NFL News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Not a bad idea.......

That would not change the value teams place on running backs. The reality is they are a dime a dozen in today's NFL. Paying running backs is fool's gold. They are often injured, and they lose it very quickly and usually without much notice. 

21 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

That would not change the value teams place on running backs. The reality is they are a dime a dozen in today's NFL. Paying running backs is fool's gold. They are often injured, and they lose it very quickly and usually without much notice. 

This would raise the RB franchise tag amount significantly, making teams much less likely to tag a RB (or a TE)

That would be the primary benefit.

What if they start changing the pay scale of all RBs?

Base every contract on having a 1000 yard season.  If the guy is signed for 10 million dollars per season, and runs 700 yards, he gets 70% of that 10 million.  But if he runs for 1300 yards, he gets 130% of that 10 million.  Have the cap hits roll over to the next season.  So, in the above example, the RB's cap hit is 10 million effectively through the whole year, then any extra or left over money is applied to the following season's salary cap.

Add in bonuses, so these guys aren't working for free.  

Obviously I didn't include pass catching, blocking, or STs.  That can either be accounted for in their bonus, or perhaps base the contract on percentage of snaps played vs yardage.  I am just trying to get to a place that is fair for both a productive RB, who is underpaid, and the team that is probably overpaying a RB that used to be productive.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

This would raise the RB franchise tag amount significantly, making teams much less likely to tag a RB (or a TE)

That would be the primary benefit.

When you take the current franchise tag amount, a little over 10, and the subsequent contract they get next year, they likely still don't get as much guaranteed money. 

Teams are just not going to pony up for RB anymore. 

If the players don't like the tag, they've had many opportunities to negotiate something better.  This is what the union agreed to in the CBA, and these are the rules the players approved. Hearing about how unhappy the players are every time they are tagged never resonated much with me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

When you take the current franchise tag amount, a little over 10, and the subsequent contract they get next year, they likely still don't get as much guaranteed money. 

Teams are just not going to pony up for RB anymore. 

Can't agree with this.  Barkley, Jacobs and Pollard would all have been far better off hitting the open market vs being tagged.

33 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

If the players don't like the tag, they've had many opportunities to negotiate something better.  This is what the union agreed to in the CBA, and these are the rules the players approved. Hearing about how unhappy the players are every time they are tagged never resonated much with me.

It never resonated at all with me.  Here is a guy that can barely read and is getting insulted by 8 million dollars per year.  **** in my living room for half of that.