NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Leader said:

"In 2020, the NFL created a new rule designed to reward teams that develop minorities in coaching and front office roles. Under the rule, if a team has a minority coach or executive hired away to become another team’s head coach or general manager, the team that developed that coach or executive gets two third-round compensatory picks. It’s been a good rule for the 49ers.

Since the rule was implemented, the 49ers have seen Robert Saleh hired away to be the Jets’ head coach, Maritn Mayhew hired away to be Washington’s general manager, Mike McDaniel hired away to be the Dolphins’ head coach, Ran Carthon hired away to be the Titans’ general manager, and DeMeco Ryans hired away to be the Texans’ head coach. All of those hirings resulted in compensatory picks for the 49ers."

sounds like other owners should stop paying lip service and step up like the 9ers have done under shanahan.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, spilltray said:

Using Vegas lines didn't deserve a more serious response.

you stand to get really rich fading detroit if you're so sure these vegas lines are wrong.

You should post a screenshot of your bet slip, at least 1k for detroit not to win the NFC north. or detroit not to reach the NFC championship game.

Either that or accept that the betting line is a fair measure of their value right now and a completely valid response to your argument.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

sounds like other owners should stop paying lip service and step up like the 9ers have done under shanahan.

I knew there was some kind of system like this in place...but had no idea how comprehensive it was.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

I knew there was some kind of system like this in place...but had no idea how comprehensive it was.

I like that it compensates teams for developing talent that they lose at the coaching/FO levels.  Having success is such a catalyst in the NFL for having your group poached. 

Recouping some value for the effort you put into building a successful group is important.

• Like 1

Just now, skibrett15 said:

I like that it compensates teams for developing talent that they lose at the coaching/FO levels.  Having success is such a catalyst in the NFL for having your group poached.

This ^  I didnt realize organizations got draft picks for coaches hired away from them. I'd always thought it was just the hiring organization that got compensated.

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

This ^  I didnt realize organizations got draft picks for coaches hired away from them. I'd always thought it was just the hiring organization that got compensated.

hiring organization gets nothing.  They get the coach they wanted

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

hiring organization gets nothing.  They get the coach they wanted

So.....basically you're telling me that the entire breadth and depth of my understanding of this entire matter...was wrong. Thanks for that :)

35 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Recouping some value for the effort you put into building a successful group is important.

You can see where it flies in the face of parity though.

Success>poaching>more picks>more chances at success in draft>success

43 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

you stand to get really rich fading detroit if you're so sure these vegas lines are wrong.

You should post a screenshot of your bet slip, at least 1k for detroit not to win the NFC north. or detroit not to reach the NFC championship game.

Either that or accept that the betting line is a fair measure of their value right now and a completely valid response to your argument.

No it's not, because especially right now, the betting line is going to assume they can repeat their success. If enough fans are betting on that it will determine the lines.

I don't gamble. I think it's categorically foolish.

On 2/7/2024 at 12:06 AM, Brit Pack said:

Except we have used top 40 picks on Watson WR, Quay ILB and Musgrave TE (pick 42). So the Packers don't give a crap about positional value either!!!

I wish people will stop fascinating about their top picks and look what they have drafted in rounds 3 and later:

St. Brown, Kerby, McNeil, Melifonu, Barnes, Rodriguez and Houston. That's just in two drafts

For what is worth, WR is the second most valuable position in football over ER, CB and OT.

16 hours ago, spilltray said:

No it's not, because especially right now, the betting line is going to assume they can repeat their success. If enough fans are betting on that it will determine the lines.

I don't gamble. I think it's categorically foolish.

Every year I tell me wife that I have $500 on the coin flip during the Super Bowl.

She laughs, nervously.  Then tells me to get real.  I tell her that I am.

A day later I show her my bank statement with $500 added to our joint savings account.  

Then she's oh so happy.  And really it's just me putting a little more cash in there.

I think she's catching on, though, because I've done that for like 10 years in a row.

So now she's asking me to put together some Super Bowl bets for us....and the winner gets items off of the Taco Bell menu.  (To me that means we are all losers, but this is her game, so I'll do it.)

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Every year I tell me wife that I have $500 on the coin flip during the Super Bowl.

She laughs, nervously.  Then tells me to get real.  I tell her that I am.

A day later I show her my bank statement with $500 added to our joint savings account.  

Then she's oh so happy.  And really it's just me putting a little more cash in there.

I think she's catching on, though, because I've done that for like 10 years in a row.

So now she's asking me to put together some Super Bowl bets for us....and the winner gets items off of the Taco Bell menu.  (To me that means we are all losers, but this is her game, so I'll do it.)

You missed a golden opportunity to trick her into thinking you lost 500 dollars on a coin flip to then reveal you actually didn't later in the evening after she got mad.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

You can see where it flies in the face of parity though.

Success>poaching>more picks>more chances at success in draft>success

I think there's enough of a negative feedback response in the NFL for success already with the way the NFL draft works.

Losing coaches on top of that is extra tough.  this just dulls the pain a bit