vic Fangio - and Nagy appears to have put the full-court press on Fangio to get him to stay in Chicago, realizing that Green Bay really wanted him and the optics of losing the coordinator of the one productive side of the team he was taking over to a division rival would be terrible.

Pettine has - IIRC - more ties to McCarthy than Gus does (Fangio had ties that went directly through their former DC, Capers).

No doubt Bradley's agent used it to try and get more money on the table, I'm just glad they got this resolved before any new HC hires came across, because Bradley could have been a hot name for an offensive-minded coach to go after - and the Colts and Giants still have hires to make (Cardinals and Lions too, but I'm anticipating that if the Cards don't just promote their DC to HC, he's likely to stick around as he's at least still under-contract, and I'm expecting the Lions to hire a defensive-minded coach now with them allowing Austin to walk).

Happy about the bolded as well. It was good that Lynn and TT made that commitment to Bradley as soon as the season was sadly over. Instead of you know dragging it on and letting Bradley get away.

4 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

Good re-sign for the chargers, hopefully they can try and build off of this year's success and not have all of their good players on IR by week 3. 

Whatever new conditioning they did this past offseason worked for the most part. Here's hoping it continues in 2018.

41 minutes ago, Xenos said:

could also be him using GB as leverage in his talks with SD

Archived