NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

In their opinion we just traded away our only player to the Jets. 

It is what it is. This writer's perception of GB matters is probably focused around what he sees on ESPN / TNFLN or the internet - plus - he's probably one of the beat writers for the NYJs.

Take it with a grain of salt. Just thought it interesting...in a post draft kinda way.

Just now, Leader said:

It is what it is. This writer's perception of GB matters is probably focused around what he sees on ESPN / TNFLN or the internet - plus - he's probably one of the beat writers for the NYJs.

Take it with a grain of salt. Just thought it interesting...in a post draft kinda way.

I'm fine with it. I think we are going to surprise a whole lot of people this year. 

The Post is implicitly making a prediction of how good Love is going to be. Apparently, they don't think much of him. I disagree. I think Love will be just fine, and likely will be the best/second best QB in the North div. Given how the draft went, I could see us competing for the North title this year. We may not win it, but we're not going to be yawning down the stretch either. 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

The Post is implicitly making a prediction of how good Love is going to be. Apparently, they don't think much of him. I disagree. I think Love will be just fine, and likely will be the best/second best QB in the North div. Given how the draft went, I could see us competing for the North title this year. We may not win it, but we're not going to be yawning down the stretch either. 

I'm confident we'll do okay. Cant say great cause...well, for obvious reasons - but it's not like we're some chump roster. The biggest dynamic change is gonna be LEADERSHIP.

Lets face it - AR was that guy. Whether he actually lead....in a good/positive way....is worthy of discussion - but he was the default guy - meaning - nobody else had to even consider being that guy.

That character can be infused into / become the team....affect it's actual performance on the field.

That's all changing...which is why my early season "want to" is for the DEFENSE to get together and take control of the team. The defense is more of a returning unit than the offense....so take over the demeanor of the team and let the offensive guys come together at a lesser pace.

Can Barry get them to do that?????? Is something thats worthy of discussion....but I have my doubts.

Edited by Leader

1 minute ago, Leader said:

I'm confident we'll do okay. Cant say great cause...well, for obvious reasons - but it's not like we're some chump roster. The biggest dynamic change is gonna be LEADERSHIP.

Lets face it - AR was that guy. Whether he actually lead....in a good/positive way....is worthy of discussion - but he was the default guy - meaning - nobody else had to even consider being that guy.

That character can be infused into / become the team....affect it's actual performance on the field.

That's all changing...which is why my early season "want to" is for the DEFENSE to get together and take control of the team. The defense is more of a returning unit than the offense....so take over the demeanor of the team and let the offensive guys come together at a lesser pace.

Can Barry get them to do that?????? Is something thats worthy of discussion....but I have my doubts.

Grrr. Barry.  He's holding us back. It will be interesting to see what leadership emerges. Mike Daniels used to do that, then Z Smith. I'm not sure who was last year. Maybe that was part of the problem. Some veteran has to step up. Campbell maybe? Preston and Clark don't seem like the type, although they are great players. They need that rally around guy like Z was. If they bring in a vet before training camp, that's what I would be looking for. Position's not important.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Grrr. Barry.  He's holding us back. It will be interesting to see what leadership emerges. Mike Daniels used to do that, then Z Smith. I'm not sure who was last year. Maybe that was part of the problem. Some veteran has to step up. Campbell maybe? Preston and Clark don't seem like the type, although they are great players. They need that rally around guy like Z was. If they bring in a vet before training camp, that's what I would be looking for. Position's not important.

What will be interesting to watch is to see how this new guy......Valentine? Is meshed into the defense. He's right out front saying he's a press man corner. Put him on an island and let him do his thing.......

I personally like the attitude very much. Has his college play supported his confidence in himself? I personally cant say - but I like having that mindset around on defense. Being a low man on the totem pole....I'm not expecting a great deal in year one......but he's an interesting guy to keep an eye on.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

What will be interesting to watch is to see how this new guy......Valentine? Is meshed into the defense. He's right out front saying he's a press man corner. Put him on an island and let him do his thing.......

I personally like the attitude very much. Has his college play supported his confidence in himself? I personally cant say - but I like having that mindset around on defense. Being a low man on the totem pole....I'm not expecting a great deal in year one......but he's an interesting guy to keep an eye on.

If he’s playing snaps for us this year something has gone very wrong. Great athlete but he’s going to need a lot of development to play on Sundays. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

There are some interesting clues I see. Drafting a press corner is one of them. I think Alexander and the others would like that too. Then there are the two D-linemen who seem to be a bit small for two-gapping. And LVN is supposed to be good at inside rushing. Might Barry be contemplating a one gap defense with man to man press coverage? We can only hope.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Leader said:

Key to that IMO is our defense actually standing up and shutting some folks down.
The D's gotta "bridge over" the growing pains the offense is going to experience.
They've got to become leaders.

Identity change.

Barry has got to get his head out of his arse.  He has the dogs to do it so let them hunt.  It's his job to lose and MLF better be on top of it too.

11 minutes ago, Leader said:

He graded out as the 532nd CB of 917 graded in college football last season. If he is doing a whole lot of talking, the advice from coaches should be talk less, work more. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, R T said:

He graded out as the 532nd CB of 917 graded in college football last season. If he is doing a whole lot of talking, the advice from coaches should be talk less, work more. 

Good info....but yeah, you've gotta figure you're not the second coming of Darrelle Revis if you're being drafted in the 7th round. Still....I like the attitude. Hope he holds himself accountable and puts in the work to make it happen.