(Poll) Predict the QB John Dorsey Wants at Number 1

Mind Character

(Poll) Which QB Does John Dorsey Want at Number 1?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. (Poll) Which QB Does John Dorsey Want at Number 1?

6 hours ago, Mastercheddaar said:

My Draft order for QBs is: Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, Jackson. I really cannot get behind drafting Baker. All I see is johnny 2.0. It is hard to look past ego and mistakes previous FOs have made. Give me a blue collared kid with humility like Darnold or Allen any day over the show boat. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

1. Where do you think humility ranks on the list of QB traits that equate to success?

2. Do you actually know this dude, or is this just your interpretation of his personality based on your casual following of the last 18 months of his football games?

40 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Don't know, but it should rank pretty high in any calling.

To paraphrase Daniel Jeremiah’s story of Sam Darnold’s reaction to a teammate’s question when they were down late in a shootout and USC just got the ball back and the teammate asked Darnold “aren’t you nervous?”, his reply was “Why would I be nervous, the best guy is going to win.” 

And then he did.  

Is that humility? Is Babe Ruth calling his shot humility? Jordan from the foul line with his eyes closed? Is anything about LeBron humble?

Lots of great men lack humility, it’s part of what makes them tick. It takes a certain inherent level of hubris to believe that you can be the best in the world at something. 

Sure, some guys like Peyton Manning May have the “Awe shucks fellas, I’m just trying to do my best” routine down, but all these guys think pretty highly of their skills and abilities.  They wouldn’t have gotten this far if they didn’t.

I’m not saying humility isn’t a good thing, I just don’t think you need tons of it to be a successful QB.

21 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I completely agree, I just wouldn’t disqualify someone for *potentially* lacking it (we don’t honestly know a thing about the kid’s personality).

Yes, we do.

A thing is what it does.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

But you only see him doing things 3 hours per week, 13 weeks per year. I think it’s fair to say we may be missing some things.

Yes, for better or for worse.

I do want any more doubt than is necessary about our QBOTF.

8 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

So the L.A. kid is blue collar? When did that happen? Or maybe they changed the definition of blue collar.

https://heavy.com/sports/2017/09/claire-kirksey-sam-darnold-girlfriend-usc-photos-pictures-instagram/

I'm a bit confused, what's that article meant to prove?

Darnold isn't exactly from the roughest, most working class area in the world. But he's not Josh Rosen. Rosen is from Manhattan beach, a place where nobody is really from. Son of a renowned spinal surgeon who was almost surgeon general for Obama I think. He's rich and to be honest he acts like it.

Darnold is from San Clemente, his dad works in hospitals too, but as a plumber. I read a story that his parents bypassed wedding and honeymoon stuff and used the money they had to buy a rundown house that had previously been used as a meth lab or something like that. Might be wrong but I recall reading a long piece about it. I've seen interviews of his parents and they come across like very common people.

I'm not saying any of the things above are hard evidence that Darnold is a blue-collar guy, but I am saying that I don't know what the article above about his current college gf is supposed to suggest.

For what it's worth, and I don't think it's much, because I don't really care where a guy is from, I like what I've seen from Darnold and his overall attitude. He held back on going to Utah and other schools, in order to go to USC and prove he is better than the five star prospects in Max Browne and Ricky Town. He then outperformed them in camp and still wasn't made the starter because Helton wanted to keep his redshirt rights and play the 5 star guy even though he knew it was the wrong choice. They got blown out twice then Darnold got in and won every game that year except his debut. Culminating in a 52-49 Rose Bowl where he was as calm and composed as you could hope for.

I'm a lot more interested in a prospects on field ability, but I do think Darnold is the kid from LA that is a good fit for Cleveland. The other kid from artificial-LA is also a great prospect in my opinion, but I admit I'm less confident about his fit in Cleveland.

11 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

So the L.A. kid is blue collar? When did that happen? Or maybe they changed the definition of blue collar.

https://heavy.com/sports/2017/09/claire-kirksey-sam-darnold-girlfriend-usc-photos-pictures-instagram/

16 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

1. Where do you think humility ranks on the list of QB traits that equate to success?

2. Do you actually know this dude, or is this just your interpretation of his personality based on your casual following of the last 18 months of his football games?

