NFL News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, Refugee said:

The short list of who wants to give up picks to have the privilege pay a pretty good player a top of the market deal. Hope 9ers get very little back.

Good ole Aiyuk.

I remember a few years ago when he wasn't doing well someone was talking out loud about trading for him.

I thought it was a fine idea, cuz at the time he'd be the best young player we'd have on the roster from a talent perspective.

And many, many railed against the idea.

And here we are now.  Aiyuk is not a "pretty good" player, he's very good.  Almost elite after last season.  He's going to be another one of those WR's like 'Vante where patience was needed.

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Good ole Aiyuk.

I remember a few years ago when he wasn't doing well someone was talking out loud about trading for him.

I thought it was a fine idea, cuz at the time he'd be the best young player we'd have on the roster from a talent perspective.

And many, many railed against the idea.

And here we are now.  Aiyuk is not a "pretty good" player, he's very good.  Almost elite after last season.  He's going to be another one of those WR's like 'Vante where patience was needed.

Pretty good might be my Midwestern gift of understatement, but we are in agreement that he's not elite. He's a damn good player but he plays in a great system with other very god to elite players and I might rather have Deebo's versatility if I had to choose. 9ers bet on Deebo. I'm not saying BA isn't good or won't do well elsewhere but he's in a good situation and they could bring another talented and cheaper guy into the same situation and watch him thrive.  Packers will have to make decisions like this at WR soon, but not for a few years.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Pretty good might be my Midwestern gift of understatement, but we are in agreement that he's not elite. He's a damn good player but he plays in a great system with other very god to elite players and I might rather have Deebo's versatility if I had to choose. 9ers bet on Deebo. I'm not saying BA isn't good or won't do well elsewhere but he's in a good situation and they could bring another talented and cheaper guy into the same situation and watch him thrive.  Packers will have to make decisions like this at WR soon, but not for a few years.

I feel like Deebo is a very, very overrated WR.

If I were building a roster and needed a receiver, I'm paying Aiyuk and not Deebo.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

If I were building a roster and needed a receiver, I'm paying Aiyuk and not Deebo.

I see it as the opposite. Prime Deebo can hurt you from so many angles in the Shanny system, it’s impossible to get a read on where he might be coming from and he’s tough as nails once he has the ball in his hand. The trouble is, with his play style and the 9ers willingness to use him with reckless abandon, he has gotten ground up a bit. He may be on the decline while Aiyuk is rising but both healthy  in their prime, I’m taking Deebo. We’ll see what the league thinks shortly. The 9ers being tight on  cap to keep him and he doesn’t want to play on the 5th year option and is forcing the issue. 

Edited by Refugee

19 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I see it as the opposite. Prime Deebo can hurt you from so many angles in the Shanny system, it’s impossible to get a read on where he might be coming from and he’s tough as nails once he has the ball in his hand. The trouble is, with his play style and the 9ers willingness to use him with reckless abandon, he has gotten ground up a bit. He may be on the decline while Aiyuk is rising but both healthy  in their prime, I’m taking Deebo. We’ll see what the league thinks shortly. The 9ers being tight on  cap to keep him and he doesn’t want to play on the 5th year option and is forcing the issue. 

Dude's gone over 900 yards receiving just once in 5 years.  Once in 5 years.

Aiyuk has done it twice in 4 years.  (2 1,000 yard seasons)

Deebo needed 121 targets to go over 1,000 (1,400 actually)

Aiyuke needed 114 and 105 to go over.  105 targets getting him to 1342 yards.

This is a hill I'm willing to die on.  Aiyuk is a better receiver than Deebo.  

Deebo gets this reputation of being all world when the reality is, he's had one excellent year out of 5.  And he makes it onto Sportscenter with some of his runs as a RB.

But in terms of being a WR....Aiyuk>Deebo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Dude's gone over 900 yards receiving just once in 5 years.  Once in 5 years.

Aiyuk has done it twice in 4 years.  (2 1,000 yard seasons)

Deebo needed 121 targets to go over 1,000 (1,400 actually)

Aiyuke needed 114 and 105 to go over.  105 targets getting him to 1342 yards.

