NFL News & Notes

Leader

17 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:
New York Jet Packs: Aaron Rodgers Allen Lazard Randall Cobb Tim Boyle Nathaniel Hackett Billy Turner Malik Taylor
Still missing: Marcedes Lewis Jake Kumerow Bronson Kafusi David Bakhtiari (2024) Pat McAfee India Bhavan Tom Fanning

I've been pounding the table lately for the Packers to bring back Lewis for one more year. Even though they drafted Musgrave and Kraft, they really don't have that big-time blocking TE on the roster, which is pretty critical to MLF's offense. Kraft is probably the closest thing we have there but he's jumping from D II competition, plus being a rookie so expect him to be average, at best, early on. Adding Lewis (who reportedly is open to coming back) would give the young guys a great mentor, the locker room a leader and our offense a key cog for our run game. 

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I've been pounding the table lately for the Packers to bring back Lewis for one more year. Even though they drafted Musgrave and Kraft, they really don't have that big-time blocking TE on the roster, which is pretty critical to MLF's offense. Kraft is probably the closest thing we have there but he's jumping from D II competition, plus being a rookie so expect him to be average, at best, early on. Adding Lewis (who reportedly is open to coming back) would give the young guys a great mentor, the locker room a leader and our offense a key cog for our run game. 

We won't keep 5 TEs and Davis is a core STs player. We don't have room for Lewis after using two picks in the first three rounds for this team.

Unless Kraft or Musgrave turn into better STers than Davis early in camp. Then cutting Davis and signing Lewis in August might make sense 

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Bolded part.....

Is it true, though?  Does the real MLF offense really need that blocking TE that is a zero receiving threat?

Or...is it that Lewis was a Rodgers guy and MLF was forced to adapt an offense for that kind of tight end?

We passed on Washington twice, and he was a dead ringer for that kind of TE.

My guess is that blocking TE role is not as important as we all thought.  Movement blocking TE's that can also catch when in motion is more important, and that is why we drafted Kraft...and maybe Musgrave.

And...very much agree that Lewis was a great mentor and amazing all around person.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

South Dakota State is not division 2. 

People are getting a little ahead of themselves with Kraft and blocking. If you watch much of his game film, he whiffs on a fair number of blocks. It might be because he is always trying to blow people up, but that will kill a lot of plays in the NFL. He needs work before he is good at it. 

15 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Bolded part.....

Is it true, though?  Does the real MLF offense really need that blocking TE that is a zero receiving threat?

Or...is it that Lewis was a Rodgers guy and MLF was forced to adapt an offense for that kind of tight end?

My guess is that blocking TE role is not as important as we all thought.  Movement blocking TE's that can also catch when in motion is more important, and that is why we drafted Kraft...and maybe Musgrave.

And...very much agree that Lewis was a great mentor and amazing all around person.  

We also currently have Austin Allen from Nebraska on the roster. Don’t think he’ll make the 53 but maybe he has a shot? Marcedes would be a great mentor and I won’t be upset if he comes back but that is actually a pretty crowded room now. 

Edited by Refugee

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Bolded part.....

This ^ was the primary reason I was reticent to draft Washington i.e. reprise the good blocking / less than stellar pass catching TE  -  although  -  I think Washington might surprise a bit with his receiving skills.  TBD.

Basically....the knee problems that surfaced late in the process killed any appetite I had to draft the guy.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Cobb signing with Jets per reports.

Sounds like GM Rodgers is on the job! Wait till the Jets find out he's also their new HC! I think we should get another draft choice just for Radgers doing those extra jobs! 

Edited by Mr. Fussnputz
spelling

17 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

We won't keep 5 TEs and Davis is a core STs player. We don't have room for Lewis after using two picks in the first three rounds for this team.

Unless Kraft or Musgrave turn into better STers than Davis early in camp. Then cutting Davis and signing Lewis in August might make sense 

I could see a scenario where they keep 5. They've done it before and if MLF wants to play more 12 personnel with Love at QB, it wouldn't surprise me. Basically you'd just trade a WR for a TE on the roster, and even with that, you have Musgrave who can act as a big slot. Packers used to roll with 5 WRs pretty regularly. Been keeping 6 lately but they could go back to 5. Some of that probably depends on how Toure, Wicks, Dubose and Melton look in the preseason. Maybe they only keep 2 of those 4. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Sounds like GM Rodgers is on the job! Wait till the Jets find out he's also their new HC! I think we should get another draft choice just for Radgers doing those extra jobs! 

Saleh is more of a defense oriented coach, but also, I don’t think he’s the roll over to the QB type. AR and Hackett will definitely have their own office but I think that might be a nice pairing. We’ll see how it comes together. 

12 minutes ago, R T said:

South Dakota State is not division 2. 

People are getting a little ahead of themselves with Kraft and blocking. If you watch much of his game film, he whiffs on a fair number of blocks. It might be because he is always trying to blow people up, but that will kill a lot of plays in the NFL. He needs work before he is good at it. 

Sorry, meant "non FBS." 

Moreover, my point remains the same. Who's going to be the primary in-line blocking TE on this team as it stands? Deguara? I think that's probably our biggest roster hole post-draft. We addressed everything else pretty well. 

19 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Bolded part.....

Good chance Washington wasn't even on our board with his reported medical issues. Otherwise, I would have put good money on the Packers absolutely loving him. 

35 minutes ago, R T said:

He needs work before he is good at it. 

He's a rookie TE.  He needs to work on everything before he will be "good" at anything.  For some reason that position takes time.  Luck(ily) we now have time.

31 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

By the 3rd regular season game the Jets are going to be, "WTF did we get ourselves into with this guy?" 

Too late by then! 

• Like 1