NFL News & Notes

Leader

25 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

No guarantees. Not sure he wants a raise, but a restructure.

From the brief snippet I read

You gonna give him guarantees beyond this year?  He's 36 years old. 

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

what is the alternative for SF?

they lost the 3 regular season games that Williams didn't play in 2023.  He is a pretty important piece to their playoff/super bowl aspirations

Just now, squire12 said:

what is the alternative for SF?

they lost the 3 regular season games that Williams didn't play in 2023.  He is a pretty important piece to their playoff/super bowl aspirations

Since I'm not a 49er fan, I hope they guarantee all three years left on his deal. I guess I'd offer to guarantee his money this year. Maybe a smallish portion of next year's money. 

Also, obviously I'm not a GM. If the 49ers are all in this year, maybe they cave and guarantee a whole bunch more money. 

15 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

For the year probably. Doesn't want to get injured day one of camp and cut. Turn it into a year by year thing for these last 3.

Edited by HighCalebR

28 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

For the year probably. Doesn't want to get injured day one of camp and cut. Turn it into a year by year thing for these last 3.

I'm a bit confused. Are you going to guarantee his money next year or this year only when you say, 'turn it into a year-by-year thing!'

I could absolutely see them guarantee his money this year. 

Edited by Old Guy

25 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I'm a bit confused. Are you going to guarantee his money next year or this year only when you say, 'turn it into a year-by-year thing!'

I could absolutely see them guarantee his money this year. 

Guarantee money this year and get team options going forward.. or just do this dance every year. I assume Trent doesn't know if he'll play next year until next year comes anyways.

19 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Guarantee money this year and get team options going forward.. or just do this dance every year. I assume Trent doesn't know if he'll play next year until next year comes anyways.

It actually seems crazy to me they wouldn't guarantee his money this year. Without him their offensive line sort of falls apart. They have enough cap space for this year. Why **** with it?

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

It actually seems crazy to me they wouldn't guarantee his money this year. Without him their offensive line sort of falls apart. They have enough cap space for this year. Why **** with it?

They know they aren’t releasing him this year and unless he falls off, the same goes for next year. They self-plroclaim as prioritizing those who touch the ball, and haven’t invested any hall fine and dandy until an aggressive defense smothers CMC and knocks Purdy around.

On 7/24/2024 at 11:45 AM, ThatJerkDave said:

Those early 2000s teams weren't terrible either.  Justin Smith was a heck of a pass rusher coming out of Mizzou, then gained weight to be come more of a space eating 34 end later in his career.  I believe they also had Takeo Spikes.  They have had periods with some good players.  But they always have depth issues.  And I don't recall them ever having an above average offensive line.  

They also have bad f'in luck. The 81 Bengals team was really good but ran into Montana/Walsh right as they were coming into their own; the 88 Bengals team ran into Walsh/Montana at the peak of their powers; those early 00s teams were great but every time they looked like they could make a run Carson Palmer would have a freak injury....Andy Dalton wasn't as good as him, but was fine but still they couldn't buy a break in the playoffs. 

They were a lost franchise in the 90s, which colors everyone's perception, but they've been competitive or better for most of their existence. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Gannon should stand downhill from a rolling boulder and then reconsider his answer.

Momentum in physics definitely exists. 

Most research on momentum in sports is "you don't have until you do, and then you have it until you don't...there is no rhyme or reason as to the change between the two states"

We've all seen teams come out hot and then just....stop clicking. Or a team that you're beating the crap out of suddenly rattles off 3 great scoring drives and stops your offense cold. 

• Like 1

I mean, isn't the consensus that "momentum in sports" from an internal perspective is largely emotional, as in "when good things happen for you that builds confidence, when bad things happen for you that depletes confidence, confidence helps you play better?  But also sometimes no matter how good you're feeling sometimes things don't work out for reasons beyond your control.

From an audience perspective it's just "sometimes good things happen in series, and sometimes bad things happen in series, and we can fit a narrative to that."

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Trent Williams, 36 years old, is holding out from the 49ers camp looking for a new deal. Mind you, his BASE salary this year is 20.2 million. His cap is 31.5 million.

He's under contract two more years with a base salary of 22 million next year. In 2026 his base is 36 million, which the 49ers will likely not want to pay. They may pay it but push a lot of it into void years down the road.

Would you extend a 36-year-old tackle who is under contract being paid near the top of the food chain beyond 2026? 

Williams has had foot/ankle/leg issues in his recent past. Even now I think its pushing it, having him as a starter, I don't expect the 49ers to get more than half a season from him this year.

It was obvious (to me) that the 49ers have neglected their O line for too long and even this year they could have taken an OT with their first pick, but chose a skill player (WR Pearsall) instead, as they so often do. Relying on a guy like Williams at his age is borderline irresponsible. They have had the option for a few years to spend a 2nd/3rd/4th round pick and develop someone, but chose to draft elsewhere. Now their need has become critical and really required at least their first if not a move up three picks (above Dallas) to get someone like Guyton (and even then Guyton probably needs some time to learn).

Although SF do a lot of things well (which is why they are a top team) they do seem to have dropped the ball here. If they had addressed their OT before this year they could have taken Power-Johnson this year and really solidified their line, but they chose not to. I expect that to really bite them through the season.

Contrast the 49ers with the Packers. The Pack already had two young bona fide starters at tackle in Tom and Walker..............and they still used their first round pick on a Tackle.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

19 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, isn't the consensus that "momentum in sports" from an internal perspective is largely emotional, as in "when good things happen for you that builds confidence, when bad things happen for you that depletes confidence, confidence helps you play better?  But also sometimes no matter how good you're feeling sometimes things don't work out for reasons beyond your control.

From an audience perspective it's just "sometimes good things happen in series, and sometimes bad things happen in series, and we can fit a narrative to that."

Human brains seek out patterns, and I think "momentum" fits that. 

Telling people "stuff works until it doesn't" is really unsatisfying.