How would Brees have done on the Steelers from 06 to the present?

patriotsheatyan

12 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

I think this is comical because I saw the 2005 season. I watched it in detail and Drew Brees was widely mocked as the reason why the Chargers didn't make the playoffs. And you know what? The hot takes weren't that wrong.

The 2005 AFC West was pretty competitive that year. Actually the entire AFC. The Chargers finished 9-7, but Brees still had a quality season. 8th in DYAR. He has been good since 2004 when the light came on.

Of the seven losses the Chargers had that year, one team finished with a losing record. Brees wasn't the reason the team missed out. He was the reason they were in contention until week 16.

13 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

The 2005 AFC West was pretty competitive that year. Actually the entire AFC. The Chargers finished 9-7, but Brees still had a quality season. 8th in DYAR. He has been good since 2004 when the light came on.

Of the seven losses the Chargers had that year, one team finished with a losing record. Brees wasn't the reason the team missed out. He was the reason they were in contention until week 16.

It's pure revisionist history to even suggest this is how people felt about Brees at the time.

On 1/18/2018 at 5:44 PM, sammymvpknight said:

Tough to say he would have been better because Brees is a 1st ballot HOF and one of the best QBs ever on the Saints. Payton and Brees have an excellent rapport and I think that would have been lost going to the Steelers. Antonio Brown is insane and Brees has never had a WR like that (though Colston and Graham were very good, and Thomas is probably special). 

Id day he would still be a HOF. I think he’s better than Big Ben and Bog Ben will probably get lots of HOF consideration. Number of Super Bowls? At least the number Big Ben has right now. 

Big Ben is also a first ballot HOF lock, and Brees has his work cut out for him in terms of reaching two more Super Bowls. Drew Brees would have to make a larger adjustment playing in Pittsburgh outdoors on that turf, his accuracy wouldn't be the same. Also keep in mind Brees has the luxury of playing in a division with warmer sites.   

20 hours ago, LaserFocus said:

Big Ben is also a first ballot HOF lock, and Brees has his work cut out for him in terms of reaching two more Super Bowls. Drew Brees would have to make a larger adjustment playing in Pittsburgh outdoors on that turf, his accuracy wouldn't be the same. Also keep in mind Brees has the luxury of playing in a division with warmer sites.   

Would Big Ben have been as good as Brees in New Orleans?

The best answer to the question is that both players were on teams that worked extremely well with what they do well.  Brees probably wouldn't have worked well with the Steelers unless they completely retooled how they run their offense, same with Big Ben if he went to New Orleans.  

45 minutes ago, Raves said:

Would Big Ben have been as good as Brees in New Orleans?

The best answer to the question is that both players were on teams that worked extremely well with what they do well.  Brees probably wouldn't have worked well with the Steelers unless they completely retooled how they run their offense, same with Big Ben if he went to New Orleans.  

Big Ben would have had the advantage of playing in better climates, which helps any type of offensive scheme. And not having to play the Baltimore Ravens twice a season would be a big plus. Heinz Field has one of the worst surfaces in the NFL, and combined with the bad weather, would be a more difficult challenge for Brees.

Just as intriguing of a question is....how would Ben do playing in a dome/favorable weather most of the time with Sean Peyton running his offense?

Not knocking Brees at all, but situation can mean the difference between success and failure for almost any player. 

Do I think Brees wouldve been good in Pittsburgh?  Sure.  Would he have notably more success than Ben or become the same Brees we know today?  Very questionable.

I think this is comical because I saw the 2005 season. I watched it in detail and Drew Brees was widely mocked as the reason why the Chargers didn't make the playoffs. And you know what? The hot takes weren't that wrong.

I remember that season and Brees wasn't the reason why they missed the playoffs. The main reason was AJ suspending Gates for the first game of the season. It was the main reason why they ended up losing to Dallas, which ended up costing them a playoff spot.

Hell, we would have brought Drew back if Marty hadn't been dumb by playing him in a meaningless game in week 17 (that was the game in which he blew out his shoulder). 

20 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Just as intriguing of a question is....how would Ben do playing in a dome/favorable weather most of the time with Sean Peyton running his offense?

Not knocking Brees at all, but situation can mean the difference between success and failure for almost any player. 

Do I think Brees wouldve been good in Pittsburgh?  Sure.  Would he have notably more success than Ben or become the same Brees we know today?  Very questionable.

I don't think Big Ben would've been as good with the Saints as Brees was/is because his playstyle doesn't mesh with the Payton offense, much like Brees would be with Cowher/Tomlin.  Both would've been successful in reversed roles but neither would've been as successful as the original.

Archived