NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

If those numbers are correct, Sweat signs for similar AAV, but twice the guaranteed cash that Gary signed for a week ago?  That seems kind of nuts.

Sweat and his management had all the leverage.  If the bears would have giving him anything less than what he wanted, he could have just said he wasn't signing with them.  Then the Bears would have had to franchise tag him to retain him. 

43 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Sweat and his management had all the leverage.  If the bears would have giving him anything less than what he wanted, he could have just said he wasn't signing with them.  Then the Bears would have had to franchise tag him to retain him. 

Didn't Gary have that exact same leverage?

A fool and his money are soon parted. 

Las Vegas Raiders owner Mark Davis demonstrated again this week that he will not let money influence how he operates his franchise.

The firings of head coach Josh McDaniels, general manager Dave Ziegler and some of the coaching staff will cost Davis approximately $85 million, league sources told ESPN.

Some of those costs will be defrayed by offsets and mitigation, but the firings were, as one source described to ESPN, "an expensive move nonetheless."

The costs didn't stop there for the Raiders, who also reworked the contracts of interim head coach Antonio Pierce and interim GM Champ Kelly.

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Didn't Gary have that exact same leverage?

Pretty close to the same thing, but the player wanted to be in GB. Word was that Sweat wanted to get traded to ATL. I think the bears had to pay a big tax due to that.  Atlanta also offered a 2nd round pick for him, but the Commandos chose the Bears offer. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Wondering out loud if the Raiders are regretting not hiring keep Rich as the Head Coach. 

I mean, they're not winning anything with him either.  Outside of Maxx Crosby and maybe Michael Mayer, I'm not sure there's any building blocks on this roster.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, they're not winning anything with him either.  Outside of Maxx Crosby and maybe Michael Mayer, I'm not sure there's any building blocks on this roster.

Davante Adams? Jacobs? 

Also, David Carr might still be the quarterback rather than the mistake that is Jimmy G. 

Edited by Old Guy