Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

20 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

I'm surprised that Julien wasn't called up with all of the injuries.  Is he still struggling in the minors?

In choosing a replacement for Miranda on Sunday, the Twins opted for Castillo over Edouard Julien for several reasons

Many reasons were at play, though the first offers a glimpse into the team’s level of concern about how long Miranda may be out of the lineup. The Twins backdated Miranda’s injury to Thursday, which means he’ll miss only Saturday’s game against Milwaukee as long as his lower back stiffness subsides. Given the seemingly temporary nature of the IL stint and San Francisco starting the lefty Snell on Sunday, Baldelli wanted Castillo’s right-handed bat in the lineup. That was the overriding factor, though the team also is trying to implement approach adjustments with Julien, who is heating up.

“We consider everything,” Baldelli said. “(Julien) is making adjustments and working on things, and he needs to keep playing regularly no matter what’s going on. Could that have been him? Absolutely. But we’re also about to hit the All-Star break right now. We have one game. We’re facing a left-hander. We need someone to play (Sunday).”

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5637441/2024/07/15/minnesota-twins-mlb-first-half-season/?source=emp_shared_article

• Like 2

Walk off series win at significantly less than full strength against the best team in baseball feels pretty good. Oustanding starting pitching from the Twins depth. 17.1 innings from the starters and only 3 earned runs.

• Like 2

On 7/9/2024 at 11:30 AM, Heimdallr said:

Lod is probably the best player, along with Pukki, Oluwaseyi, Hlongwane, Rosales, and Boxall.

The transfer window opens in a few days so hopefully some new signings come in, because it has been a really rough 2 months. So many people have been gone on international duty or injured. We need bodies. 

Forgot to mention, I was at Saturdays game. Sang-bin was a lot of fun to watch, has he not been like that all season? 

14 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Forgot to mention, I was at Saturdays game. Sang-bin was a lot of fun to watch, has he not been like that all season? 

He is definitely fun to watch. Incredibly fast. He just makes some weird decisions sometimes and his shots/passes aren't the most consistent. He hasn't really found his groove and confidence yet, but it usually takes players about a year to really settle into MLS.

6 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Any juicy Twins rumors in advance of the trade deadline?

What should they look to be adding?

Alas, the main rumor is they won't spend money.... They really need a LH RP badly. Other than that, it's hard to see them adding a hitter, given the squad and AA players. 

On 7/24/2024 at 2:18 PM, vike daddy said:

how many Minnesotans are competing in the Summer Olympics? any of them likely to win medals?

don'tcha know....

The United States' first medal of the 2024 Paris Olympics went to a former Gopher.

Diver Sarah Bacon, a five-time NCAA champion at the University of Minnesota, won silver with partner Kassidy Cook in women's synchronized 3-meter springboard.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-sports/first-u-s-medal-at-the-paris-olympics-goes-to-a-former-gopher?

On 7/27/2024 at 9:19 PM, vike daddy said:

The United States' first medal of the 2024 Paris Olympics went to a former Gopher.

Diver Sarah Bacon, a five-time NCAA champion at the University of Minnesota, won silver with partner Kassidy Cook in women's synchronized 3-meter springboard.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-sports/first-u-s-medal-at-the-paris-olympics-goes-to-a-former-gopher?

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952b3198odvjsrwuymcqac

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

Are the twins going to do anything? Could they trade Kepler to a contending team and use that salary to go after a pitcher?

Doubtful. I think they only way they make any moves is with teams that are willing to absorb some of the remaining contract, or for a rental/expiring contract that has mostly been paid out this year.

LRP or another starter better than Festa/Paddack/Varland are the only moves I think they'll make. I could maybe see Margot in the mix, but would likely need to be a prospect/s outside of the top 10. 

Kikuchi or Flaherty for starters, maybe Tanner Scott as a relief option. Otherwise the team is going to have to get healthy and stay productive to have a chance to build on last year.

Edited by JDBrocks

37 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Doubtful. I think they only way they make any moves is with teams that are willing to absorb some of the remaining contract, or for a rental/expiring contract that has mostly been paid out this year.

LRP or another starter better than Festa/Paddack/Varland are the only moves I think they'll make. I could maybe see Margot in the mix, but would likely need to be a prospect/s outside of the top 10. 

Kikuchi or Flaherty for starters, maybe Tanner Scott as a relief option. Otherwise the team is going to have to get healthy and stay productive to have a chance to build on last year.

It is rumored NYY is getting Flaherty and dealing Cortes. The Yankees might want Kepler.....That would actually save MN money, which appears to be important this year.

LRP is the biggest need, and health for Lewis and CC.....

• Like 1