How would Brees have done on the Steelers from 06 to the present?

patriotsheatyan

I know the Steelers have some good OL over the past 11 yrs but does Brees survive taking many of those same hits? Or are we supposed to believe it was just Ben holding the ball to long Trying to make a play like he's always done? 

I'm not saying Brees wouldn't or couldn't of become a HOF QB with Pittsburgh (still likely) but playing outdoors, without Payton and taking possibly even more punishment (injury) would of effected his overall numbers IMO.

I mean you can't just ask how would Brees do in Pittsburgh though, you need to ask how would Big Ben have done with New Orleans.  If you swap their teams from 2006 on, both would've done worse than the other did on their original team.  Both players were in a good situation for their respective talents.

47 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Brees best rating in San Diego was above Ben’s career high.

I think this is comical because I saw the 2005 season. I watched it in detail and Drew Brees was widely mocked as the reason why the Chargers didn't make the playoffs. And you know what? The hot takes weren't that wrong.

52 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

As far as domes go, I'd rather have years of elite, number 1 defenses helping out than playing in a dome. 

When exactly have the Steelers really had that? 2008 was as close as they came. And that defense almost blew the Super Bowl entirely in the second half once Todd Haley got out of his offense's way. What's forgotten? Roethlisberger actually completed a game ending pass that resulted in a safety, but it was negated by a hold on Sean Mahan (who knows that name?) and it resulted in a safety which gave the Cardinals the ball back. The Steelers haven't been any #1 elite defense any of the years in question.

Drew Brees is a failure in his career because he's never been as good as he's made out to be. He's just a guy who racks up worthless pinball stats when things didn't matter.

12 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I know the Steelers have some good OL over the past 11 yrs but does Brees survive taking many of those same hits? Or are we supposed to believe it was just Ben holding the ball to long Trying to make a play like he's always done? 

I'm not saying Brees wouldn't or couldn't of become a HOF QB with Pittsburgh (still likely) but playing outdoors, without Payton and taking possibly even more punishment (injury) would of effected his overall numbers IMO.

Brees can't scramble like Ben, but he's good at sliding around and subtle movements to avoid pressure.  As well as he gets the ball out quickly.  He's been pretty durable over the years even when taking hard licks.  He'll throw the ball away to avoid a sack, while Ben will try to scramble around and make a play, which is probably a better fit for Pittsburgh anyway.

But absolutely I believe Brees would have had success on any team with elite defensive play.  He wouldn't have thrown multiple seasons of 5k yards, but he wouldn't have needed to either.  

3 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

I think this is comical because I saw the 2005 season. I watched it in detail and Drew Brees was widely mocked as the reason why the Chargers didn't make the playoffs. And you know what? The hot takes weren't that wrong.

When exactly have the Steelers really had that? 2008 was as close as they came. And that defense almost blew the Super Bowl entirely in the second half once Todd Haley got out of his offense's way. What's forgotten? Roethlisberger actually completed a game ending pass that resulted in a safety, but it was negated by a hold on Sean Mahan (who knows that name?) and it resulted in a safety which gave the Cardinals the ball back. The Steelers haven't been any #1 elite defense any of the years in question.

Drew Brees is a failure in his career because he's never been as good as he's made out to be. He's just a guy who racks up worthless pinball stats when things didn't matter.

Are you trolling on purpose?  Steelers haven't had elite defenses?  Not lately, but in the past definitely.

A QB that won a superbowl is a failure?  

18 minutes ago, Shady Slim said:

brees being a garbage time stat padder has to be the worst hot take that always seems to somehow rear its' ugly head because it's so hilariously wrong

if brees is a garbage time stat padder then oj loved nicole ffs lol

Even if we assume that every 4th quarter TD Brees has ever thrown was garbage time, that still leaves him 364 TDs, good for 5th on the all time list.  That would also leave him with 52,294 yards, or 5th on the all time list.  And that's ignoring every pass attempt in the 4th quarter or overtime.

Bulk stats aside, I think his postseason play is better evidence than anything else that he's more than garbage stats.

2 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Hahahahahahaha I've seen hot takes on here, but this might take the cake. Yikes..

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

steelers OL was one of the worst until 2010 , but then regressed in 2011 and rebounded for good 2012. So could anyone serve 6 out of 7 years because Ben played a lot of street football as they called it.  Just terrible to watch really, made me sick at times. Now the OL is good but the damage has been done to Ben, and Brees might have been IR's like I thought ben would have been. 

Agree with your last paragraph as well. If only Ben had a good OL the whole time,  but at least he is still alive and able to walk, but it was that bad.

33 minutes ago, Malik said:

Wait, we are going with the lie that the Steelers haven't had elite defenses? Ben has had elite defenses more often than Drew Brees has had defenses that were in the top HALF of the league.

this has an overall effect too.  When Brees had  DC williams on his side for , they won SB outdoors in the rain.  If he only had such a D or better for most of his career. We are seeing what an average D has done for ben in recent time haven't we? Team sport isn't it?

3 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

this has an overall effect too.  When Brees had  DC williams on his side for , they won SB outdoors in the rain.  If he only had such a D or better for most of his career. We are seeing what an average D has done for ben in recent time haven't we? Team sport isn't it?

Perenially bad defenses have helped Brees rack up yardage, that's no doubt.  But I don't think any serious fan uses bulk yardage to judge QBs anyway.  Some better defenses would have given him more postseason success, and I think that would go a lot farther in people's opinions on Brees, even though it's not entirely fair.  I mean, if not for a miracle play last weekend, he'd have an amazing 17 point comeback against the league number 1 defense on his resume that sent his team to the NFCCG.   And similar stories in 2010 and 2011. 

And you can say he played poorly in the first half, but that's not any different than Brady vs Atlanta superbowl, or Brady throwing early picks against the Seahawks.  One had a defense that created a game winning miracle play, and one had a defense that gave up a game winning miracle play.

Now I'm not saying Brady isn't great, he played excellently both games, I'm only using it as an example of how situations not under the QB's control can affect the outcome of the game and the way people perceive it. 

And you're absolutely right, it's a team sport.

43 minutes ago, 3rivers said:
3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

steelers OL was one of the worst until 2010 , but then regressed in 2011 and rebounded for good 2012. So could anyone serve 6 out of 7 years because Ben played a lot of street football as they called it.  Just terrible to watch really, made me sick at times. Now the OL is good but the damage has been done to Ben, and Brees might have been IR's like I thought ben would have been. 

Agree with your last paragraph as well. If only Ben had a good OL the whole time,  but at least he is still alive and able to walk, but it was that bad.

Yeah I didn't want to come off like as$ but I'd be shocked if Drew Brees wasn't having a 2nd surgery on that shoulder if a Steeler during that time frame. Agree!

9 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Yeah I didn't want to come off like as$ but I'd be shocked if Drew Brees wasn't having a 2nd surgery on that shoulder if a Steeler during that time frame. Agree!

I couldn't believe ben wasn't put on IR or had his career ended, that bad. 

Archived