NFL News & Notes

Leader

14 minutes ago, Leader said:

They're probably reach some kind of accord....but what I find interesting is the city (or public) is still paying off the bonds from the 2001 construction (remodeling etc).

The folks in KC (or some specific county if I understand what took place there....) recently told the Chief and Royals to kick rocks on their requests for funds. I dont live there so I cant presume how much leeway the Royals will be granted...but the Chiefs certainly wont be going anywhere.

@ThatJerkDave - whats the local thinking on how they'll go forward?

Have you ever been to the KC sports complex?  It is really good, and at the same time, really bad.  It has both the baseball and football stadiums in the same location.  There is enough parking to host both the Chiefs and Royals at the same time.  You will never not find a parking spot there, though you may have to walk quite a way.  But you more or less have to use their lot.  And if you and I just want to grab a drink before the game rather than tailgate because it is a windy rainy November day, there really isn't anywhere that you can.  It is a great tailgating venue, but your only real alternative to tailgating is miles away, and you would still have to drive in. 

This is also just part of the stadium arms race that I think kicked off with Jerryworld.  Without dipping into politics too far, Missouri will always fight against taxes going toward anything but roads and schools.  Overland Park, Kansas has extended an offer and tax breaks to the Chiefs to build a new stadium there.  My bet is that they will throw a fit, both sides will have some kind of save face standoff, and come to some kind of agreement to build improvements to Arrowhead.  A few hardcore "all taxation is theft" conservatives will vow to never give a dime to the Chiefs, and everyone else will just move on.

This is hilarious.

PITTSBURGH -- Justin Fields, return man?

Maybe if Pittsburgh Steelers special teams coordinator Danny Smith has his way.

In a live recording of Cam Heyward's "Not Just Football" podcast from the Steelers' draft party over the weekend, running back Jaylen Warren said Smith suggested that Fields, whom the Steelers acquired in a March trade with the Chicago Bears, could return kickoffs with the rule change preventing players from moving until the returner touches the ball.

"I think it's pretty good," Warren told Heyward, when asked how he felt about the new kickoff rules. "As soon as you touch the ball, that's when everything starts to happen.

"Our special teams coordinator was talking about Justin Fields being back there. We're like, 'Hold up, hold up.' We looked at him like, 'Justin Fields is about to be back there?' I don't know. I think it's cool."

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Have you ever been to the KC sports complex?  It is really good, and at the same time, really bad.  It has both the baseball and football stadiums in the same location.  There is enough parking to host both the Chiefs and Royals at the same time.  You will never not find a parking spot there, though you may have to walk quite a way.  But you more or less have to use their lot.  And if you and I just want to grab a drink before the game rather than tailgate because it is a windy rainy November day, there really isn't anywhere that you can.  It is a great tailgating venue, but your only real alternative to tailgating is miles away, and you would still have to drive in. 

This is also just part of the stadium arms race that I think kicked off with Jerryworld.  Without dipping into politics too far, Missouri will always fight against taxes going toward anything but roads and schools.  Overland Park, Kansas has extended an offer and tax breaks to the Chiefs to build a new stadium there.  My bet is that they will throw a fit, both sides will have some kind of save face standoff, and come to some kind of agreement to build improvements to Arrowhead.  A few hardcore "all taxation is theft" conservatives will vow to never give a dime to the Chiefs, and everyone else will just move on.

No...I've never been there...but good breakdown.

As I understand it the Royals are looking for an entirely new ballpark (?) whereas the Chiefs are looking for remodeling of some kind (?) but the recently turned down offers limited the cost burden to only one county?

1 hour ago, Leader said:

No...I've never been there...but good breakdown.

As I understand it the Royals are looking for an entirely new ballpark (?) whereas the Chiefs are looking for remodeling of some kind (?) but the recently turned down offers limited the cost burden to only one county?

I think the Royals are probably due for a new ballpark.  It opened in 1973, and holds 37,900 people.  Their average attendance last season was 16,100.  League average was 29.1k.  A newer, and smaller stadium probably helps.  If for no other reason, 16k in a stadium that holds 25k looks a whole lot more full than one that is pushing 40k.  Just speculating, but the Royals may be the 4th or 5th best ticket in town, you have the Chiefs, Mizzou, kansas, and k-State with big followings there, as well as a pretty successful MLS team.  I think it will be hard for the Royals to get the proper funding for a new venue in KC.  I would be surprised if they don't relocate.

St. Louis is asking for new tax money as well, and this ballpark opened up in 2006.  St. Louis will probably buckle and give the Cardinals the money.  Pretty much the same way I picture the Chiefs getting the money in KC.  But I doubt that East St Louis is going to offer to build the Cardinals a stadium.  

Adam Schefter -  Four-time NFL MVP Aaron Rodgers will have “no restrictions” when the Jets begin their OTA practices May 20, according to head coach Robert Saleh.

13 minutes ago, Leader said:

Adam Schefter -  Four-time NFL MVP Aaron Rodgers will have “no restrictions” when the Jets begin their OTA practices May 20, according to head coach Robert Saleh.

Given he was so insistent he COULD have played if they had just made the playoffs for him, he BETTER be 100%.

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

The networks should be begging Belichick to sign long term.  His sense of humor + straightforward nature would work great in either the studio or the booth. 

Agree. He may have a dry wit...but does speak with wit and he's a damn encyclopedia of football knowledge, stories, anecdotes etc.

44 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

The networks should be begging Belichick to sign long term.  His sense of humor + straightforward nature would work great in either the studio or the booth. 

I'm pretty sure I read that he will be on a weekly segment with Mcafee on Mondays during the NFL season.