NFL News & Notes

Leader

9 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Hitting on day 3 picks at a high % is easier said than done over a long enough number of years

How long is long enough? 3 years not long enough? When you consider the average tenure of a GM in the NFL is somewhere around 3.5 to 4 years. I think there is some level certainty that they can.

22 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I actually changed my mind about the Goof this season.  He has a strong arm, and is deadly accurate, when he is on his spot.  When you get him moving in the pocket, he is not nearly as good, and in fact can be quite bad.  He won't give you the game, but there are certainly ways you can take it from him.  He probably won't ever be the top tier MVP type of QB, but he is going to be good to above average for like 85-90% of games.

...so he's Kirk Cousins?

37 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Except we have used top 40 picks on Watson WR, Quay ILB and Musgrave TE (pick 42). So the Packers don't give a crap about positional value either!!!

In all fairness, I didn't/don't super duper like those positional picks all that much either. Throw in Wyatt being old when drafted and and if I was a Lions fan I could talk myself into not liking the Packers recent early picks pretty easily too. 

Obviously no team/GM/coach is perfect and if you want to poopoo on any it's pretty darn easy. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

How long is long enough? 3 years not long enough? When you consider the average tenure of a GM in the NFL is somewhere around 3.5 to 4 years. I think there is some level certainty that they can.

Detroit has reached a playoff level tram that is a contender for a superbowl.  That is what the previous 3 draft has brought them.  Can they sustain that is what is being debated.  There have been many teams thst have had similar rise to this level and were unable to sustain it. 

See Jacksonville 2017 as an example

6 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

It's the "they are nothing but a blip" talk that I don't get.  Much like GB, DET still has plenty to prove, but is on a clear upward trajectory. Many GB fans want to believe 2023 was some kind of fluke for DET.  It wasn't.

I think the Lions will likely stay in that 9-12 win range based on their current roster. Though I could understand folks being skeptical because other NFC North teams have shown flashes of finally overtaking the Packers only to absolutely crater after their spike season. They've hit success, it'll be interesting to see if they can sustain it.

Just now, squire12 said:

Detroit has reached a playoff level tram that is a contender for a superbowl.  That is what the previous 3 draft has brought them.  Can they sustain that is what is being debated.  There have been many teams thst have had similar rise to this level and were unable to sustain it. 

Have they really thought? They got just about the easiest matchups possible in the first two rounds and imploded vs SF. It's personally don't think they'd have beaten Dallas or GB.

8 minutes ago, squire12 said:

They have plenty of cap space. They are building well through the draft. They have their QB and if they wish can extend him at a good rate not a great one. They have a decent front office and coach. What could possibly go wrong....

Personally, I think they'll be good for the next 3 years easily

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Have they really thought? They got just about the easiest matchups possible in the first two rounds and imploded vs SF. It's personally don't think they'd have beaten Dallas or GB.

Most vegas betting sites have Detroit fr9m 2-4 in NFC odds and top 5-7 overall.  So yeah, id say for next year they are viewed as a superbowl contender

• Like 1

This gave me a pretty good idea for the downtime between the draft and training camp.

A "Rose Colored Glasses vs. Sipping the Haterade" thread where each day people give the reasons why a team should be really optimistic about their future and/or reasons why they are gonna suck. 

It could be a fun way to pass a month of dead time and like 90% of teams would have a good back and forth of why both of those possible. 

Somebody remind me of this on the 4th of July. 

• Like 1