NFL News & Notes

Leader

14 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Amazing what teams give up to get 'that guy' at the trade deadline. Von Miller, 32 at the time, fetched a second and third for the Rams. HE had come off of a pretty average 2020 season. He too was in his 10th year in the league. You can talk premium position all you want. If a team thinks they need a WR to get to the Super Bowl, it becomes a premium position for them. 

Miller played 8 games plus the playoffs for the Rams for that price tag. 

Evans has put up 1000 yards receiving every year in the league. 

Say a team like the Vikings or Bengals is sitting at like 7-1, but Jefferson or Chase got hurt and will be out for like 5 weeks.  That trade probably makes sense to keep them afloat, and then potentially more dangerous when their star returns.  I can totally see a situation like that with a team sending a nice future asset away to win a championship.  Whether or not it will work out is a different discussion, but I understand the thought process.  

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Say a team like the Vikings or Bengals is sitting at like 7-1, but Jefferson or Chase got hurt and will be out for like 5 weeks.  That trade probably makes sense to keep them afloat, and then potentially more dangerous when their star returns.  I can totally see a situation like that with a team sending a nice future asset away to win a championship.  Whether or not it will work out is a different discussion, but I understand the thought process.  

Yeah, you gotta be careful on what you bring in.  It can be very beneficial, or it can be last years "missing piece to the Super Bowl": Chase Claypool.

I trust Gute's sense on this stuff, but I also see why teams do it.

On 9/2/2023 at 10:08 AM, Old Guy said:

Amazing what teams give up to get 'that guy' at the trade deadline. Von Miller, 32 at the time, fetched a second and third for the Rams. HE had come off of a pretty average 2020 season. He too was in his 10th year in the league. You can talk premium position all you want. If a team thinks they need a WR to get to the Super Bowl, it becomes a premium position for them. 

Miller played 8 games plus the playoffs for the Rams for that price tag. 

Evans has put up 1000 yards receiving every year in the league. 

At the time of Miller's trade, he had played 9 years in DEN, and missed year 10 with an injury.  During his time with DEN, he had been named to 7 All-Pro teams (3xAP1, 4xAP2) and was runner-up for DPOY twice.  

After 9 years in TAM, Evans has been named to 1 All-Pro team (AP2) 

I don't see their value as comparable at all for a team looking to make a SB run.

51 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

At the time of Miller's trade, he had played 9 years in DEN, and missed year 10 with an injury.  During his time with DEN, he had been named to 7 All-Pro teams (3xAP1, 4xAP2) and was runner-up for DPOY twice.  

After 9 years in TAM, Evans has been named to 1 All-Pro team (AP2) 

I don't see their value as comparable at all for a team looking to make a SB run.

During his 9 years in Tampa, he had piss poor quarterbacking in 7 of them and has put up 1000 yards every year. He was also, the guy, who defenses wanted to take away, slow down and still produced. Similar to Miller in Denver in that regard. 

I don't give a rats *** if he wasn't awarded an all-pro nomination. He goes over 100 yards this year, he's a HOFer. 

Also, I never suggested the same compensation. I suggest 1 - 2nd round pick. Miller fetched a 2nd and a 3rd. IF a GM needs a big play WR to give them a legitimate chance to make the Super Bowl, that is a small price to pay.

We can agree to disagree. 

I don't believe "you can't swat at the quarterback's throwing arm" would make it through the competition committee.  Since you teach pass rushers to swat at the ball if the QB still has it, this was just a freak accident.

Like there's all sorts of examples of guys "literally breaking a leg" because of bad luck involved in a normal tackling situation.

41 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I don't believe "you can't swat at the quarterback's throwing arm" would make it through the competition committee.  Since you teach pass rushers to swat at the ball if the QB still has it, this was just a freak accident.

Like there's all sorts of examples of guys "literally breaking a leg" because of bad luck involved in a normal tackling situation.

They banned hitting QBs below the knee yet I see DBs doing it RBs dozens of times per game. 

They banned landing on QBs yet every other player gets tackled like that. 

The competition committee doesn't give a **** about anything other than the revenue. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

They banned hitting QBs below the knee yet I see DBs doing it RBs dozens of times per game. 

They banned landing on QBs yet every other player gets tackled like that. 

The competition committee doesn't give a **** about anything other than the revenue. 

You mean how they suspend guys for gambling, yet line their pockets from Ceasars Sports Book? 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

He only started five games? That seems impossible. I know he had a lot of injuries. 

That covers about the name number of games the guys in front of him didn't start altogether. Drew Brees, Alex Smith, Carson Wentz, Brees again, Mitch Trubisky(when he had potential), Matthew Stafford, and finally Justin Herbert.

Smith missed a game in '13 and one more in '14. Trubisky missed 2 in '18 and one more in '19. The rest of the seasons the starting QB played the full slate.