NFL News & Notes

Leader

11 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'll be interested in seeing how Nix pans out for DEN now that he's been named QB1.  Seems like there was a lot of Nix bashing in here prior to the draft.

Your first line seems a bit contradictory to your second one. Being named the starter does not preclude those who don't believe in the kid from potentially being right. A whole lot of 1st round quarterbacks have failed miserably that started week 1. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'll be interested in seeing how Nix pans out for DEN now that he's been named QB1.  Seems like there was a lot of Nix bashing in here prior to the draft.

He can definitely make medium range throws against college coverage. 

If payton can sheme the short game for Brees donno why he couldnt for Nix. Idk if the Broncos have serious playmakers and theyre well handicapped.. hopefully hes the best rookie of the class.

49 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I liked him coming out and thought he was being slept on a little bit.  Seemed like a lot of folks didn't like how long he played in college or the depth of his passes.

But he looked pro-ready to me.  And those short passes?  Aaron Rodgers had a lot of a years when he was taking passes within 5 yards of the LOS.  That kind of game can work in the NFL, but here's the difference.  Rodgers had already proven that he could throw deep and intermediate passes.

Nix will have to show that, and I dare say, in a hurry or those short passes are going to be very congested.

He showed a little more athleticism than I thought he had, too.  I feel like he's a good talent to work with Payton from Day One.

32 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

If payton can sheme the short game for Brees donno why he couldnt for Nix. Idk if the Broncos have serious playmakers and theyre well handicapped.. hopefully hes the best rookie of the class.

My version of this is more like if Purdy can be an effective QB in the right system, I think Nix probably can too.  Nix landed in a good spot with Payton, who obviously thinks Nix can thrive in his scheme.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

Reading the tea leaves here. This seems like a precursor to Washington trading for Jaden Daniels old teammate, Brandon Aiyuk. 

Loaded up on some draft picks to send to SF. 

That makes a lot of sense now.

11 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Reading the tea leaves here. This seems like a precursor to Washington trading for Jaden Daniels old teammate, Brandon Aiyuk. 

Loaded up on some draft picks to send to SF. 

Kudos if this plays out like you said.  That hadn't even crossed my mind.

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

My thoughts exactly. It's not like Brees had some kind of prolific arm talent. I dont think Nix does either, but can be a game manager / steady / get it done kinda QB? I think with his pedigree, he stands a good chance to be at least that if not more.