2018 Free Agency

turtle28

11 minutes ago, Marcus21 said:

I know I’m getting a little ahead of myself but

Allen, Greek, Hankins, Vea, and Lanier  would be AMAZING!!!!!

You talk about not being able to stop the run last year to totally kicking *** at stopping it the next. THIS is how you would do it!!!

23 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Hmmmm passed his physical you say.

Yup I think something was up when the Ravens said he failed his, either skins fan said hey he got y’all good, or when crabtree was released they knew they had to pull something to get out of grants contract

2 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

I'd rather being Breeland back than Scandrick.

Me too but it has to be on an affordable deal. No way I’m giving him the 3 year, $24 million deal the Panthers gave to him. It’s gotta be $5 mill or less.

11 minutes ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

Hankins and Scandrick have visits tomorrow. Hankins would be a great signing. 

It would be glorious! I’m still steamed we didn’t sign him last year to the deal the Colts did. If we had signed Hankins to that deal instead of signing McCalin, our run D would have been a lot better.

20 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

Yup I think something was up when the Ravens said he failed his, either skins fan said hey he got y’all good, or when crabtree was released they knew they had to pull something to get out of grants contract

Yeah, NFLPA needs to be on this. I think when Crabtree was released they found a way to dump grant in favor of Crabtree.

Grant is another guy I’d sign back if he’s on the cheap. There’s no way I’d give him a deal anything close to what the Ravens did. I’m surprised another team hasn’t signed him yet. There are some wr needy wams like the Jets, Bills, Rams, Panthers, Texans, Seahawks etc who need a reliable possession wr and guy who can also play in the slot.

My bad, I saw where Logan said he visited the Colts and will visit the Raiders. He may go to the Raiders, that way he can keep his last name Ryan Gruden! ? 

23 minutes ago, Eric said:

Grants problem is his ceiling. I think we saw it last year. Hard worker, good ethic but athletically limited. Saying that, the Ravens clearly did him dirty

Grant has a ceiling athletically but he hasn’t reached his ceiling or his best possible production still as a wr.

Hes only started 15 games in his career. Last year was his most with 7, his second most was in 2015 when Djax missed half the year and he started 5 games. In that year he had 23 receptions and 2 TDs in 5 games started. 

He's capable of being even a little better than he was last year and getting over 50 catches for 600 to 700 yards and a handful of TDs. He’s never going to  be an explosive wr who wows you like Doctson can with his size/speed/athleticism combo or how Crowder can with his quickness but Grant is a “steady Eddie.

He can be a reliable possession wr for a lot of teams. He’s a chain mover, a good blocker who can make some tough catches as well.

6 minutes ago, Eric said:

Can't argue that, I just prefer the Megatrons of the world but they all have their place

Of course, everyone does, but that was a once in a generation type talent and that’s why he went #1 overall and Grant didn’t get drafted until the 5th round.

Maybe Robert Davis can develop into that role, If we go rb high in draft I would like to see some sets with 2 rb's especially with Thompson in there. Maybe some jet motion stuff like the Rams did with Tavon

44 minutes ago, Eric said:

Maybe Robert Davis can develop into that role, If we go rb high in draft I would like to see some sets with 2 rb's especially with Thompson in there. Maybe some jet motion stuff like the Rams did with Tavon

Yeah, definitely Thompson can run jet sweeps well if we call it. I actually like it when we put Reed in the backfield opposite Thompson with our QB in between them in the shotgun, that way the D has to defend Thompson as a running back, as a receiver, Reed as a receiver and Alex Smith as a zone read qb all in our backfield. Crowder and Paul Richardson can run jet sweeps as well. Richardson has the speed and Crowder has the quickness.

As for Robert Davis, there’s no doubt he can become even better than Grant IMO.   Robert Davis is bigger, stronger and faster than Grant and has more athletic ability than him too. Davis is 6’3, 219 and ran a 4.4 forty at the 2017 combine, he just needs more development in his route running.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/robert-davis?id=2558254

Strengths

Big body with an NFL frame to bang. Bodies through his routes and uses size to push back against force. Former high school basketball player with high-point timing and above average ball skills in a crowd. Long arms and big hands give him extended catch radius. Has decent foot quickness for his size and should be able to see results from more route work on the next level. Able to go up and make athletic, twisting adjustments in mid-air to pull in errant passes. Can secure the catch through punishing hits. 

Weaknesses

Plays with tight hips and little sink into routes causing prolonged braking before opening. Route running is extremely raw. Routes are very rounded, lacking definition and effectiveness. Needs to leverage defenders back inside on his deep work to create more catch space to the boundary. Will sit and wait on throws rather than working back aggressively. Lacking in long speed. Will glide on some deep routes rather than continuing to crank it full speed throughout the route. Won't get away from tackler very often after the catch. 

Draft Projection: Rounds 5-6

NFL Comparison: Aaron Dobson

Bottom Line

On the surface, Davis is a big receiver who lacks deep speed and has a hard time creating clean passing windows for quarterbacks. However, he's a decent athlete who could benefit greatly from extended route work and learning the nuances of the position. Davis is a project with some moldable traits who may have enough talent to find his way into the league once his skills and fundamentals are honed. Davis could be a practice squad stash with the ability to grow into an NFL backup.

-Lance Zierlein

30 minutes ago, Eric said:

I’d really like to see a good ol fullback on the roster. Skins were 2nd to last in 3rd down efficiency, too late in the day to search for 3rd and 1 efficiency but I do remember them lining up Niles Paul back there a couple times and it was embarrassing 

Archived