The 2017 Receiving Corp, who's it going to be...?

vike daddy

I am not rooting for Floyd to make the team.  Four weeks he's not available.  His personal demons make his reliability suspect.  And, he hasn't been all that productive since his one big year as a Cardinal. I guess my main concern is that I just don't trust him on or off the field.  I like Wright.  He's a good teammate.  I would keep him as my six.

Floyd is infinitely times better of a receiver than Wright. And Floyd's availability, or lack there of, during the first 4 games is relatively irrelevant when it comes to Wright. Who's going to be inactive, with a healthy receiving corps, every week. 

13 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I am not rooting for Floyd to make the team.  Four weeks he's not available.  His personal demons make his reliability suspect.  And, he hasn't been all that productive since his one big year as a Cardinal. I guess my main concern is that I just don't trust him on or off the field.  I like Wright.  He's a good teammate.  I would keep him as my six.

Floyd being expendable might be completely dependent on how well Treadwell looks. If Treadwell is impressive, I'm fine with cutting Floyd.

There was no question who stood out at practice on Sunday. Vikings wide receiver Michael Floyd showed off the talent that made him a first-round pick by Arizona back in 2012.

Floyd’s first big catch came in the red zone when he made a leaping, one-handed grab from quarterback Case Keenum for a touchdown that drew a large ovation. The former Notre Dame standout then connected with Keenum on a deep pass down the right sideline during 7-on-7 drills that likely would have been a 55-yard score. Floyd then capped off his monster day by making a play in the clutch. With the clock running down in a late-game scenario, Floyd twisted his body and made a falling back-shoulder grab from quarterback Taylor Heinicke for a score in a crowd of defenders.

Zimmer: “So far, he’s made some big-time catches, he’s got some good speed and physicality. That last play in the end zone there, he kind of bodied the guy up and made a hell of a catch." 

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/3-Observations-Michael-Floyd-Shines-for-Vikings/c46c19a4-0baf-46f9-b8ec-0667f5874fb8?sf102317916=1

26 minutes ago, disaacs said:

I think that actually it's probably going to be that Fruechte makes the initial 53 and then he is the odd man out when Floyd comes back than Wright.  

Is he doing well? Always considered him just another camp body

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see why Jarius Wright would make this team as it's currently constructed. If he played special teams I could understand keeping him, but he provides nothing there and would be the 4th, or 5th with Floyd, wide receiver on this team barring injuries. 

On 8/11/2017 at 6:57 PM, rpmwr19 said:

I don't see why Jarius Wright would make this team as it's currently constructed. If he played special teams I could understand keeping him, but he provides nothing there and would be the 4th, or 5th with Floyd, wide receiver on this team barring injuries. 

Charles Johnson was the same thing and they managed to keep him for a few years.  I still believe Jarius is around this year and then they cut him next year when his salary jumps.  

35 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Johnson played special teams, plus he was a more versatile outside receiver. Wright is a slot receiver who doesn't play special teams. 

Besides, is 11 catches for 67 yards worth $3.7M? No. 

Charles Johnson didn't play special teams until the middle of last year, and he wasn't all that versatile considering it didn't seem like he could do much more than run posts and flys.  

And Jarius Wright only got 11 catches because he was sitting behind Charles Johnson and Cordarrelle Patterson, neither of whom are on the team any longer. Throwing out last year, he's been rather reliable for his career and is a good veteran backup who, when he plays, makes plays.  Is that worth $3.1M (the actual cap number) to me?  Yes.  It's also not like it's an exactly exorbitant number that's going to break the team if he's kept for this year. There ain't another player on the free agent market that's going to be worth the $1.5M or so that they'd save by cutting him (he'd still count $1.7M against the cap).  

Archived