Giants Acquire Andrew McCutchen from Pirates

ramssuperbowl99

5 minutes ago, 1BackInBlackFan said:

Most likely a game used piece of shoestring from Pence . Okay maybe something not that valuable.

According to Pavlovic, it doesn't include Beede, Shaw, and I really can't imagine it included Ramos without a complete brain fart by Evans and Sabean. Though wouldn't have cared much if Beede were involved. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

We once gave up Bickford and Susac for Will freaking Smith. We probably gave you guys Beede and Ramos LOL. Not that Bickford or Susac was much of anything - but Bickford I think was our #1 or close to it at the time of the trade...Susac was too old to be a legit prospect any more. 

At least you received a movie star who knows how to get jiggy with it.;)

I'll see myself out.

41 minutes ago, steelcurtain29 said:

I don't have enough expletives to describe Bob Nutting right now.

That's all I have to say about this organization anymore. Laughing stock is pro sports; if it weren't for the Cleveland Browns.

Feel awful for Pirates fans right now.  They traded Gerrit Cole for a package that put a way too high of a premium on high floors, and almost completely ignored upside.  And then they deal Cutch to a team whose roster is overpaid and old.

pirates won about 95 games and had a top 5 farm system at the time

and did nothing to add to it... sucks so much that nutting in young for a owner... him and his family may own this team until the day I die(he said he's gonna pass it on to his daughters)

On the bright side, as a Giants fan, we have a weirdly good history of strong returns on former Pirate players. 

Bonds obviously, but also Jason Schmidt, Javier Lopez, Freddy Sanchez, Ryan Vogelsong (if you technically want to count him...he was ours first) 

Was once a top prospect...scuttled around a lot, could never really get the control thing down. Also a bit old at this point. Actually wasn't awful in his brief relief appearances last year, though not many high leverage situations either. 

Wouldn't be surprised if it was Williamson or Parker, unless Crick was that "major leaguer" with all 32 innings pitched he has in his career 

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Feel awful for Pirates fans right now.  They traded Gerrit Cole for a package that put a way too high of a premium on high floors, and almost completely ignored upside.  And then they deal Cutch to a team whose roster is overpaid and old.

The Cole deal is brutal but the farm system is decent and McCutchen got old. They were never going to get a lot for him. And yeah, it's not a great spot to be in, but they also had a 3 year run winning 94, 88, and 98 games up through 2015. For a small market team, that's worth selling out a little bit for. They tried to extend the window a little bit and it didn't happen. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Now they're probably 2 or 3 years away again. That's just what happens to teams that can't spend.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Was once a top prospect...scuttled around a lot, could never really get the control thing down. Also a bit old at this point. Actually wasn't awful in his brief relief appearances last year, though not many high leverage situations either. 

Wouldn't be surprised if it was Williamson or Parker, unless Crick was that "major leaguer" with all 32 innings pitched he has in his career 

Like Crick 2 years ago as a high leverage RP arm. Assuming he just hasn't improved, which means yeah this is a flashy salary dump.

1 minute ago, steelcurtain29 said:

Crick can't be the ONLY piece they got... can he?

Maybe...Pavlovic said that there was an MLB piece going to the pirates, but I don't know if he meant Crick or not. It sounds like the Giants are picking up the tab on the entire salary this year, so if there is another piece, I imagine it's nominal. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Maybe...Pavlovic said that there was an MLB piece going to the pirates, but I don't know if he meant Crick or not. It sounds like the Giants are picking up the tab on the entire salary this year, so if there is another piece, I imagine it's nominal. 

I was assuming there would be at least a little bit more as well.  He's not 2015 Cutch anymore, and it's only for 1 year of team control, but he was still a 3.7 fWin player last year.  

Archived