NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Skip Clueless is an *******! Also, Trey Lance has not played a whole lot of football. He should have never come out in 2021. 

Times have changed. QB's don't have to stay in the closet anymore.  

8 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I don't think Dak is getting paid until after the year and then only if he wins some playoff games. 

Dak is in the final year of his deal and DAL cannot tag him.  Barring injury, Dak's next contract will have the highest AAV in the league, and will have more guaranteed cash than anyone but Watson.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

DAL playing hardball with Dak on the first extension has really come full circle.  Dak now has the kind of leverage Joe Douglas can only dream of.

Dak has a $40M cap charge in 2025 from void years.  Dallas is in a real rough spot

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

DAL playing hardball with Dak on the first extension has really come full circle.  Dak now has the kind of leverage Joe Douglas can only dream of.

If Rodgers retires, Joe Douglas can spend big on Dak!  The leverage of the Jets may upset Earth on its axis.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Trey Lance has not played a whole lot of football. He should have never come out in 2021. 

Lance got screwed by covid.  He was someone who got circled by scouts as having excellent tools early on the process, but he never got to play that showcase final season since FCS cancelled their whole season in 2020 (these are smaller schools with fewer resources, after all), and they just played the one exhibition game against Central Arkansas.  When it came time to get ready for the draft it wasn't totally clear if there was going to be a next FCS season either (they played the "2020" season starting February of 2021, so are they going to play in the fall too?)

But then again, he also got a season ending injury in his first game as a starter for the 49ers, so he might just be chronically unlucky.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Dak is in the final year of his deal and DAL cannot tag him.  Barring injury, Dak's next contract will have the highest AAV in the league, and will have more guaranteed cash than anyone but Watson.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I still think Jerry will wait on Dak. 

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

That wasn't the part I disagree with.

Yeah, I wasn't clear that it would be Dallas paying him. Even if Jerry doesn't, quarterback desperate teams are going to be all over him. 

17 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Lance got screwed by covid.  He was someone who got circled by scouts as having excellent tools early on the process, but he never got to play that showcase final season since FCS cancelled their whole season in 2020 (these are smaller schools with fewer resources, after all), and they just played the one exhibition game against Central Arkansas.  When it came time to get ready for the draft it wasn't totally clear if there was going to be a next FCS season either (they played the "2020" season starting February of 2021, so are they going to play in the fall too?)

But then again, he also got a season ending injury in his first game as a starter for the 49ers, so he might just be chronically unlucky.

My main concern with Lance is his lack of development.  He didn't really get better with the 49ers, who were able to find success with Brock Purdy and Jimmy G.  And he isn't getting better with Mike McCarthy, who has a very good track record for QBs, 2013 notwithstanding.  I didn't watch the Cowboys preseason games, but looking at Lance's stat line, I am not really impressed (pink lines in the link below, scroll down a little).  He had two games with over 40 attempts, and the other he had 23 attempts.  This was very much like a regular season workload.  Even if we throw out the INTs, he only managed 2 TDs over 113 attempts, and the games he had the most passing attempts, the Cowboys scored 12 and 19 points.  He is still just 24 years old, but this is also his fourth season. The clock is ticking.

https://www.footballdb.com/players/trey-lance-lancetr01

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

My main concern with Lance is his lack of development.  He didn't really get better with the 49ers, who were able to find success with Brock Purdy and Jimmy G.  And he isn't getting better with Mike McCarthy, who has a very good track record for QBs, 2013 notwithstanding.  I didn't watch the Cowboys preseason games, but looking at Lance's stat line, I am not really impressed (pink lines in the link below, scroll down a little).  He had two games with over 40 attempts, and the other he had 23 attempts.  This was very much like a regular season workload.  Even if we throw out the INTs, he only managed 2 TDs over 113 attempts, and the games he had the most passing attempts, the Cowboys scored 12 and 19 points.  He is still just 24 years old, but this is also his fourth season. The clock is ticking.

https://www.footballdb.com/players/trey-lance-lancetr01

You are comparing a guy in Purdy, who played a ton of college football at D1 school. With a guy who played D2 and didn't play much at all. 

Lance was the perfect guy to draft and sit for 2 - 3 years, if a team had patience. 

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

You are comparing a guy in Purdy, who played a ton of college football at D1 school. With a guy who played D2 and didn't play much at all. 

Lance was the perfect guy to draft and sit for 2 - 3 years, if a team had patience. 

He didn't play D2.

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Lance certainly would have been better suited sitting a few years.  But SF gave up so much draft capital that it was harder to justify doing that....and there is some level of hubris in Shanahan believing he can turn any QB into a high level starter 

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

He has had the better part of 3 seasons on the bench though.  He has only played in 8 games.  Anthony Richardson is progressing, he only had 13 college starts and was injured after playing 4 games. And Lance has had better situations, IMO with the 9ers and Cowboys to develop vs the 2023 Colts.

11 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Yeah, Purdy and Garoppolo were both 4 year starters at ISU and Eastern Illinois.   It's hard to get further from "the Trey Lance" experience than that.  Even the best of the best QB prospects don't start for four years- they redshirt and they come out early.

The real reason the 49ers jettisoned him was basically "we can't run the same offense with Trey Lance and Brock Purdy, but we can run the same offense with Brock Purdy and Sam Darnold."  Presumably had Lance not gotten injured in his first start for the 49ers, he would have shown significantly more progress since he's probably just a guy who needs reps in the worst way.

• Like 1