This is a hill I'm willing to die on.  Aiyuk is a better receiver than Deebo.  

Deebo gets this reputation of being all world when the reality is, he's had one excellent year out of 5.  And he makes it onto Sportscenter with some of his runs as a RB.

But in terms of being a WR....Aiyuk>Deebo.

What makes Deebo different is the running ability.  To me, this is like grading CMC and ignoring the receptions. 

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

What makes Deebo different is the running ability.  To me, this is like grading CMC and ignoring the receptions. 

You don't take an elite, or very good WR and make him run out of the backfield.  

And that's the point.  We were talking about wide receivers.  Not hybrids.

What if I told you that Aiyuk scored one TD for every 4 times he carried the football?  ....over his 4 year career?  Does that help the hybrid argument?

44 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Again, if I were building a roster and needed a receiver, I'm paying Aiyuk and not Deebo.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'm looking at CMC's catches now....

For his career, he average 47 yards a game receiving.  91 games.

Deebo averages 15 yards rushing per game, over his career.  66 games.

These things are not the same.

Even if I take into account total yards for Deebo as a hybrid player, he's eclipsed 1,000 yards total in just two years out of 5 in his career.

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I agree. As a football player, I’m taking Deebo. Changes what an offense can do with his versatility. I’m not confused into thinking he’s some generational talent but he fits very well in that system where you never know where the ball is going to go and everyone is ready to rumble once the ball gets into the carrier’s hands. Also, I do believe Deebo’s style of play won’t age as well but while his star is burning bright, he’s a game changer. Watch that debacle in Lambeau the last time they played there. No one could get anything going and  Deebo got hurt but came back in and was a difference maker on ST and offense in an absolute dogfight of a game. 

3 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I agree. As a football player, I’m taking Deebo. Changes what an offense can do with his versatility. I’m not confused into thinking he’s some generational talent but he fits very well in that system where you never know where the ball is going to go and everyone is ready to rumble once the ball gets into the carrier’s hands. Also, I do believe Deebo’s style of play won’t age as well but while his star is burning bright, he’s a game changer. Watch that debacle in Lambeau the last time they played there. No one could get anything going and  Deebo got hurt but came back in and was a difference maker on ST and offense in an absolute dogfight of a game. 

2 catches for 24 yards.  0 rushing stats.

1 KO return for 21 yards.  Played one snap on specials.

Dude had 13 for 186 in the entire playoffs for them, 3 games.  Zero TD's.

What am I missing?

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'm looking at CMC's catches now....

For his career, he average 47 yards a game receiving.  91 games.

Deebo averages 15 yards rushing per game, over his career.  66 games.

These things are not the same.

Even if I take into account total yards for Deebo as a hybrid player, he's eclipsed 1,000 yards total in just two years out of 5 in his career.

You don't think Deebo is very good.  I get it.  I also disagree.

4 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

You don't think Deebo is very good.  I get it.  I also disagree.

No.  He's just fine.  But he's overrated, big time, based off of his one year of production.  One year.

And that one year?  He was the player that beat me in my fantasy playoff matchup.  Motherf------!

I'll never forgive him and I'll rail against the narrative that he is all that good, forever!  

And yeah, that did happen to me.

But he's very overrated as a WR.  It's fine saying he's an elite gadget guy, but as a straight WR?  He ain't all that.

Edited by vegas492

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

What am I missing?

The date. I’m talking about the 10-13 dogfight in Lambeau a few years ago. Deebo is exactly the type of player needed in those situations. He was injured this year for the entire postseason and gutted it out but it put was not his peak statistically. He still suited up and helped his team. 

1 minute ago, Refugee said:

The date. I’m talking about the 10-13 dogfight in Lambeau a few years ago. Deebo is exactly the type of player needed in those situations. He was injured this year for the entire postseason and gutted it out but it put was not his peak statistically. He still suited up and helped his team. 

K.  I knew that this past year, he wasn't all that.

And he did play 51 and 54 snaps in the games after GB.  He may have been injured, but it didn't keep him from logging a lot of offensive snaps.