The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

21 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

I Don’t see why what has Kessler done, he doesn’t even have a lot of expierence. Wit a backup we need a sure thing & need to know what we’re getting 

Are you describing Blaine Gabbert as a sure thing that we know what we're getting? Career QB rating of 71.5. Career completion percentage of 55.9. Career YPA of 6.0. And even those numbers were boosted by his one season in a passing stats friendly offense with Chip Kelly. We're getting garbage. Not Matt Cassel level garbage, but garbage nonetheless. Kessler showed more as a rookie than Gabbert has at any point in his career. If Blaine wasn't an early first-round pick, he wouldn't even be in the league. I would much, much rather take the younger guy that looked competent surrounded by the worst talent in football over the veteran that has proven that he's a bad quarterback time and time again.

I mean, Gabbert's not even an overall terrible backup QB because of the sheer amount of terrible quarterbacks in the league, but you're far more likely to get competent QB play with Kessler. Or at least there's some level of hope that you're getting respectable backup QB play over the long term.

I just don't know when people started convincing themselves that Blaine Gabbert isn't a terrible quarterback. Is it the borderline respectable interception rate? Because that, and his occasional mobility, are about the only positive things I could see anyone pointing to. Unless the only real bar was that they had to be better than Matt Cassel. Because, sure, Gabbert also has that going for him.

4 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

Okay since you want to go by years explain Hakeem nicks ??? dez is done trust me he was my favorite player in college at OKST 

Nicks is a far better comparison than the AJ, Moss or Moulds signings honestly. Mainly because they've both been derailed by leg/ankle/foot injuries. But, like with Nicks, I'd be fine taking a shot on Dez. Given that we have absolutely no depth at wide receiver and have done nothing to address the position, I'd be far more comfortable at least adding someone with some sort of ceiling. Obviously that's contingent on a fairly low-risk deal and his willingness to move around in the offense, which admittedly, are two things that could definitely blow up any sort of contract talk.

I’m fine with Gabby being the backup. He’s an improvement on Cassell. Regardless, we’re screwed if Mariota goes down. That’s usually how it is when your starting QB goes down unless you have a great defense and running game to balance it out. Gabby has starting experience and has had some big games. Sure he’s also been terrible but I’m not looking for the backup to be a stud. He has some mobility and I’m sure LaFleur can make him serviceable in this offense.

1 hour ago, TitanRedd said:

I Don’t see why what has Kessler done, he doesn’t even have a lot of expierence. Wit a backup we need a sure thing & need to know what we’re getting 

I agree. Kesseler couldn't beat out Kizer or any of the other QBs on the roster. 

He is just as bad or good depending on your side of support as any of the backup out there. 

All of them have glaring problems, that's why they are backups. 

Just now, titans0021 said:

Don't get me wrong, Kessler isn't carrying us to a title. But guys...it's Blaine Gabbert. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills lol.

What I’m saying is this, it’s enough film out on Gabbert, we know what he is far as strengths & weaknesses & he’s also has more meaningful game expierence. Kessler the jury still out he’s still a project.

Just now, TitanRedd said:

What I’m saying is this, it’s enough film out on Gabbert, we know what he is far as strengths & weaknesses & he’s also has more meaningful game expierence. Kessler the jury still out he’s still a project.

I agree with that. I'd just rather take on a project honestly. Give me someone who might, some day, amount to more than what Gabbert is and has been throughout his career. I get it. I'm not even mad about signing Gabbert. Hell, we were worse off at backup QB last year. But man, at some point, especially if we're rolling with Marcus long-term, we're going to need to do better than just bringing in bad, veteran quarterbacks to back up a guy that has dealt with injuries every year of his career.

10 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I agree with that. I'd just rather take on a project honestly. Give me someone who might, some day, amount to more than what Gabbert is and has been throughout his career. I get it. I'm not even mad about signing Gabbert. Hell, we were worse off at backup QB last year. But man, at some point, especially if we're rolling with Marcus long-term, we're going to need to do better than just bringing in bad, veteran quarterbacks to back up a guy that has dealt with injuries every year of his career.

I feel what you saying, but my opinion since Marcus hasn’t reached his ceiling I think it’ll be best to address the backup position with season matured QB. In case of injury Marcus gets hurt we want a QB we fill can win us games. Like Steve McNair Neil Odonell okay once Marcus reaches his potential then we draft a QB to develop Steve McNair Billy volex. When Steve was still kind of Raw we kept Neil once he became polished we went with volex

1 minute ago, Dr.Doom52 said:

No Will Compton thread? 

I live here in DC and the local guys did not want to lose him.

Was hurt last year and missed time (may have lost his spot before that?)... be he had decent seasons in 15 and 16... was named captain in 16.  Seems to play a more similar role to Brown instead of the Williamson role... so I don't think he's there for that... or maybe he is.  This could be a good under the radar signing though, but on the surface at least, it appears to be more of a depth signing.  

56 minutes ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Titans should still be in the market for a LB in the draft. I will say if the Titans do go NT with the first pick I hope they go Griffin at LB. I think he’s going to be good. Rumors are he could be a 4th or 5th round pick i would take a shot on him

Living in Orlando and watching all the UCF games...that kid can ball. Will be interesting to see how he performs with only 1 hand against professional athletes though.

12 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Was hurt last year and missed time (may have lost his spot before that?)... be he had decent seasons in 15 and 16... was named captain in 16.  Seems to play a more similar role to Brown instead of the Williamson role... so I don't think he's there for that... or maybe he is.  This could be a good under the radar signing though, but on the surface at least, it appears to be more of a depth signing.  

Agree. Still think ILB could/should be the pick at 25. But if not gives decent depth at least. If he bounces back in a huge way maybe he sticks past this year (Woodyard's not getting any younger). If not he is ST help and a stop gap for any injuries. 

Archived