Offseason news/rumours

KimuraGod

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

What do you mean not necessarily.  If he continues on his trajectory as the next great QB they could have him on a reasonable deal as the cap rises and the rest of the QB's get paid.

I didn't see the contract but it's likely a glorified 3 year deal with an out after that.  Lets say he does bomb out next year you are likely giving him another year to right the ship anyway which is two seasons if he bombs yet again then you are drafting a QB high and you really only have to eat 1 more year at 27M before getting out and moving on.

Worth the risk IMO.

If they extended him halfway through the year, they might be paying more, but not necessarily significantly.  I'd think a contract is worth an extra 2-3 mil a year just to ensure that you're not making a potentially disastrous move.  With that said, fair point on the glorified three year deal.

Just now, barnaby8787 said:

Again, bad defenses.  We don't have a top 20 D, but we're trending.  And I know Brees is a hall of famer.  Just saying, you can't always point fingers at the QB.

Elite QBs can make the playoffs with a bad defense. If your making 30-35 m you need to be elite IMO.  Rodgers, Manning, Brees etc win with bad defenses and this guy is going to get paid like he’s in that tier of players. I don’t see our defense really trending anywhere honestly, but that’s another discussion.

hes good but I have no interest giving him a mega deal as if he is some elite player.

I like Jimmy Gs contract. Got some protection in there.

45 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

You're talking about making him the highest paid player in the league by over 20%.  That's insanity.  

Jimmy got 27.5, his agent will likely start somewhere around 30M, multiple teams will send offers and you somehow think it won't likely reach 35M potentially? Understand how the market works and couple that with the fact that he's a proven Quarterback.

We really don't have many choices because it's either that or sell the farm to move up to 1 or 2 or reach on Mayfield or settle for Allen.

3 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

If they extended him halfway through the year, they might be paying more, but not necessarily significantly.  I'd think a contract is worth an extra 2-3 mil a year just to ensure that you're not making a potentially disastrous move.  With that said, fair point on the glorified three year deal.

Fair point yourself because it may only be 3-5M more which isn't breaking the bank I suppose.  

Just now, KingOfTheDot said:

Jimmy got 27.5, his agent will likely start somewhere around 30M, multiple teams will send offers and you somehow think it won't likely reach 35M potentially? Understand how the market works and couple that with the fact that he's a proven Quarterback.

We really don't have many choices because it's either that or sell the farm to move up to 1 or 2 or reach on Mayfield or settle for Allen.

Or take the better QB in Jackson over Allen. 

1 minute ago, GangGreen420 said:

Elite QBs can make the playoffs with a bad defense. If your making 30-35 m you need to be elite IMO.  Rodgers, Manning, Brees etc win with bad defenses and this guy is going to get paid like he’s in that tier of players. I don’t see our defense really trending anywhere honestly, but that’s another discussion.

hes good but I have no interest giving him a mega deal as if he is some elite player.

I like Jimmy Gs contract. Got some protection in there.

Very few can man.  Brady is one of the few that can do it consistently do it.  3 of the top 4 D's in the league were in the conference championship games.

2 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Very few can man.  Brady is one of the few that can do it consistently do it.  3 of the top 4 D's in the league were in the conference championship games.

Which is why I don’t want to pay top 12ish QB so much money when the rest of the team has a ways to go. But I digress, Woody doesn’t give a flying **** about winning anyway and Cousins will give him headlines which is all he cares about.

6 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Which is why I don’t want to pay top 12ish QB so much money when the rest of the team has a ways to go. But I digress, Woody doesn’t give a flying **** about winning anyway and Cousins will give him headlines which is all he cares about.

I'm ok paying him, just not paying him stupid money

13 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I don't see how it's hitting 35 mil.  If it does, we need to back out.  Also, you might be one of the few who feel we'd be "reaching" on Mayfield.

2 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I don't see how it's hitting 35 mil.  If it does, we need to back out.  Also, you might be one of the few who feel we'd be "reaching" on Mayfield.

It shouldn’t get to 35 unless we are bidding against the Browns or someone wants him BAD.

i think GTD monies will play the biggest role though 

8 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

You don't see how? If its a bidding war it'll reach close to 35, guys were already expecting 30 per year and with multiple suitors someone is going to drive the price.

Mayfield would be a reach for us.

5 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Jackson is a scary thought, I can't get behind that right now.

So Mayfield is a reach and Jackson is a scary thought then what do you want to do?  Pay Cousins 35M, trade up for Rosen/Darnold (if it's even possible which I doubt), or take the second coming of Hack in Josh Allen?

Archived