2018 Free Agency

turtle28

38 minutes ago, SeanTayorsaPIMP said:

The only vet RBs I'd like to sign are Hyde and Crowell. 

I keep wondering about these two guys also. The top RB contract in last year’s FA market was Latavius Murray at 3/$15M. Eddie Lacy got 1/$4.2M, Lynch got 2/$9M, Peterson got 2/$7M, Gillislee got 2/$6.4M, etc.

And that was in an offseason where the draft didn’t seem at the time to have quite the depth at RB that we’re seeing this year — as I recall it was Fournette/McCaffrey in the top half of the 1st and then basically just Cook until the 3rd. Obviously we know now that Kamara and Hunt and some others can play, but the perceived thinner draft probably drove up FA prices a bit.

I know lots of folks would hate giving money to an FA back like Hyde or Crowell. I can’t really blame them — it goes against my usual policy, which is to go young at RB and not spend money on veterans. But sometimes you can find value by zigging when everyone else intends to zag. And if everyone else with RB needs intends to patch their hole with a rookie, we might be able to get a still-effective veteran for a really favorable price. 

I like the idea of getting a hotshot RB in the draft this year. But the bottom line is that barring any trade downs, we only have two picks in this draft that I think we can reasonably hope will give us shots at immediate starters. That means we’ve got to fill some of these 2018 holes in FA — and if the value at RB is much better than at other positions, I don’t think we should be totally wedded to the idea of using one of those two picks on a back.

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

So there's a report on hogshaven that we're moving on from Zach Brown and Will Compton. Obviously Breeland is leaving and Kirk as well. So we saved money on Kirks contract for what exactly? lol

for nothing but trash players

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I keep wondering about these two guys also. The top RB contract in last year’s FA market was Latavius Murray at 3/$15M. Eddie Lacy got 1/$4.2M, Lynch got 2/$9M, Peterson got 2/$7M, Gillislee got 2/$6.4M, etc.

And that was in an offseason where the draft didn’t seem at the time to have quite the depth at RB that we’re seeing this year — as I recall it was Fournette/McCaffrey in the top half of the 1st and then basically just Cook until the 3rd. Obviously we know now that Kamara and Hunt and some others can play, but the perceived thinner draft probably drove up FA prices a bit.

I know lots of folks would hate giving money to an FA back like Hyde or Crowell. I can’t really blame them — it goes against my usual policy, which is to go young at RB and not spend money on veterans. But sometimes you can find value by zigging when everyone else intends to zag. And if everyone else with RB needs intends to patch their hole with a rookie, we might be able to get a still-effective veteran for a really favorable price. 

I like the idea of getting a hotshot RB in the draft this year. But the bottom line is that barring any trade downs, we only have two picks in this draft that I think we can reasonably hope will give us shots at immediate starters. That means we’ve got to fill some of these 2018 holes in FA — and if the value at RB is much better than at other positions, I don’t think we should be totally wedded to the idea of using one of those two picks on a back.

Ya I think I'm with you on this.  Adding a RB in the draft would be the ideal scenario, but there's an opportunity cost there that we could be adding a high draft pick at another position.  If a quality starter at RB is available in FA I think we need to consider it.  

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

So there's a report on hogshaven that we're moving on from Zach Brown and Will Compton. Obviously Breeland is leaving and Kirk as well. So we saved money on Kirks contract for what exactly? lol

The Redskins didn't move on from the Redskins, Kirk Cousins is moving on from them.  

But really though, not retaining Brown is pretty dumb.  

5 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

So is that saying if we drafted a QB this year and liked them we would still be on the hook for the dead money from the 55 million part guaranteed if we were to cut him? I mean obviously Smith is our QB moving forward I just don’t really understand the structure as far as what that means

6 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

So is that saying if we drafted a QB this year and liked them we would still be on the hook for the dead money from the 55 million part guaranteed if we were to cut him? I mean obviously Smith is our QB moving forward I just don’t really understand the structure as far as what that means

I, too, would like some clarity from the cap guys. What does this mean for us in general terms?

Archived