Could Bryce Petty be a good quarterback?

Championshiporbust

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I thought he was undraftable, so I'm probably going to go with no. 

How was he undraftable?

2013 @ Baylor - 4200 yds, 32 TDs, 3 INT, 62%.  Finished 11-2.

2014 @Baylor - 3855 yds, 29 TDs, 7 INT, 63%. Finished 10-2.

His college career was just as good, if not better than Griffin, who was drafted 2nd overall, just a couple years earlier.  What exactly made Petty undraftable?

2 hours ago, Championshiporbust said:

Could New York Jets Bryce Petty be a good quarterback? Yes, he has been in the league for three years now, as a backup quarterback, but can he be good? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryce_Petty

The only time he ever gets a chance to play is if someone gets hurt, so it's hard to say.. Hackenberg is a mystery too.  It'd be nice if the Jets let these two compete for the starting job, but chances are, they'll probably draft another, and ultimately end up bringing back McCown to be the starter.

4 minutes ago, frenchie said:

His college career was just as good, if not better than Griffin, who was drafted 2nd overall, just a couple years earlier.  What exactly made Petty undraftable?

I think people quickly realized that Griffin shouldn't have been drafted as high as he was, so that's a moot point. 

But to humor you, Petty didn't have the same physical traits that RG3 had - combine that with that back/spine injury Petty had, you had a guy drop.

Jury has spoken on Petty - he can't even beat out a very bad Christian Hackenberg in NY. Not exactly a glowing endorsement.

6 minutes ago, frenchie said:

How was he undraftable?

2013 @ Baylor - 4200 yds, 32 TDs, 3 INT, 62%.  Finished 11-2.

2014 @Baylor - 3855 yds, 29 TDs, 7 INT, 63%. Finished 10-2.

The only time he ever gets a chance to play is if someone gets hurt, so it's hard to say.. Hackenberg is a mystery too.  It'd be nice if the Jets let these two compete for the starting job, but chances are, they'll probably draft another, and ultimately end up bringing back McCown to be the starter.

Those stats really don't mean anything when evaluating. I could point you to Colt Brennan's college career, just about any Texas Tech guy, and countless others. And you can't compare Rg3 and Petty on the basis of stats and team record...

I thought he had a mediocre arm, an inability to read the field or a defense, couldn't consistently be relied on to throw into tight windows at the next level or throw downfield, and couldn't go through progressive reads, and I had questions on whether or not he could actually run an NFL offense. I also despise big 12 quarterbacks. 

Just now, EliteTexan80 said:

he can't even beat out a very bad Christian Hackenberg in NY. Not exactly a glowing endorsement.

He was ahead of Hackenberg on the depth chart the last two years.

But speaking of Hackenberg - what the hell is his deal? The dude was drafted 10 spots higher than Jimmy Garoppolo and has yet to take an official NFL snap in 2 full seasons. How is that even possible?

4 minutes ago, Starless said:

But speaking of Hackenberg - what the hell is his deal? The dude was drafted 10 spots higher than Jimmy Garoppolo and has yet to take an official NFL snap in 2 full seasons. How is that even possible?

Hackenberg is a product of the hype his freshman year, while looking the part while throwing in a t-shirt and shorts during the combine.

4 minutes ago, Starless said:

Oops, thought it was the other way around. They're both pretty bad.

15 minutes ago, Starless said:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11297/christian-hackenberg

I chuckled a bit.

Archived