2018 Free Agency

turtle28

8 hours ago, oldman9er said:

I am starting to prefer the idea of adding a FA player for both of the trenches. NT or LG that will battle and likely win the starting role. 

Then, draft a speedy WR early.. and a CB later to add depth and competition. This could give Moreau, Dunbar, even Holsey a longer look to impress. 

This free agency sucks .

but if skins can lure in Bennie Logan and like Kyle fuller and Shane ray than it'd been good considering .

muhummad Wilkerson is someone I'd look at . 

8 hours ago, footy_29 said:

Maybe for elite talent, but not for depth on day 2 and early on day 3.

Yes, this is what I had in mind, for the most part. I wouldn't complain about a day 1 WR, but I'd prefer they snag one on day 2. When I say early, I generally mean the first 2-3 rounds. 

I think there are going to be plenty of day 2 options. Getting a day 2 speed option would reinforce the position, while also not completely pushing out a strong competition from others already on the depth chart. 

As an LSU fan, my homer target is DJ Chark on day 2.  :) 

I’m definitely open to the idea of taking a pure blazer in that 4th-6th round range to potentially stretch the defense. But I’m not a big fan of trying to force a “type” of player (like “we need a deep threat”), at least not in this offense and with this QB. 

I think it would be tough to come up with a fit that makes more sense than Jarvis Landry to the Redskins. With Alex Smith at QB, in a Jay Gruden offense, the emphasis is going to be on pre-snap reads that create quick, efficient, high-percentage throws.

Which means we’ll need receivers who can get open quickly and hurt defenses after the catch. That’s how guys like Jeremy Maclin, Dexter McCluster, Donnie Avery, and even the aforementioned Albert Wilson have been able to make impacts with Smith in this sort of offense — and it’s why big clunky WRs like Dwayne Bowe have mostly fizzled in the same situation. 

I don’t know that we need a guy on Landry’s level (or with his price tag). But he would be an absolutely perfect fit. With Landry, Crowder, and Reed on the field, all of whom can get open extremely quickly, the passing game would be able to make up for some of the weaknesses of the run game in terms of reliably being able to pick up short yardage. 

38 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

There is talk about Tavon Austin being released by the Rams, link. I think it would be worth a flyer to have a guy that can stretch the field like he can. Could get him on a reasonable contract too because he has been largely ineffective in the past years.

He's going to be released because he sucks. We already saw what he looks like in this offense because McVay runs the exact same offense. Would be an absolute waste of a roster space. He should be in the CFL where he could take advantage of the wide field.

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

He's going to be released because he sucks. We already saw what he looks like in this offense because McVay runs the exact same offense. Would be an absolute waste of a roster space. He should be in the CFL where he could take advantage of the wide field.

I would still rather have him returning punts than Jamison Crowder. 

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

His speed and agility is ridiculous. We can use him on atleast returns . Heck sometimes split carriers maybe with Thompson , and gruden likes to throw quick screens .

6 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

There is talk about Tavon Austin being released by the Rams, link. I think it would be worth a flyer to have a guy that can stretch the field like he can. Could get him on a reasonable contract too because he has been largely ineffective in the past years.

I agree with you. He sucked with the Rams but man if we can somehow use him right than we can get a steal.

Archived