Let's Talk Wide Receivers...

G08

35 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

Oh ok...we'll consult the arbiter of wide receiver play next time. 

In one post you say "so I'll reserve judgement on the 2017 group until the season is through". Fine. Then the next post you say "No it isn't". Which one is it? 

We'll see.

I don't need really care if Glennon is out there with nothing at WR to throw to, but Trubisky is another story.

Throwing to TEs and RBs is great, but that is a very condensed field with a lot of defenders around.

If you cannot attack downfield and to both sidelines it makes all running and throwing lanes much smaller.

My concern is that we don't really have the OL depth to effectively do that kind of run heavy offense.. Mostly on account of me not trusting Long's health and potentially Sitton's for an entire season.

If I had to speculate on the offense, I'd wager we're going to run double TE sets a significant portion of the time, perhaps even the majority of the time if Shaheen starts coming along as well...... Wheaton and White could be used on the outside for lower % deep ball plays, since both have pretty good speed (at least hypothetically with White, since he doesn't seem to play as fast as he combined at, and that also was before 2 major leg injuries)..... The TEs work intermediate routes with the DBs (hopefully) cleared out to prevent the big play, and the running back checkdown as a safety valve/and presumably with space to work (and a back like Cohen essentially getting a 15 yard cushion from the corners/safeties chasing Wheaton/White, and Sims or Miller in front of him, vs 2 defenders in space sounds like it could gain some chunk yardage pretty consistently....  In this setup, Wheaton and White are going to get substantially lower % of the targets, but will at least be useful keeping defenses honest (or risking the home run shot)....

Granted it's all hypothetical.... but they might still be useful on the outside even if they aren't getting targeted often.

The concern/counterpoint to that however, is I'm not at all convinced Glennon has the arm talent to take deep shots, nor the mobility to buy enough time to let them develop properly.

5 hours ago, Bfan said:

Is it just me or did someone else notice the last two pages of this thread have been trying to differentiate between very bad, worse and pathetic?  

That is all I was saying that both groups are bad, at least until the 2017 group proves other wise.

After yesterdays game never to early to look at FA WR and draft prospects

FA WR

Davantte Adams -  I wonder if Green bay can afford him or do they franchise tag him. 

Jarvis Laundry - He will be available on the open market.  do you pay him #1 money for a one trick pony and slot receiver?

Sammy Watkins - I would think the Rams sign him or tag him.  Would love to see him in a bears uniform

Martavis Byrant -  He will be on the open market.  Steelers don't pay guys like this they let them walk and draft someone new.  

The Jacksonville guys (Allen Robinson and marques lee) - these are mid tier guys pace likes.  Robinson injury should keep his price tag a little lower.  Lee also strikes me as a pace guy. 

Larry Fitzgerald - maybe 

Dontelle Inman - really strikes me as a pace style FA.  I could envision Inman another FA like lee and a 2nd rounder maybe Dion Cain or Auden Tate.

Jordan Matthew - He should want off the Bills.  who really wants to live in buffalo?

Draft

Bears are going to be in a tough spot drafting WRs.  if they are picking 4,5,6 they might have to reach for a guy and pass up players like Arden Key or Derwin James or a trey Adams for a Ridley or Kirk.

Ridley I wouldn't mind if the bears reached for him.  Looks very comparable to amari cooper with a little more juice and an extra gear.  The program pedigree helps too.

Christian Kirk to me has peter warrick written all over him.

Courtland Sutton: will be probably be in the mix for the top WR when the offseason starts. 

Paris Cambell: OSU.  I need to watch some OSU games

Deon Cain: program pedigree at Clemson.  looked good against bama in that national championship game. 

Auden Tate: FSU.  this guy really jumped out at me during the FSU vs Alabama game.  looks very much like Calvin Benjamin.  the deep pass he caught and the fade he caught against a top 15 player fitzpackrick was impressive.  I'll be watching a lot of FSU games this year.        

Archived