I read a report on him and saw something on ESPN. His father is a plumber and mother is a teacher. Those are blue collared jobs. Also everyone only has nice things to say about Darnold. Lastly humility is one of the biggest factors in success. 

Probably not known about me but I'm a 3rd degree black belt in Shotokan with 12+ years experience in kickboxing and BJJ. I help train kick boxers and MMA fighters. The ones with moxie and attitude were always the quickest to blame someone else for their defeats and never had what it took to take their game to the next level. Don't get me wrong, they had skill but their egos always got in the way. Ones with humility were always willing to shut their mouths and learn. They admitted their mistakes and became better because of them. Give me 1 kid with humility over 10 with moxie any day of the week. But egos, testosterone and the next alley cat that thinks he is a lion is about par for MMA now a days.  

Now again just a gut feeling but Sam Darnold on paper looks like a guy who has the size, skill, strength, and mental qualities we want in a franchise QB. Darnold > Mayfield. That's just my opinion take it for what its worth. 

That is all

mastercheddaar

19 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

I read a report on him and saw something on ESPN. His father is a plumber and mother is a teacher. Those are blue collared jobs. Also everyone only has nice things to say about Darnold. Lastly humility is one of the biggest factors in success. 

Probably not known about me but I'm a 3rd degree black belt in Shotokan with 12+ years experience in kickboxing and BJJ. I help train kick boxers and MMA fighters. The ones with moxie and attitude were always the quickest to blame someone else for their defeats and never had what it took to take their game to the next level. Don't get me wrong, they had skill but their egos always got in the way. Ones with humility were always willing to shut their mouths and learn. They admitted their mistakes and became better because of them. Give me 1 kid with humility over 10 with moxie any day of the week. But egos, testosterone and the next alley cat that thinks he is a lion is about par for MMA now a days.  

Now again just a gut feeling but Sam Darnold on paper looks like a guy who has the size, skill, strength, and mental qualities we want in a franchise QB. Darnold > Mayfield. That's just my opinion take it for what its worth. 

That is all

mastercheddaar

I appreciate your point, but that really only answers the first question.

Does showing emotion, engaging in banter, etc mean he’s not humble? Does it mean he doesn’t accept responsibility for his mistakes or take coaching?

It seems as though you’re projecting your interpretation of the kid’s personality which has no actual basis in fact or reality at all, unless of course you know him.

THAT is the part Dorsey has to figure out.  Is he a humble, hardworking kid who has moments of immaturity or “wearing his heart on his sleeve”, or a general frat boy doosher? 

Im good with the former, not the latter and as a fan I don’t have enough info to make that determination yet so it’s hard to knock him for something that may not even be a real thing.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I appreciate your point, but that really only answers the first question.

Does showing emotion, engaging in banter, etc mean he’s not humble? Does it mean he doesn’t accept responsibility for his mistakes or take coaching?

It seems as though you’re projecting your interpretation of the kid’s personality which has no actual basis in fact or reality at all, unless of course you know him.

THAT is the part Dorsey has to figure out.  Is he a humble, hardworking kid who has moments of immaturity or “wearing his heart on his sleeve”, or a general frat boy doosher? 

Im good with the former, not the latter and as a fan I don’t have enough info to make that determination yet so it’s hard to knock him for something that may not even be a real thing.

Yeah I kind of realized that when I hit submit lol. 

True. I am showing bias towards Mayfield based on the antics and similarities with Johnny worthless. But we are sitting at #1 overall. If you have a player with no red flags being waved vs a player with a tiny red flag being waved, I'm going to pick the guy that seems to come with no baggage. 

But at the end of the day, Dorsey is going to make that decision. He works harder than 9 to 5 to figure this out and has access to stuff I do not. I'm just hoping Has"lame" doesn't pull another "Johnny football" command decision on us and makes his GM go against his research. 

And I'm making it a "For the Record" moment, if Dorsey picks Baker Mayfield #1 overall, I am going to be against it. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Archived