NFL News & Notes

Leader

Feeling really good about us buying two at fairly decent market rates considering the glut on the market. Though the price for free agents could be slightly inflated by the lack of draftable starting options. 

• Like 1

With all the safeties being let loose .. no reason for the Packers not to drastically improve their roster in that area.  Sign two decent free agents at a reasonable price which shouldn't be that tough and draft one in the 2-4th rounds .. problem fixed. 

1 minute ago, coachbuns said:

With all the safeties being let loose .. no reason for the Packers not to drastically improve their roster in that area.  Sign two decent free agents at a reasonable price which shouldn't be that tough and draft one in the 2-4th rounds .. problem fixed. 

Most of them being released are either disappointing or aging out of the league. Xavier McKinney and Geno Stone are the only two I like as much as just resigning Savage.

2 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Most of them being released are either disappointing or aging out of the league. Xavier McKinney and Geno Stone are the only two I like as much as just resigning Savage.

Jordan Fuller makes a lot of sense as well.

37 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I see him as a SS only so I'm less interested.

I actually see him as a good fit no matter who the other safety is. He's handled both FS and SS pretty well. 

I'm surprised you only have two that you like from this group. Justin Simmons on a 3 year deal will be a coup for whoever signs him. There's probably 6 or 7 dudes that would be notable upgrades over Savage.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sandy said:

I actually see him as a good fit no matter who the other safety is. He's handled both FS and SS pretty well. 

I'm surprised you only have two that you like from this group. Justin Simmons on a 3 year deal will be a coup for whoever signs him. There's probably 6 or 7 dudes that would be notable upgrades over Savage.

Well, I'm not really interested in anyone 30+ on anything more than a 1-2:year budget deal.

32 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

The other thing with Ullmark is that outside of his 48 starts last year the guy has never started more than 39 games in any season.  He's a 1A type .. someone would get a lot of starts behind in NJ.

01f17ec7-46b0-4cd5-a9fc-0e3667f04448_tex

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I was wondering if you were going to share whatever it was that you were smoking!

Wish I had something to share, obviously I'd be a total mess if I was higher than a kite.  Big things going on in hockey (trade deadline) and football (free agency), and I got my posts mixed up.  Was talking about 30 year old goalie Linus Ullmark in my Devils thread, and someone mentioned staying away from 30 plus year old players in my Packers thread.  Ooops!

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

Well, I'm not really interested in anyone 30+ on anything more than a 1-2:year budget deal.

Imagine a guy likes Simmons gets a 3 yr deal on paper that looks inflated but it's effectively a two yr deal with most guarantees coming yr 1-2

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Imagine a guy likes Simmons gets a 3 yr deal on paper that looks inflated but it's effectively a two yr deal with most guarantees coming yr 1-2

He might be worth taking a shot on a 30+.  I wouldn't rule it out for sure.  Hafley may prefer a veteran to help keep that whole backfield lined up correctly.  There's going to be a large amount of change on that side of the ball, and I'm not sure you'd want some rookie having that kind of responsibility early on.  I'd be somewhat shocked if they Packers didn't acquire at least one veteran safety this offseason.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Wish I had something to share, obviously I'd be a total mess if I was higher than a kite.  Big things going on in hockey (trade deadline) and football (free agency), and I got my posts mixed up.  Was talking about 30 year old goalie Linus Ullmark in my Devils thread, and someone mentioned staying away from 30 plus year old players in my Packers thread.  Ooops!

For the love of God, can Ullmark play free safety or what?  I can't take the suspense!

• Like 1