Wolf to Cleveland

Toddfather

I'm OK with Wolf leaving.  I would have preferred them to have gone outside the organization for GM and a full clean house of the front office anyways.  Seems to me the overall talent level of this team has been on the decline for some time now (became brutally apparent after ARod went down) and that made everyone associated with the front office suspect in my opinion.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Elliot Wolf was the Packer's pro personnel scout, right? That means he must of had some say in the following signings last year:

Martellus Bennett (bust)

Lance Kendricks (meh)

Jahre Evans (OK as a one year rental)

Davon House (meh)

Ricky Jean Francois (bust)

Quinton Dial (meh)

Ahmad Brooks (OK as a one year rental)

Good bye, Elliot. Don't let the door knob....

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2018 at 5:07 PM, ArthurPensky said:

I'm surprised I haven't heard anything about a potential promotion/ outside hire with Wold and Highsmith leaving GB.

Looks like McCloughan (a favorite of several fans on this board if I recall) is no longer available as an outside hire.  CLE is bringing him on as a personnel consultant.  This means CLE now has Dorsey, Wolf, Highsmith and McClouhan running the personnel side.  To be perfectly honest, I think that same group was there for the taking had Murphy wanted to go that direction, and I think I'd probably take that group over the guys now calling the shots in GB.   

6 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

To be perfectly honest, I think that same group was there for the taking had Murphy wanted to go that direction, and I think I'd probably take that group over the guys now calling the shots in GB.   

Really? Were you going to force TT out the door in 2013?

Not exactly sure why anyone would take exception to the idea of preferring the group of Dorsey, Wolf, Highsmith and McClouhan over Gute, Ball and TT to run a personnel department in today's NFL.  Pretty sure some member just hurl insults because they can, rather than b/c there is something to be upset about.

7 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Not exactly sure why anyone would take exception to the idea of preferring the group of Dorsey, Wolf, Highsmith and McClouhan over Gute, Ball and TT to run a personnel department in today's NFL.  Pretty sure some member just hurl insults because they can, rather than b/c there is something to be upset about.

Because there was no actual opportunity for that to exist. Dorsey wanted a year off after being fired and collecting a free multi million dollar paycheck to lounge in Door County for 6 months. We would've had to fire Ted with 4 weeks to go in the season to get Dorsey. Wolf still would've left GB, because this was the job he thought he had and he probably would've followed Gutey to Houston this offseason. So we'd have Dorsey, Highsmith, McCloughan in this mock scenario and that would include the impossible firing Ted mid season.

On 2/4/2018 at 3:11 PM, Mazrimiv said:

Looks like McCloughan (a favorite of several fans on this board if I recall) is no longer available as an outside hire.  CLE is bringing him on as a personnel consultant.  This means CLE now has Dorsey, Wolf, Highsmith and McClouhan running the personnel side.  To be perfectly honest, I think that same group was there for the taking had Murphy wanted to go that direction, and I think I'd probably take that group over the guys now calling the shots in GB.   

You can have them.  Not a salary cap expert in the bunch.  Dorsey was shown the door in KC with nothing to show for it except bad salary cap situation.  Wolf's input into FA  ended with a resounding FAIL.  Highsmith is a good scout, but could not run a front office.

Please don't come back next year hailing that group because of the draft they achieved.  Clevelands previous GM left an unbelievable stocked cupboard as far as draft picks are concerned.  These guys have gathered in Cleveland because of the opportunity sitting there with two top 5 picks and five picks in the first three rounds.  Plus, all they have to do is win ONE game and they've improved.

Gute and Ball > Cleveland FO in the long run.

I was curious and watched Dorsey's introductory news conference. Anyone else see it or want to google it and let me know what you think ? 

He seemed a bit off putting to me for some reason. I'll admit to having some pre-conceived notions, just wondering if anyone else has an opinion

Also very interesting to see how the media interacts. Night and day difference from the powder puff GB media

Archived