NFL News & Notes

Leader

32 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I want a helmet that deploys airbags on a severe impact.

That would be some funny ****! Imagine the person doing the hitting getting blown back off the guy by like 20 yards from the airbag deploying. 

That is pure gold right there.

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

Kyle Shanahan said on "The TK Show" podcast hosted by The Athletic's Tim Kawakami, in an episode that was posted Monday, that he offered the former New England Patriots coach a spot on his San Francisco 49ers staff but was turned down.

"I did, I threw it out to him," Shanahan said. "He loves football so much that you never know what he ... I can't believe that he's not a head coach of a team right now. I know what I would do if I was an owner, so that shocks me, and the last thing you want to do is insult someone like Bill Belichick. But I know he just loves ball in its simplest form, so I threw it all out to him, whatever he wanted to do."

That included the team's defensive coordinator position, Shanahan said, a job that ultimately was filled when the 49ers promoted Nick Sorensen to the role.

"I was like, 'Would you be interested?' And he was very nice and appreciative, but he politely turned me down."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40630351/kyle-shanahan-says-bill-belichick-declined-offer-join-49ers

Cardinals coach Jonathan Gannon and several members of the staff did a deep dive on the concept of momentum, apparently going back to wars in the 1800s. After all that research, does momentum exist? Gannon: "Perhaps... I have no idea."

Gannon should stand downhill from a rolling boulder and then reconsider his answer.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Gannon should stand downhill from a rolling boulder and then reconsider his answer.

Pretty sure there wouldn't be any moss on that rolling boulder either. 

Trent Williams, 36 years old, is holding out from the 49ers camp looking for a new deal. Mind you, his BASE salary this year is 20.2 million. His cap is 31.5 million.

He's under contract two more years with a base salary of 22 million next year. In 2026 his base is 36 million, which the 49ers will likely not want to pay. They may pay it but push a lot of it into void years down the road.

Would you extend a 36-year-old tackle who is under contract being paid near the top of the food chain beyond 2026? 

Edited by Old Guy

32 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Would you extend a 36-year-old tackle who is under contract being paid near the top of the food chain beyond 2026? 

Trent Williams is basically the engine that drives that offense though.  The rest of that offensive line is poor-to-average, but he's incredible and if you took that away a lot of the assumptions of the Shanahan Offense start failing.

49 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Trent Williams, 36 years old, is holding out from the 49ers camp looking for a new deal. Mind you, his BASE salary this year is 20.2 million. His cap is 31.5 million.

He's under contract two more years with a base salary of 22 million next year. In 2026 his base is 36 million, which the 49ers will likely not want to pay. They may pay it but push a lot of it into void years down the road.

Definitely not, not even for Trent who has played at the top of his position for years. Maybe the OG is just tired of camp, which is understandable. They probably make some concession but I would be surprised if he gets more years guaranteed on the deal. Lynch has built an insanely good roster but the depth has been sacrificed to keep top flight vets and those vets cost real money. 

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

No guarantees. Not sure he wants a raise, but a restructure.

From the brief snippet I read

Edited by HighCalebR