Mock Free Agency/Draft 1.0

Mockortalk

On 1/17/2018 at 10:29 PM, Mockortalk said:

Lol yeah thanks, I was almost done then my page kept refreshing and it erased everything. I had to do the whole post all over again, but yeah I don’t see ATL bringing back Poe especially with the quality of the position in the draft. And I do agree that they will sign free agents but I don’t think they will be a big player. I’m going to collect everyone’s thoughts and try to improve it on a weekly basis. So any thoughts on who the Falcons may target, I’m sure you know your team better than I do. 

From what dimitroff said in the presser today it seems he is wanting to target a OG in FA and not the draft said he prefers it that way because lineman take a bit to develop.  So im guessing OG or OT isn't a early round option for us this year.  Im ok with this because i don't like playing around with the O-line at all and want matt protected and the run blocking ready to go.  Looking at OL FA who fit our scheme im guessing Norwell or Pugh would be high targets for us there.   Also maybe a LB or DT to go along with our 1st round DT.   Quinn said Beasley is going strictly back to DE no more LB at all for him thank god.   I could see us going after a thumping LB thats a great tackler to help our middle run defense and let Debo play WLB.  Which in our scheme is exactly like a 2nd ILB that is in coverage a bit more which is his best strength with his speed and size.

If i were to make a legit list of players i think we could target it would be

OG - Norwell or Pugh - They both have experience in a ZBS and both would upgrade our OG spot big time.  I would prefer Norwell as at 26 he is young and he is a very good pass protector and a big nasty in the run game Plus it weakens a rival. 

DT - Any of those listed but Ngata all would help us here as if we don't sign Poe we literally only have 1 DT on the roster at that point lol.  We need atleast 3 that would be 1 in the draft early and 1 in FA.   Grady Jarrett would be our only 1 with Poe leaving.

TE - Jimmy Graham or Tyler Eifert is my best guess but we could look at a guy like andrews in the 2nd round as well.

LB - Zach Brown or Demario Davis - Both are strong thumping lb's who provide great run defense and could help Debo out tremendously out there.

I could see us targeting 2 to 3 of these position in FA and then drafting the rest of them

I like a lot of this. 

For the Texans though, they have already stated (which is unlike them) that with no 1st or 2nd rounders they are planning on making big splashes in FA.  They are expected to release Brian Cushing b/c they have 3 great MLBs and RG Jeff Allen who has been terrible.  This will bring the Texans to $70M in Cap room

I don't see any way the Texans go into the draft without a LT.  They just won't.  The new GM announced yesterday his top priorities right now are an extension for Clowney (likely close to $20M, which will bring us back to $50M in Cap Space) and the O-line.  Newton will likely play RG and Davenport RT and Nick Martin at C.  I think you are right (and it's not popular) but the Texans will Resign LG Xavier Sua'Filo.  He's a Pulling Guard which is hard to come by and important in our scheme.  These moves would allow us to draft an OG in the late 3rd for depth and resign Chris Clark for OT depth.  It allows us the freedom to not have to overspend in FA, and not be forced into a pick in the early 3rd.

I have seen interesting thoughts from a few that we may trade a 4th for Jared Veldheer the LT for the Cards.  The Cards have depth at OT and Veldheer is a one year rental coming off a season ending injury.  No way we pay more than an early 4th, but an interesting thought.  The new GM Gaine is a disciple of Rick Smith and Smith's main principal via draft if BPA, so he tries to bring in value FA's to fill all major holes Prior to the draft.  

Besides LT, our next biggest need is in our Secondary.  Jonathan Joseph is gone, Kareem Jackson is mediocre and Kevin Johnson struggled but shows signs. I think we bring in a Top Tier CB and let JJo walk.   I LOVE the addition of Kenny Vaccaro to the Texans.  I really hope that happens, and I believe we have the room.  It all comes down to if he wants to leave New Orleans.  The Saints have $30M in space and Brees I'm guessing will make a team friendly deal around $18-22M for one year.  Leaves room for them to keep KV if he wants to stay, but he's a Texas boy who went to UT, so there's hope!

I would say our Top need for Future multi round drafts IF we grab a LT and CB are :   TE (CJ Fiedorowicz likely to retire),  OL, DB.   In that order.  With our early 3rd rounder though, I think if someone falls we may surprise people and grab a top RB.  People will say we have Lamar Miller and D'Onta Foreman who looked studly last year, but his BEST CASE scenario is playing Week 10 of next year.  Lamar Miller is due over $7M in 2019, so I think he's released then.  That means between now and 2020 we will have 2 RBs for 6 games...and that's best case.  Only 1/3 RBs can come back to full form after a ruptured Achilles, so we may need an RB now!  Also Alfred Blue is gone. 

