NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

I wonder if at some point this will come full circle.  Maybe it will just be teams with QB's on rookie deals contending.  How can you build a team when your QB munches 20% of the cap.  I guess if all teams are doing this no one is at a disadvantage.  Whatever happend to Outpost?  He was leading the charge on this haven't heard from him in awhile. 

He is right above you.  Changed his name to MacReady

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Leader said:

The same dude who was just quoted as saying he didn't want to take all the money. He wanted to leave some so they could keep a team around him. 

I guess he's OK with that team around him being made up of undrafted free agents. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

The same dude who was just quoted as saying he didn't want to take all the money. He wanted to leave some so they could keep a team around him. 

I guess he's OK with that team around him being made up of undrafted free agents. 

People said the same thing about Mahomes contract when it was first announced and it's amazingly team friendly. Just pointless conjecture until we see the details. 

The Eagles will be fine. Cap goes up every year, in 3 years Hurts will be around 10th in AAV. We're probably less than 10 years away from the first 100m AAV contract for a QB.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Let's see how it's structured. If it's like Mahomes, Philly will be competitive for several years and then his cap hit will be enormous thereafter.

Even without the structure his average for the next 6 seasons is $43m which ain't too shabby. The guaranteed of $179 is like $30m a year, I can image the next couple of years his base salary will be cheap. As long as he keeps performing the deal doesn't look half bad

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

When are teams going to stop paying average QBs record-setting deals? Answer: probably never. 

Well, the thing is that when you have a young QB who is anywhere on the good-to-elite scale there's going to be considerable pressure from the fanbase to extend that guy when his rookie deal is up.  Obviously when you whiff on a high pick like Zack Wilson or Sam Darnold the choice to move in and try again is pretty easy, and when you hit a homerun with a high pick like Mahomes or Josh Allen then you don't mind paying the going rate.

The problem is when the guy you got is good, but not that good.  You can always talk yourself into "well, he was the 14th best QB last year, so he's not far off the top 10" but we've known for a long time that mediocre QBs are a false economy.  The thing that makes you feel better about signing Hurts to a big deal is that he has already improved a lot more than most people were expecting so that speaks volume on the kid's work ethic and ability to fix his flaws.

15 hours ago, MacReady said:

This is accurate.

MacReady is an easy one. Now if you'd called yourself Don A. Stuart, or his real name John W. Campbell (the writer of the book that inspired the original 1951 film) you might have been more obscure..............but I'm guessing that even though the original film (in black and white) was also good, the one you really like is the one you saw in 1982, the remake with Kurt Russell.

If you take into account the very different time periods, I'd find it hard to say which was better. 

10 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

MacReady is an easy one. Now if you'd called yourself Don A. Stuart, or his real name John W. Campbell (the writer of the book that inspired the original 1951 film) you might have been more obscure..............but I'm guessing that even though the original film (in black and white) was also good, the one you really like is the one you saw in 1982, the remake with Kurt Russell.

If you take into account the very different time periods, I'd find it hard to say which was better. 

Actually, I changed my name after my dog, who was named MacReady.

I have and have read Who Goes There? as well as Frozen Hell, the novel length publication of Who Goes There? after its recent discovery in a library. And the novelization of the 82 film, which I’ve also read. The entire comic collection. A VHS, DVD and every different blu ray release of the movie. Also The Thing from Another World, though I’m not a fan. It’s not hard to tell which is better. One was a strong adaptation of the original novella, one turned The Thing into a glorified carrot. One featured the original novella’s shape shifting ability and captured pure cosmic terror. The other one had a lumbering cucumber. 

I know more than you.