The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

43 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

On one hand, this is a pretty big get for the Jags. They've strengthen the strength of their offense.

On the other hand, their cap situation is going to be interesting to monitor in the next few years and this is more proof that they're going to,once again, rely heavily on their run game. They virtually traded their WR(Robinson) for a G(Norwell).

Also, no one mentioned the Jags with Norwell, which shows that teams are always working behind the scenes in silence. 

Or

Like last year with Bouye they wait to see what the top offer is and then add to it? Lol 

I'll be honest. I didn't know who Norwell was until he was a FA and people called him the top guard. 

Hearing he is a great player though. I still don't fear the Jags as long as Bortles is QB. 

2 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Whew, that's rich. 

Top 2 WRs are off the board.

We're in year 2 of the major salary realignment. Get used to these numbers. Chiefs and Jags pushing the limits for sure. I'd hope we land one "top" FA given our cap space but who knows if J-Rob thinks that's worthwhile.

Honestly how do the Jaguars have the cap space to pay Norwell that kind of money? Didn't they just have to pay 19 M per year to Bortles? I don't get how they are not in cap hell yet. I guess if the cap keeps going up maybe that is why but it hasn't gone up so much where that should give them enough space.

I really don't get how the salary cap works but if teams are more willing to dish out big money with the Titans cap space no reason why 't the Titans shouldn't if the cap isn't as big a deal.

15 minutes ago, Titan89 said:

Honestly how do the Jaguars have the cap space to pay Norwell that kind of money? Didn't they just have to pay 19 M per year to Bortles? I don't get how they are not in cap hell yet. I guess if the cap keeps going up maybe that is why but it hasn't gone up so much where that should give them enough space.

I really don't get how the salary cap works but if teams are more willing to dish out big money with the Titans cap space no reason why 't the Titans shouldn't if the cap isn't as big a deal.

This is why I laugh at people when they say 'Oh there's no way we can pay that guy this much...' The cap has gone up about 10 mil every year for the past 4 years. The whole point of the new TV deals and the lockout was players want a bigger piece of available revenue. And now that its happening and players are getting bigger money deals, fans get in their feelings. Like the fan base is personally on the hook to pay a FA signing bonus. And recognize I'm WELL aware that you can't go to crazy, but for a fan base who has routinely blasted its ownership over the false impression that they are cheap, alot of them are SUPER fiscally conservative with money that isn't even theirs.

49 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

On another note, Anthony Hitchens is getting 9 mil a year from the Chiefs. I'd argue Avery Willimamson is on par if not better. So now we know his market.

Yeah. Won't be surprised to see Williamson get $10 mil a year. 

52 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

This is why I laugh at people when they say 'Oh there's no way we can pay that guy this much...' The cap has gone up about 10 mil every year for the past 4 years. The whole point of the new TV deals and the lockout was players want a bigger piece of available revenue. And now that its happening and players are getting bigger money deals, fans get in their feelings. Like the fan base is personally on the hook to pay a FA signing bonus. And recognize I'm WELL aware that you can't go to crazy, but for a fan base who has routinely blasted its ownership over the false impression that they are cheap, alot of them are SUPER fiscally conservative with money that isn't even theirs.

I have to agree. 
I look more at the player than the money. Teams aren't stupid anymore with the cap and like you said the cap goes up every year pretty much and can erase a "bad" deal.  If they want to pay someone, they will find a way. If they don't value a player, he won't get paid.

I never understood the "cheap" narrative about the Titans. We've made some players the richest at the position. And honestly, who have we had to deserved to get mega deals?  Lol People we let walk in the past (Jacob Bell, Drew Bennett and even big Al) all were proven to be good decisions....anyway that's a dead horse. 

Can the player actually help us? If so, then I personally don't care what they make. 

Archived