Great draft and hope people can use this info.

On 1/18/2018 at 12:29 PM, Danish49ers said:

Pretty close to perfection, add a OC early and another OG.

Only complaint - not a fan of Crowell at all.

Yeah I’m not a fan of Crowell either and when I update that will probably be changed, I don’t think the Niners are going to pay any running back not named LeVeon Bell, they will just draft one. And someone brought up Ziggy Ansah probably going to get franchised which I think he is right. But I read an article that Jerry Hughes from Buffalo could be a cap casualty which I think would be a great add for the Niners.

On 1/18/2018 at 6:56 PM, johndeere1707 said:

We don’t technically have a GM. Mike Brown/ Duke Tobin/ Marvin Lewis are the shot callers. We aren’t moving on from Marvin for another 2 years. I don’t believe we can trade McCarron since he will either be a RFA or a UFA pending his arbitration. We also historically do not trade up for players as we value the picks, since the Bengals are not players in Free Agency. Also the Bengals have publically stated that they do not value Guards highly, so they would not trade up for Nelson even if he was a future all pro. They don’t value the position, plus we have decent depth at OG. The offensive line positions we need are OT and C. Other positions we need are LB and possibly TE depending on what happens with Eifert. 

Good information that I’ll use on the update. Thanks. 

Love the Kirk Cousins signing. I really hope it happens.

Not a fan of Fitzpatrick, to be honest. I'd rather have someone else there. Since you don't have us signing Terrelle Pryor again (something I do hope happens) perhaps Calvin Ridley would be an option there? I don't want to go into the season with just Josh Gordon and Corey Coleman at WR. Too unreliable, and if we're signing Cousins, I want to get him all the weapons I can.

18 hours ago, MarkPrice25 said:

Love the Kirk Cousins signing. I really hope it happens.

Not a fan of Fitzpatrick, to be honest. I'd rather have someone else there. Since you don't have us signing Terrelle Pryor again (something I do hope happens) perhaps Calvin Ridley would be an option there? I don't want to go into the season with just Josh Gordon and Corey Coleman at WR. Too unreliable, and if we're signing Cousins, I want to get him all the weapons I can.

I was actually going to have Terrelle Pryor returning but with Kirk Cousins signing I changed it, they had no chemistry in Washington. 

On 1/18/2018 at 9:56 PM, johndeere1707 said:

We don’t technically have a GM. Mike Brown/ Duke Tobin/ Marvin Lewis are the shot callers. We aren’t moving on from Marvin for another 2 years. I don’t believe we can trade McCarron since he will either be a RFA or a UFA pending his arbitration. We also historically do not trade up for players as we value the picks, since the Bengals are not players in Free Agency. Also the Bengals have publically stated that they do not value Guards highly, so they would not trade up for Nelson even if he was a future all pro. They don’t value the position, plus we have decent depth at OG. The offensive line positions we need are OT and C. Other positions we need are LB and possibly TE depending on what happens with Eifert. 

I agree with everything except the bolded.  I think they don't value them enough to pay them top dollar on their second contracts.  We just had Zeitler, and he was a first rounder.  Those guys are under team control for five years.  With Zeitler, I don't think they wanted any part of the highest paid player at the position.  I wouldn't trade up for him, but for different reasons.  I wouldn't do it because we have a glut of LGs.  I don't buy the notion that Boling did something great there the two games he played.  I would, however, trade up for a position of need for a BPA player at that position.  

On 19/01/2018 at 12:56 AM, johndeere1707 said:

If McCarron stays as a RFA the Bengals might receive something back for him. I do believe that if the Bengals put a second round tag on him the Browns won't mind giving one of their second round picks to sign him (for a reasonable contract)

5 minutes ago, BowserBroncos said:

If McCarron stays as a RFA the Bengals might receive something back for him. I do believe that if the Bengals put a second round tag on him the Browns won't mind giving one of their second round picks to sign him (for a reasonable contract)

I agree with you on that.  We either trade him outright after he signs the tender, or let him sign elsewhere with the knowledge that we have no plans to match it (if they use a first or second round tender....most likely a second, but with Brown, you just never know).

Archived