NFL News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If the Bengals were a smart organization, they wouldn't be the Bengals. 

A brief dalliance with analytics is making people forget that deep in their soul, the Bengals are a lolcow organization. 

They hit on a few draft picks and suddenly people think they are smart. Both were no brainer picks too. 

Not sure the brief window they had isn't already closed. It certainly is if they screw this up with Chase. 

• Like 1

Does Mike Brown still run the entire show in Cinci? This current Bengals team doesn't look much different from the Carson Palmer-Chad Johnson-TJ Houshmanzadeh days, tbh.  Get a couple of good WR hits and a QB at number 1 overall.  Score a lot of points.  We know they can build that far, can they do anything further though?

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Does Mike Brown still run the entire show in Cinci? This current Bengals team doesn't look much different from the Carson Palmer-Chad Johnson-TJ Houshmanzadeh days, tbh.  Get a couple of good WR hits and a QB at number 1 overall.  Score a lot of points.  We know they can build that far, can they do anything further though?

I have to give credit where credit is due. The team from a couple of years ago had a heck of a defense as well. 

31 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I have to give credit where credit is due. The team from a couple of years ago had a heck of a defense as well. 

Those early 2000s teams weren't terrible either.  Justin Smith was a heck of a pass rusher coming out of Mizzou, then gained weight to be come more of a space eating 34 end later in his career.  I believe they also had Takeo Spikes.  They have had periods with some good players.  But they always have depth issues.  And I don't recall them ever having an above average offensive line.  

52 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Those early 2000s teams weren't terrible either.  Justin Smith was a heck of a pass rusher coming out of Mizzou, then gained weight to be come more of a space eating 34 end later in his career.  I believe they also had Takeo Spikes.  They have had periods with some good players.  But they always have depth issues.  And I don't recall them ever having an above average offensive line.  

It also hurts when on their good years, they’re still considered no better than #3best defense in the division behind Pitt and Balt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

Thanks, I hate it.

It's hard for me to hate something that will not change the game and be better for players safety. Certainly, will take some getting used to though. 

11 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

It's hard for me to hate something that will not change the game and be better for players safety. Certainly, will take some getting used to though. 

I get the safety aspect, but I wouldn't want to watch football with a bunch of great Gazoos running around.

18 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Why do foam/shell/foam? Why not just make a foam helmet. It'd look less dorky. They can make foam hard enough to protect while also providing more cushion? 

It's dorky and lame. I hate it. If you're gonna do it, do it better.

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

Thanks, I hate it.

Skull cap coverings I've decided I can handle, since it preserves the head-covering art of the helmet. If anything it might be a slight boon to the fashion enthusiast as some teams deeply struggle to match their helmet color with their jersey/pants(80's/90's Giants, Throwback Rams, Vikings, etc.).

As for the aesthetic, I could handle the few times players in past decades wore extra cushioning atop their helmets, so I can handle this.

6 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Why do foam/shell/foam? Why not just make a foam helmet. It'd look less dorky. They can make foam hard enough to protect while also providing more cushion? 

Yeah, I have no idea on what make up of a helmet would be safest but if your idea works, all for it. 

12 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

It's not just about absorption of impact, but also of channeling, deflecting, and ultimately venting the impact. It's why the plastic shells have such weird designs and in certain cases multiple holes, to say nothing of the sort of helmets bicyclists wear, but you probably knew that part. As for multiple layers, those too play a part in absorbing and channeling impact. Ever watch a ballistics channel where a projectile is fired through multiple walls of material? Note how said projectile slows down with each impact no matter how thoroughly it breaks through the layer until finally it's stopped cold? It's roughly the same principle. Modern-day Bulletproof vests and even the history of warship hulls back this up.

That's not to say I'd discount the idea of a fully foam Helmet out of hand. I would imagine some people in some labs are already working on such notions as we speak, though I'd have no idea what exactly they could come up with for a functional design.

Edited by Zycho32

2 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

It's not just about absorption of impact, but also of channeling, deflecting, and ultimately venting the impact. It's why the plastic shells have such weird designs and in certain cases multiple holes, to say nothing of the sort of helmets bicyclists wear, but you probably knew that part. As for multiple layers, those too play a part in absorbing and channeling impact. Ever watch a ballistics channel where a projectile is fired through multiple walls of material? Note how said projectile slows down with each impact no matter how thoroughly it breaks through the layer until finally it's stopped cold? It's roughly the same principle. Modern-day Bulletproof vests and even the history of warship hulls back this up.

That's not to say I'd discount the idea of a fully foam Helmet out of hand. I would imagine some people in some labs are already working on such notions as we speak, though I'd have no idea what exactly they could come up with for a functional design.

Foam can do everything plastic can. Just do it better. It doesn't have to look like ****. 

Bike/motorcycle helmets don't have a sugarcoat of foam on the outside. 

Edited by HighCalebR

Just now, HighCalebR said:

Foam can do everything plastic can. Just do it better. It doesn't have to look like ****.

Time may in fact tell on that one. If it works, I won't raise a stink over it.