NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Anyone know of a team having a kicker battle in camp where the kickers are actually good?

I would look at Pit. Both Wright or Boswelll are upgrades imo. Maybe Brown on the Rams.

Edited by Spartacus

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Anyone know of a team having a kicker battle in camp where the kickers are actually good?

Only the Packers.

24 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I would look at Pit. Both Wright or Boswelll are upgrades imo. Maybe Brown on the Rams.

Boswell isn't an upgrade to anything. 

The only Brown on the Rams roster is a NT, the only kicker on the Rams roster is the rookie they drafted in the 6th round this year. 

38 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Brown was released last week on Rams. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing if he's worth anything.

13 minutes ago, R T said:

Boswell isn't an upgrade to anything. 

2023: Boswell: 93.5 FG % including 6/7 from 50+ 96.4 XP % only missing 1. 

2023: Carlson: 81.8 FG % including 3/5 from 50+ 87.2 XP % 

In what world would he not be an upgrade? 

Just to add Wright didn't really play in 2023 but did play in 2022: 83 FG % 100 XP %

Tanner Brown doesn't have any game snaps but played well in PS however was pretty poor in game. 

29 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Just to add Wright didn't really play in 2023 but did play in 2022: 83 FG % 100 XP %

Boswell's age (33) is the negative, but he'd certainly be an upgrade for GB.  Over 9 seasons as the PIT kicker, his FG% has been over 90 six times, including four of the past five seasons.  He had a rough 2022, so it's not like he's immune to slumps.  Regardless, Boswell is under contract with PIT through 2026, and I'm not seeing any reason for them to release him now for the likes of Wright.

As for Wright, I wouldn't have any more confidence in him than I have in the guys GB already has.

20 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Tanner Brown doesn't have any game snaps but played well in PS however was pretty poor in game. 

And the year before Boswell 71.4% on FGs, had another year where he was 65.0%.

Carlson was coming off a leg injury in his SR year Auburn and the Packers new it would be a process to develop him and may take some time. To their credit they have not just handed him the job and have made him earn it this year, yet many fans are prisoners of the moment and insist on throwing the baby out with the bath water here. Carlson could still fall on his face and the Packers have a new kicker for the opener, but whoever the kicker is he will miss FGs at Lambeau late in the year and have a lower percentage than kickers who kick in good conditions. Just part of being the kicker for the Packers.     

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, R T said:

And the year before Boswell 71.4% on FGs, had another year where he was 65.0%.

Carlson was coming off a leg injury in his SR year Auburn and the Packers new it would be a process to develop him and may take some time. To their credit they have not just handed him the job and have made him earn it this year, yet many fans are prisoners of the moment and insist on throwing the baby out with the bath water here. Carlson could still fall on his face and the Packers have a new kicker for the opener, but whoever the kicker is he will miss FGs at Lambeau late in the year and have a lower percentage than kickers who kick in good conditions. Just part of being the kicker for the Packers.     

He tore his ACL in 2021. He played his red-shirt senior season in 2022. We drafted him in 2023 so last year he was a year removed from that injury. 

Pretty wild quote from Tua when asked about the difference between playing for McDaniel vs Flores.  I get that as a HC you don't necessarily want to coddle these guys, but if that's really how Flores went about coaching Tua as a rookie, that's kind of crazy.  It's no wonder Flores got dumped.

"To put it in the simplest terms, if you woke up every morning and I told you that you suck at what you did, that you don't belong doing what you do, that you shouldn't be here, that this guy should be here, that you haven't earned this," Tagovailoa said, describing Flores' coaching style. "And then you have somebody else come in and tell you, 'Dude, you are the best fit for this. You're accurate. You're the best whatever, you're this, you're that.' How would it make you feel listening to one or the other?"

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Pretty wild quote from Tua when asked about the difference between playing for McDaniel vs Flores.  I get that as a HC you don't necessarily want to coddle these guys, but if that's really how Flores went about coaching Tua as a rookie, that's kind of crazy.  It's no wonder Flores got dumped.

Flores didn't want Tua (from reports I remember) and held that against him 

Many Packers fans (me included) wanted Graham Barton to be the G/T prospect drafted by GB in RD1, and were disappointed when he went to TAM one pick after GB took Morgan.  Turns out Barton is not playing either G or T, but has been named their starting C.  By all accounts I've read, he's looked good so far.

16 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Flores didn't want Tua (from reports I remember) and held that against him 

Seems Flores didn't want to keep his job either. You can't treat modern day athletes like this. That is not to say they are coddled, even though they are. 

It is no way to get the best out of anybody. Who cares who Flores wanted, coach the guy you got to be his best. 

Flores sounds like a complete jackass. 

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Seems Flores didn't want to keep his job either. You can't treat modern day athletes like this. That is not to say they are coddled, even though they are. 

It is no way to get the best out of anybody. Who cares who Flores wanted, coach the guy you got to be his best. 

Flores sounds like a complete jackass. 

Agreed.  Flores still looking for  HC position as well.

12 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Agreed.  Flores still looking for  HC position as well.

Now I wonder if the Tua quotes will be used against Flores in his racism lawsuit.  As a GM, I'd want no part of Flores as HC if those quotes are valid.

54 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Many Packers fans (me included) wanted Graham Barton to be the G/T prospect drafted by GB in RD1, and were disappointed when he went to TAM one pick after GB took Morgan.  Turns out Barton is not playing either G or T, but has been named their starting C.  By all accounts I've read, he's looked good so far.

Slight correction.....
The proper (logistics) designation for Tampa is TPA.
It's best to get these things straightened out in the preseason :)